U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 08:40 PM

18,852 posts, read 32,311,404 times

Advertisements

I read product reviews on things, and am beginning to go crazy!

What is the disconnect, when for example, there are two completely opposite reviews of the same item?

Review One: "These are the greatest towels ever, soft, fluffy, thick, and color fast.".

Review Two: "These towels are junk, I have seen better towels at the Dollar Store, first time I washed them, they fell apart, and they felt like cheap toilet paper, about as thick too, and twice as rough.".

Which one do you believe? It drives me crazy.

Then, the product reviews from Ulta, for example, are so obviously fake, and written by staff, they are completely fake. They use the same exact verbiage in each review, and really, do ten people who buy eye shadow rave about the "Fantastic Pigmentation"? Really? "Amazing Coverage". Really?!

Okay, back to reviews on Amazon...there are 500 reviews on the Dyson Animal vacuum. Half say it is the best vacuum ever, half say it is over priced junk that can't pick up simple lint. What to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 PM

36,197 posts, read 26,195,497 times
Well, depends on the forum, but when I can I look at the other reviews by people. Are there any? If they have only one review I discount it immediately. If they have other reviews on products/restaurants, etc I'm familiar with I look at those to see if their tastes align with mine. Sometimes it is just the content of the review, what are they commenting on? Some people come across as nitpicky complainers so I take that into account. Not always easy.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:35 PM

994 posts, read 1,303,213 times
When there are too many conflicting reviews on a product on Amazon, I'll either a) look for a different product with more consistent reviews or b) read the 3-star reviews closest, and then see if the complaints in the 1 and 2-star reviews are petty issues that I can deal with.

For example, I bought a pair of headphones on Amazon and ALL the reviews for ALL the headphones I was choosing between were conflicting. So, I looked a little closer at the negative reviews and saw that some of the issues were a matter of preference (e.g. too much bass) as opposed to an actual issue with the quality of the headphones (e.g. they stop working after 6 months).

Old 12-17-2013, 01:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,924 posts, read 56,381,610 times
Most people only post reviews if they have a really good or really bad experience. Unless there are at least 50-100 you can't really go by what has been posted, the sample size is too small to make a decision, especially with regard to durability of products or reliability. When you see a whole facebook page with 100 members dedicated to the poor quality of an item (such as a TV brand) and the BBB rating is F then run away.

Last time we bought a vaccum cleaner I took a baggie full of dog hair and fir needles and tossed them on the floor. I asked the dealer which one would pick it up without clogging the rotary brush channels. We have had vacuum that one for 12 years now. It was a commercial model and cost $600 but we spent more than that over 3 years buying cheap ones that fell apart or clogged every other time we used them.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:00 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,498,391 times
Consumer Reports... better than any in-house reviews.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:40 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,472,023 times
I LOVE my new Dyson

Old 12-19-2013, 12:00 AM

18,640 posts, read 55,583,996 times
sade has a good point. It used to be that way with movie reviews. There were ALWAYS shills who would glorify a movie for the movie company just to get quoted in the ads. Judith C. reviews weren't worth putting at the bottom of the parrot cage. Other reviewers had much better reputations. Siskel was someone you could generally trust. Find a product reviewer or two that you like and follow their reviews.

Old 12-20-2013, 06:59 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,187,027 times
I really suspect unless there is a confirmed buyer notation that many reviews are faked because they don;t like where product is made or they don't like the seller.Take with a grian of salt as they say.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:29 PM

14,424 posts, read 24,483,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Consumer Reports... better than any in-house reviews.

Until you find out that that the average Consumer Reports member has an income that is about 3x the median income in the US. In other words, if it is heavily tilted toward the wealthy consumer.

If I am looking for a recommendation on a compact car, I want it from people who personally drive one as opposed to people who buy their models for their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products