U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,030,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
The red doesn't affect me either, although I feel like I'm trying to be all matchy matchy if I'm wearing even a square inch of red...just a personal problem I guess haha.

OH and I will add Target has WAY better stuff to put around your house. (decor and whatnot) They sell a lot of Pier1/Pottery Barn knock-offs at a great price and look just as good!!!
Pier 1 was always overpriced--have not shopped there in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 12:26 AM

15,566 posts, read 36,938,586 times
I went to Walmart last night and I kid you not - the cashier who rang us up and bagged our groceries and stuff put literally ONE item into each bag! We had all these bags with only one item in each bag. Surely more than one item could have fit into a bag. For example, perhaps the butter, eggs and bag of salad could have gone together in one bag. There would even be room for a couple more small items. I think more than one shampoo or conditioner bottle could have co-existed peacefully in one bag, but sadly, it was not to be. Wait! My son just corrected me -- we did have a bag that contained 2 packs of gum and an eyeliner pencil!!!

Okay, I'm done now. Carry on .....

Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,551,361 times
I shop both depending on what I'm getting. Target has some cute clothes and decorating stuff, while Wal-Mart is cheaper on beauty stuff, bedding and electronics. They also have some cute clothes. Target tends to be pricey but both are ok.

And for those who say the red doesn't affect you, that's the point. You aren't supposed to realize they are relaxing you into spending more! That's Marketing 101...don't let them know how they are being manipulated!

Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM

8,862 posts, read 15,030,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
And for those who say the red doesn't affect you, that's the point. You aren't supposed to realize they are relaxing you into spending more! That's Marketing 101...don't let them know how they are being manipulated!
A marketing professional once remarked that some studies indicated that many consumers were resistant to such strategies.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:46 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,551,361 times
We probably are now. We've been manipulated since we were born. If you get resistant to antibiotics, why not other stuff.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:52 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,646,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I went to Walmart last night and I kid you not - the cashier who rang us up and bagged our groceries and stuff put literally ONE item into each bag! We had all these bags with only one item in each bag. Surely more than one item could have fit into a bag. For example, perhaps the butter, eggs and bag of salad could have gone together in one bag. There would even be room for a couple more small items. I think more than one shampoo or conditioner bottle could have co-existed peacefully in one bag, but sadly, it was not to be. Wait! My son just corrected me -- we did have a bag that contained 2 packs of gum and an eyeliner pencil!!!

Okay, I'm done now. Carry on .....
The funny thing Walmart does drug test their employees Guess your cashier was absent from school, the day {sets} and {subsets} were part of the lesson plan.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:41 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,580,763 times
Wal-Mart pays everyone different, I know some people that start off making the same kind of money working fast food, I used to shop for groceries at wal-mart untill all the prices went up, so now I go to Smiths or Albertsons, sure some stuff is more expenisve but I also get alot better deals on milk,eggs,cokes,and meat at Albertsons and Smiths and they are always stocked and Im not fighting my way down an isle at wal-mart,Im on a budget too but I will not shop at Wally World any more.That place makes me so cranky.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:21 PM

62 posts, read 204,796 times
I go straight to Target as their products and service are much better. Every time I go to Wal-mart there is always one of my items when I am checking out that do not ring up. I have had this happen at Target too, but they are much quicker at responding and finding the correct price. Here in the Minneapolis-St.Paul area we have seen Wal-marts close down as they cannot compete with a hometown company. They rebuilt their corporate headquarters a few years back in downtown Minneapolis and have ignited revitalization in that portion of downtown. Target has also done a wonderful job relocating their stores to old retail areas that desperately need a good retail boost. They also around the country have been known for building stores in downtown retail sections that need a boast which is something Wal-mart does not do. It's not just that Wal-mart is a poorer run company but as well that Target has done too many good things in the Minneapolis-St.Paul metro area. From their charitable contributions to revitalizing old retail areas how could one not shop at a company like that?

Old 02-04-2008, 11:59 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,701,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear28 View Post
I go straight to Target as their products and service are much better. Every time I go to Wal-mart there is always one of my items when I am checking out that do not ring up. I have had this happen at Target too, but they are much quicker at responding and finding the correct price. Here in the Minneapolis-St.Paul area we have seen Wal-marts close down as they cannot compete with a hometown company. They rebuilt their corporate headquarters a few years back in downtown Minneapolis and have ignited revitalization in that portion of downtown. Target has also done a wonderful job relocating their stores to old retail areas that desperately need a good retail boost. They also around the country have been known for building stores in downtown retail sections that need a boast which is something Wal-mart does not do. It's not just that Wal-mart is a poorer run company but as well that Target has done too many good things in the Minneapolis-St.Paul metro area. From their charitable contributions to revitalizing old retail areas how could one not shop at a company like that?

Walmart has another practice on their prices to decieve the public. They will show the price to be lower on the shelf but when you go to check-out it comes out higher. It might only be .10 cents but that still is fraud. Because in most cases the checker can not take it out and put in a different lower price themselves you have to wait on a manager. So the manager finally makes it over to you and you have to then wait while someone goes to verify the lower marked price on the shelf. Meanwhile your kids are getting fussy as you have already been standing in line "forever" (at least according to the kids) or the people in line behind you start to get to'd because your holding them all up for ONLY TEN CENTS. Finally after if your lucky 5 minutes it gets corrected and you get the item "for free" now (or your supposed to I thought that was their policy?).

Now, lets put that into HOW it HELPS Walmart and HURTS the shoppers. If 10 items in a LARGE SuperWalmart are intentionally left to ring up at a higher price, let's just say .10 cents (although in most cases it will be MUCH more than that). Say 10 people buy each one of those products in a weeks time at THAT store. In a years time that comes to $520 for just THAT ONE STORE. And they have how many locations in this country???? For grins lets just say 4000. In a years time Walmart will have OVERCHARGED the American people $2,080,000. And that is IF EACH item was ONLY rang up .10 MORE!!! And ONLY 10 items were mismarked.

No thanks. I'll shop at Target or someone else not wanting to cheat me.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:03 PM

38,690 posts, read 90,202,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear28 View Post
Target has also done a wonderful job relocating their stores to old retail areas that desperately need a good retail boost. They also around the country have been known for building stores in downtown retail sections that need a boast which is something Wal-mart does not do.
Wal-Mart has tried several times to build in areas that need revitalization only to be told to get lost. They fought for years just to get one single store built here in Chicago, in a neighborhood that desperately needed both jobs and more retail options. Once they finally did get the store open, it took a veto by Mayor Daley of an incredibly stupid and obnoxious ordinance to keep them here. It's little wonder they're not so anxious to try to open another one around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products