U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 03:13 PM

16 posts, read 34,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart, though I have been into one once or twice. It was appalling. All those worried-looking people wearing vests. Everything I saw was made in China. It reminded me of a Costco for the developmentally disabled, or a Goodwill store that also featured groceries. Yech.

Target, on the other hand, is slightly more upscale. But all that Red affects my vision, and makes it dangerous to drive home, since the traffic lights become brown, biege, and chartreuse to me for a while afterwards, and I can't remember which color means stop.

So for me, it's a dead heat: I eschew Wal-Mart for aesthetic reasons, and Target because I'm afraid I might be rendered permanently color-blind.

You?
I see your point but it sounds as if you may be a bit pompous and probably have a better than average income.
Those worried looks you see in Walmart are no different than what you see anywhere, even in Macy's of New York, there is one difference the shoppers in Macy's mostly use plastic.

Walmart is not the monster one thinks it is, I agree it is an oligopoly and dictates pricing due to it's sheer size, especially when you consider the square footage of retail space it owns in this country.

Walmart is a necessary evil since we americans greedily pursued higher incomes, driving our manufacturing base into a noncompetitive situation gkobally. Walmart at least does have some pricing that the average and below average american can still purchase.

As for China, the goods sold in Macy's. Saks, Target and others are about 80 percent Chinese, the Diamonds in Tiffanys are from Debeer's orporation coming from Africa and sold at about 400 percent mark up. So before you condemn a retail store like Walmart or Target remember we created a need for both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 03:14 PM

8,639 posts, read 9,276,667 times
target, arent they owned by the french, anti christmas, anti military and anti salvation army?Urban Legends Reference Pages: Rumors About Target

Old 11-26-2007, 03:16 PM

19,682 posts, read 21,242,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeroy View Post

Walmart is a necessary evil since we americans greedily pursued higher incomes, driving our manufacturing base into a noncompetitive situation gkobally. :
Oh, you're right. We need to be less greedy and be paid in gruel.

Now go back to Communist Martyrs High School for the pep rally.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:21 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,536,080 times
Well, even though WalMart is the evil greedy kingpin of capitalistic oppression, I've run across a statistic that 76 percent of their management are people who have been promoted up from hourly positions. And all this time I was convinced that people once hired were forced to be cashiers the rest of their lives and were kicked in the head daily by the evil, greedy, rich money making exploiters that run the company.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Well, even though WalMart is the evil greedy kingpin of capitalistic oppression, I've run across a statistic that 76 percent of their management are people who have been promoted up from hourly positions. And all this time I was convinced that people once hired were forced to be cashiers the rest of their lives and were kicked in the head daily by the evil, greedy, rich money making exploiters that run the company.
Like I said, I only object to Wal-Mart for aesthetic reasons. Head-kicking is beyond my scope.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:26 PM

8,639 posts, read 9,276,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Indeed, I have a friend that is a manager, has been with them along time, and as much as I cannot picture him in that vest, he is obviously supporting his family and happy there!

Old 11-26-2007, 04:15 PM

4,740 posts, read 8,937,527 times
I like Wal-Mart. I've lived in / travelled to some pretty small towns: 'Nea1' makes the great point that Wally saves significant money, plus Wally provides products that weren't available in these towns pre-Wally. Some Wally's are having to compete with Target and are cleaning up, widening aisles, wearing blue shirts...

I like Target, too. I usually alternate shopping between the two and take advantage of each store's strengths (i.e., Wally for weed killer, Target for Cokes in plastic bottles). In my experience, the prices of most identical items are the same at both.

I buy products made as close to home as possible: State, Regional, National, Allies...

That said, Target is cleaner and has better checkouts, so Wal-Mart is 'worse' than Target.

Old 11-26-2007, 04:16 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,245,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
I detest Walmart

I like Target, never purchased food there, so can't say much in terms of prices.

I keep hearing that people shop at Walmart because of the low food prices but the few times I've been in there, I don't see much of a difference versus grocery store pricing. Either way, I won't shop at Walmart just because the parking lot is ALWAYS full, I hate crowds, and everyone shopping in there does seem to be quite desperate
It's cheaper than supermarkets but more expensive than Wal-Mart.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:30 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,299,841 times
I don't shop at WalMart, for all above stated reasons. Occasionally visit Target if I have to, and is much cleaner, less crowded. The moms who drag their kids there, only have 3-4 kids instead of 6-8 per mom found at the filthy crowded WalMart, all running around unsupervised. I will brave Target's bright red color scheme, but beware, some of their food items are made in China.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
I like Wal-Mart. I've lived in / travelled to some pretty small towns: 'Nea1' makes the great point that Wally saves significant money, plus Wally provides products that weren't available in these towns pre-Wally. Some Wally's are having to compete with Target and are cleaning up, widening aisles, wearing blue shirts...

I like Target, too. I usually alternate shopping between the two and take advantage of each store's strengths (i.e., Wally for weed killer, Target for Cokes in plastic bottles). In my experience, the prices of most identical items are the same at both.

I buy products made as close to home as possible: State, Regional, National, Allies...

That said, Target is cleaner and has better checkouts, so Wal-Mart is 'worse' than Target.
Weed-killer and Coke, huh? Just the staples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products