U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:38 AM

520 posts, read 1,727,418 times

Advertisements

I like Target better for a few reasons... better lighting, less clutter, less offensive customers. Every time I go to Walmart I can't find anything because it is so cluttered. There are things hanging from the ceiling everywhere. Walmart seems to be dirtier and has a sort of dull appearance to everything. Target is bright and shiny. I really can't stand the people that shop at Walmart... I would elaborate but I don't want to offend anyone.

All that aside, I really prefer to not go into either one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 11:48 AM

40,554 posts, read 24,890,800 times
I'm pretty lucky, all my Wal-Marts are great. I even buy socks and sometimes sweatpants at Wal-Mart. I buy most of my groceries at Wal-Mart's Neighborhood Markets---excellent grocery stores. I like Target, too, but it's not as convenient as Wal-Mart.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:53 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,549,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeMadArthur View Post
Every time I go to Walmart I can't find anything because it is so cluttered. There are things hanging from the ceiling everywhere. Walmart seems to be dirtier and has a sort of dull appearance to everything.
I have to tell you that the WalMart near me is not anything like you describe. It is very well organized, wide aisles, well stocked. NOTHING hanging from the ceiling (except perhaps WalMart banners) - VERY clean and VERY helpful staff

Old 11-27-2007, 11:55 AM

21,148 posts, read 37,795,478 times
Target beats Wal-Mart hands-down IMHO. The latter store feels 'Third World' to me.

Now; mention Costco to me and I will need to kick some serious butt------------my American Express card gets extremely mad at me!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:57 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,297,705 times
I do alot of travel. Drove up to Oregon this summer, and stopped over in a small town in Eastern Oregon. Very lovely place, friendly, clean. But the WalMart!! I thought I had died and gone to heaven....had to go in for some necessities and was in an unfamiliar town. It was spankin' clean, shiny floors, NOONE in there! The store personnel very friendly and helpful, soft music playing overhead. As I stumbled in a fugue state into the bathroom, what do I find--fresh flowers!! Still think about it to this day...maybe I entered into a time warp or the 4th dimension.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:57 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,644,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I believe we are allowed to like Target,Walmart is to be hated until it starts paying it's employees a decent wage like all the other dept. stores...

Hmmm,Target pays more right????
Just a quick interjection. When I was looking for a job, I applied at Target and Wal-mart. Both are relatively easy to get into.. and give management opportunities to people without degrees.

Guess who actually offered me more money.

Wal-mart.

Having worked at Wal-mart, I'm a tad biased. Personally, the worst part about Wal-mart was the customers. Everyone was in a hurry - so when you have a huge number of inpatient customers combined with a lack of cashiers.. Not a good combo.

Customers at Target usually tend to be of slightly higher class than Wal-mart. They are less apt to be rude to the workers - for fear of looking bad? Therefore, because they are treated better.. the workers tend to be happier.

As far as looks go.. many Wal-marts are going through a remodeling process. The remodeled stores look great. At my old store, the remodeling process included widening aisles, improving the light quality, and making things look aesthetically great. I actually like the new layout.

Of the choice between Wal-mart and Target here - both are about the same.. just one uses blue and the other uses red. I like blue as a color more.. so I'm more apt to head to Wal-mart. Oh! I forgot to mention the green Wal-marts! I thought it was kind of nice...

Price-wise - A gallon of milk at Target was $5. The same gallon was around $3 at the Wal-mart. Overall, prices are higher at Target - but it works to keep the riff-raff out, I guess. Wal-mart overall has some of the lowest prices... but on certain things like the NoBo clothes, they're not as good quality-wise. When it comes to off-brand stuff, don't get Wal-mart's, it's horrible.

In the end, I'm going to go wherever I can get the same quality for cheaper.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:07 PM

8,386 posts, read 7,579,629 times
The only thing I dislike about Wal-Mart is their strategy of locating Supercenters in mid-size and smaller towns on major interstates to draw a customer base from the town and its surrounding communities. The stores are much larger than the town really needs. Because they also provide other services (pharmacy, optical, auto services, hair salons, etc.), they compete with a wide variety of small stores in town. I've seen a number of local towns (Winchester, Culpepper, Martinsburg, etc.) where the historic downtown shopping districts have deteriorated.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:08 PM

1,645 posts, read 2,143,068 times
wow, some of the stereotypes you guys throw around...maybe it's not the "other customers" who are rude and ugly? {sigh}

I shop at both, Target is better for some items, WM for others. I don't buy garbage quality so there will always be things I don't shop at the big box stores for. EVERY big box store sells Chinese made goods, and I genuinely try to buy American but until the US Gov't changes it's trade policies, that is near impossible.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,644,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
wow, some of the stereotypes you guys throw around...maybe it's not the "other customers" who are rude and ugly?
I'm going to take the bold step forward. When many users here are speaking of the rude and ugly customers.. for the most part, we're talking the welfare shoppers. I think I've been granted the right to speak badly of many customer stereotypes I dealt with.

Now, I'm not talking about all of these groups... but a majority from my personal experience of working at Wal-mart..

Of the different groups of people that shop at Wal-mart, my worst experiences are those with welfare shoppers. These are the people with X number of kids that they do not watch - that they usually "drop off" in the toy section while they shop. Then, when it comes time to check-out, us workers had to page their kids and send somebody to the Toy department to find said children.

Another problem with welfare shoppers - many people on WIC simply don't get the right items. One block 16oz store-brand american cheese does not equal a 32oz Cracker Barrel extra sharp cheddar block; store brand large dozen eggs does not equal extra-large Eggland's best. Then, when these people get to the register, it almost seemed as though they expected us to "allow" their non-WIC approved item through - even if the system kicked it out.

The funniest transactions I dealt with, though - the food stamp shoppers who's card wouldn't swipe. In order to process food stamps without swiping required two manager approvals - which generally took a while to get Meanwhile, the kids are acting up, the parents are getting irate, etc. Then.. better yet, if the card gets kicked out or there isn't enough money on the card - things get even funnier...

Aside from welfare shoppers.. another group of rude and unruly customers are the teenager sect. They tend to walk in groups talking loudly and mis-matching everything. At my store, we once caught a group of teenagers who were putting the 3-pack of condoms inside childrens' toys and clothes. Later that day, we received an awaited call. A parent bought a pair of pants for her son.. and found condoms in the pocket. Boy... did I get an earful for that one... Teenage shoppers who travel in packs are also a hazard for stealing. They don't usually do it out of necessity, but the thrill - sometimes they'll grab an item from one part of the store, keep it with them - and because they're being watched, they place it somewhere else and leave/buy something else.

Again, I'm not talking all - just a majority.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,534,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
wow, some of the stereotypes you guys throw around...maybe it's not the "other customers" who are rude and ugly? {sigh}
Yeah, I was finding it ironic that people were complaining about Wal-mart because it pays low wages and makes life hard on people. Then they complain about shopping there because the people in Walmart are not classy enough. Very interesting double standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products