U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 01:12 PM

19,556 posts, read 19,542,573 times

Advertisements

I find most people lack class,no matter how wealthy(or poor) they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 01:26 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,675,576 times
For my .02, I avoid WalMart for lots of reasons. They underpay, offer lousy benefits, and generally drain smaller economies. Target better, but not much better, so I try to avoid it as well. Avoiding Walmart now that I live in Chicago (where there aren't any) is easy. There are Targets here (that pay 10 an hour to start...), and I occasionally hit those up.

I like shopping local if I can. Keeps the money as local as possible top to bottom. As chains go, Costco treats its employees quite well, so it's got a leg up in my book.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:28 PM

19,556 posts, read 19,542,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post

I like shopping local if I can. Keeps the money as local as possible top to bottom.
Do small local businesses pay better or offer more benefits than WW?

Old 11-27-2007, 01:32 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,675,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
That depends. I can guarantee that you won't find many small businesses owned by multi-billionaires who siphon all the money out of a community while paying 7 and hour with no bennies.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:38 PM

17,825 posts, read 20,501,852 times
Why are there no Wal-Marts in Afghanistan or Iraq?
Because there is a Target on every corner!

Wal-Mart, Target, and K-Mart epitomize poor quality and I would never shop in any of those stores.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:33 PM

1,810 posts, read 9,772,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I agree with CarolinaBredChicagoan.

Whenever a Walmart comes into a community.. many local businesses and main street close and die. With the volume Walmart is selling, they get it much lower price. Sometimes their selling price is less than some local shop's cost. Only small amount of money profited by Walmart go back to local economy. If the profit goes to a local shop owner, he will buy goods and services from another person in town instead of draining the money to corporate 1000s of miles away.

Competition is good. However, fighting between David and Goliath is not a good match.

This is NOT a Walmart bash...

Back to the topic,

In general, Target has better service as it targets people with a little higher income. In many case, you also pays for it.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:42 PM

240 posts, read 363,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Wal-Mart is depressing. I have been to one here in Charlotte and one in Western Pennsylvania and they sadden me. The employees there are all useless and the people shopping at these two Wal-Marts made me want to shower immediately.

I find Target to be decent and think the one's that I have been to are clean and the people friendly. I am sure though that there are ones that aren't any good. To each their own.
You are so on the money with your thoughts on Walmart. You have expressed exactly, and I do mean exactly how I feel when I walk into a Walmart.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:55 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,398,842 times
I shop at Target, mostly because there are so many where I live and few WM. The WM here are located in not so nice areas. Target does a better job of marketing to me, and I'm pretty loyal. I like that they 'give money back' to my kids' schools (and others), and they seem to do better with corporate donating than WM. Food prices aren't that big a deal to us, because we don't buy much prepackaged stuff. We buy mostly produce, grains, and dairy, and those are pretty standard around here.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 PM

5,043 posts, read 8,029,561 times
I actually manage to live a life without hardly ever shopping at Wal-mart or Target, although if given a choice, I would choose Target because the products there are much nicer. I get great deals and a quality product on both clothing and home items at J.C. Penney, and plan my meals around the specials at the local grocery store, and get good produce from the farmers market. I try hard to support "locally produced" items, when I can. I find a lot of good deals on other items like health/beauty items at Big Lots. I absolutely hate going in a Wal-mart store- they get worse all the time, and they treat their employees horribly. They are working people full-time hours in there without giving them full-time "positions", therefore avoiding paying them any type of benefits. I don't want to support them until they start paying their employees better, and start valuing the people who work at the store level, they are, after all , the ones making the "big wigs" at the company rich. Walmart is, after all, the world's largest corporation. I think a little more of the gravy needs to "trickle down" the assembly line, you know what I mean? Sam Walton would be turning over in his grave if he could see the direction that company has gone, and the way the "lowly" sales people are treated. I hope they fold...

Old 11-28-2007, 04:55 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,666,779 times
Most of you are very fortunate to be able to have sufficient funds to shop anywhere. I am on a limited budget and will be even more so when I retire. . . and must look for the best bargains.

The Wal-Mart Superstore we have (KC Metro Area) is very well maintained and does NOT have depressed employees dragging their chins on the floor. The store is large and well lit. For the most part, I save close to a 70-90% and sometimes more on products available at other stores (name brands); and I'd be crazy to spend more at higher priced stores (and that includes Target). The Super Target is basically next door to Wal-Mart and I've compared prices many times. I needed a new vacuum cleaner and the same brand was $30 more at Target. . . I sure couldn't justify paying the extra for the sake of wondering if the employees were earning more per hour than those at Wal-Mart.

People I know first-hand who worked at Target hated it there because even though they may have made $.50 more an hour than the Wal-Mart employees, they were treated like dirt by management. The stress was unbearable and they quit.

Most who work in retail are underpaid; and I don't do a survey on salaries before I shop at a store. And, the media has had a field day bashing Wal-Mart, and therefore John Q. Public will take it as absolute truth. There are many behind-the-scenes horror stories about all employers that we never hear about.

I shop where I can save the most money; and yes, quality if of importance too. . . but generally the identical products are at Wal-Mart that are in the other stores.

Maybe the employees at our local Wal-Mart are treated much better than at other locations around the country. . . so I can't compare that issue. And, as a rule, I never have to wait in line very long, and never have any problems finding a good parking spot close to the store. We also have the self-checkout stations and there is always an employee right there to assist if needed. . . and she/he is never rude or crabby.

I am going to count myself very lucky that we have a good Wal-Mart in our town!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products