U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:18 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,040,477 times

Advertisements

Forgot my purse at Walmart, went back to get it and happily found that everything (100 in cash ) was still there. I think most people who work at most places are honest and hardworking it only takes one or two to wreck for everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 10:04 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,089,264 times
Walmart is disgusting. I refuse to shop there. It's always a zoo there. When I lived in New Mexico, there was a Super Walmart on every street corner. The 3 ring circus started the moment you exited your car in the parking lot... "Wanna buy a tamale? Wanna buy a taco?'" Arghhhhhh!

Here in Northern Virginia, I only know of one walmart near me (10 miles away) and it's not a super walmart. They've seen the light in NoVA... down with walmart... up with Super Target. There's a Super Target about 2 miles from my house and I love it.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:33 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,879,970 times
I feel like a sell out if I shop at Wal-mart (which I never do anymore). There's a phrase called "the Wal-mart mentality"... which addresses Americans who want products for dirt cheap and it doesn't matter how that price came about. Americans don't care if employees get paid for next to nothing, if manufacturing jobs are sent oversees, or if local mom & pop stores get closed down when Wal-mart moves in... as long as Americans can get their products for CHEAP then Wal-mart will always prevail.

The times that I have been in Wal-mart, the store seems to attract the seedy people in the area, the aisles are too narrow, and it seems too cluttered with useless stuff. I'd rather spend the money to support my local small stores who have better products anyway and who make their products in the US.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:33 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,671,750 times
Wow! The more of these posting I read, the more I am thankful we have excellent Wal-Mart Super Centers and Target Super Centers in JOCO, KS!

Isn't it wonderful we can shop where we want! If ya don't like a store, go shop at another one. Reminds me of TV...don't like the show? Change the channel!

Old 12-29-2007, 11:39 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,915,917 times
I went up to Germany last year to buy a car. On the way back home to Italy I saw a Walmart Superstore (Now all owned by Metro) We spent about 5 hours there. Thankfully we bought a van.

I used to live in Napa Valley, CA. The Walmart there was very nice. Perhaps it is just where you live and the people in your area that are scum. I once read the thread about a woman who also thought Walmarts were for scummy people and that her area had no Walmart. I think she said she lived in San Mateo. Perhaps you should think about moving there.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:39 AM

2,464 posts, read 5,879,970 times
I've lived all over the U.S. and Wal-marts attract the same type of people - no matter if it's in an expensive area or not. There's always a heavier concentration of rude people looking for a deal. There's shady people everywhere... and Wal-mart is their meeting place. That's one of the reasons why residents in my area are adamently AGAINST having Wal-marts. Theirs nothing classy about these ugly, big box stores. You're right Heather72 Wal-marts ARE disgusting...

Old 12-31-2007, 11:53 AM

17,297 posts, read 26,026,476 times
It depends on the Wal-Mart!

I've been to Wal-Marts that make you feel like you've stepped into a third world market.

I've been to Wal-Marts that are surprisingly clean and well-kept.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:23 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,299,841 times
I had a very rare experience at a "golden" WalMart in LaGrande, OR. Driving through this past Fall on the way to Portland and had to stop for the day. It must have been brand new, as it was spanking clean, noone was in there, the clerks very friendly and helpful, there were fresh flowers in the spotless bathroom!! I commented to the cashier, and she said, "it is like this everywhere in LaGrande, you should think about staying", something to that effect. I was very impressed! Would never dream of darkening the door to the WalMarts where I live, ugh ugh....

Old 12-31-2007, 12:27 PM

15,566 posts, read 36,938,586 times
Walmart is a nut house. Target is a more, uh, "pleasant" shopping experience.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:40 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,299,841 times
We have a new Target here on the outskirts of town, and is still enjoyable for the most part, not too crowded, still clean looking and organized. Since it is in a location where there are higher end homes, doesn't seem to get as much "riff raff" as the other stores closer in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products