U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 01:15 PM

2,338 posts, read 7,073,523 times

Advertisements

I am not a fan of Wal-Mart and avoid shopping there whenever I can. But I will say there can be a big difference from Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart in regards to customer service and cleanliness. I just have some issues with their corporate structure and operations.

It's funny...15 years ago, no one where I live would have expected the need for a 24-hour, one-stop mega store. We were fine with the hardware store here, the grocery stores and the shoe stores. Discount stores like Hills and K-Mart never had checkout lines that took 20 minutes to get through. I'll never forget...I think it was 1999 or something...I was dating a guy from Canada and we had to run to Wal-Mart in WV. He noted the "Open 24-hours" sign as was like, "What?! Why are they open 24-hours? Does someone wake up at 3 a.m. and think....hmmm, I would really like to get some pants!" (this was before Wal-Mart expanded to include a grocery section. It turns out that the Wal-Marts in Canada were not open around the clock (don't know if that's changed). I found that pretty funny.

Target has cute shoes and housewares...Wal-Mart can't touch them on that stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 02:07 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,994,754 times
Wal-Mart by far. The people that work in the local Wal-Mart here, good grief. You'd think they were raised by wolves. They snap at you when you ask them something, and some of the others tell you exactly what you DO NOT need even when you specifically tell them they are wrong, then they get mad and walk off. If Wal-Mart didn't make so much money on a daily basis it would be gone. I wouldn't mind it though. I like Target better.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:15 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,895,228 times
Here is my post from another thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/shopp...boycott-4.html

You get what you pay for. Walmart here sucks. They FINALLY installed self checkouts at the one near me (which is a relativly new super center). I went there a couple weeks ago and stepped ahead between the first two and the second two kiosks as both of the people in front of me were picking up their groceries after thay had paid. The ***** working TOLD me to stand back behind the other two registers. I was like "why? those people are leaving." She told me it was to prevent clutter. There is 8 foot of space between those kiosks and every other register and aisle in walmaert is clutter galore. The stores are noisy, the parking lots are a mess, and the employees are rude because walmart treats them like crap.

They may have the cheapest things, but buy a t-shirt from www.allamericanclothing.com and then compare it to the one that cost 2 cents to make in guatemela or honduras but you paid an 800 times markup for it at walmart. I did and I guarantee you that American made one is 1000x better quality. Walmart carries junk and they don't always have the cheapest prices. You can compare prices at so many places now and use sites like ebates.com, www.spoofee.com, www.passwird.com, www.retailmenot.com (broken link) to almost always get better prices than walmart.

Also, you are not getting the cheapest things at Walmart as you are still paying through your tax dollars for the health insurance of their hourly employees. That's right, Walmart pays their employees just enough to not be eligible for health insurance and encourages them to get Medicaid. Walmart also has a little known unwritten policy of hiring women "who look like they will clean toilets, etc)." Of the thousands of women I have seen working at Walmart, I can think of only one that was moderately attractive and did not fit this description.

I will shop at Super Target over Walmart any day.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:16 PM

2,032 posts, read 5,080,786 times
I shop for groceries for my job, so using Wal-Mart makes my education dollar go much further. I do try and get in and out before 8 or 9 in the morning, to avoid crowds, long lines and grumpy sales clerks. Hey, at least they are working...more than I can see/say for some of the people I see shopping there!

Old 01-01-2008, 03:04 AM

38,690 posts, read 90,172,117 times
Good Christ. This thread is so dripping with pretentious, bigoted, classist snobbery that I could just about puke. Some of you sound like nobility staring down your noses at the filthy peasants working the fields around your castles. Get over your precious selves.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:16 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,915,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Good Christ. This thread is so dripping with pretentious, bigoted, classist snobbery that I could just about puke. Some of you sound like nobility staring down your noses at the filthy peasants working the fields around your castles. Get over your precious selves.
Kudos Drover:

The funny thing is that these people seem to go back to Walmart over and over again. This one a few posts above says she was there just a few weeks ago. Why are they so drawn to a place they are disgusted by? They seem to root out the worst ones just so they can feel superior. Sad.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:11 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,663,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I've lived all over the U.S. and Wal-marts attract the same type of people - no matter if it's in an expensive area or not. There's always a heavier concentration of rude people looking for a deal. There's shady people everywhere... and Wal-mart is their meeting place. That's one of the reasons why residents in my area are adamently AGAINST having Wal-marts. Theirs nothing classy about these ugly, big box stores. You're right Heather72 Wal-marts ARE disgusting...
You obviously haven't lived or shopped in the county I live in; we do not have rude greedy people looking for a deal....or shady people meeting at W-M!

Your condensing and cruel remarks are very inappropriate and uncalled for....these posts are not to put people down, please take a long hard look at your judgemental and demeaning attitude.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 AM

955 posts, read 1,969,903 times
Default Business Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
It makes a difference for a number of reasons, in my opinion. If a corporate entity is profiting royally from the labor of their employees, and the companies can afford to pay more than 7 an hour, it seems like they should pay it. Is that so crazy?

If a sweet little lady was worth 100 Billion dollars, I don't think I'd be willing to weed her garden for 7 an hour. I'd prefer to use my skills elsewhere.

Perhaps you don't feel the same way. That's perfectly fine. I just find it insulting that such a massive company neglects to pay a living wage when they could certainly afford it.
First of all, if weeding a garden is worth $7 per hour, than that is the going rate regardless of sweet little lady's net worth.

Next, since everyone likes to look at Wal-Mart, let's use them as an example. In fiscal year 2007, Wal-Mart made $12.1 Billion operating income on sales of $345 Billion. That is 3.5% return on sales. Doesn't sound like price gouging to me. If sweet little lady owned a sewing store and made $12,000 on sales of $345,000, or 3.5% return on sales just like Wal-Mart, we would all be pitying sweet little lady's plight.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:08 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,673,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
First of all, if weeding a garden is worth $7 per hour, than that is the going rate regardless of sweet little lady's net worth.

Next, since everyone likes to look at Wal-Mart, let's use them as an example. In fiscal year 2007, Wal-Mart made $12.1 Billion operating income on sales of $345 Billion. That is 3.5% return on sales. Doesn't sound like price gouging to me. If sweet little lady owned a sewing store and made $12,000 on sales of $345,000, or 3.5% return on sales just like Wal-Mart, we would all be pitying sweet little lady's plight.
Justify it however you'd like. Other corporate entities are able to provide better wages and benefits, so it's not so outlandish to suggest that Wal-Mart could do the same. I don't support their business practices, so I don't shop at their store. Freedom of choice.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:15 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,878,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
You obviously haven't lived or shopped in the county I live in; we do not have rude greedy people looking for a deal....or shady people meeting at W-M!

Your condensing and cruel remarks are very inappropriate and uncalled for....these posts are not to put people down, please take a long hard look at your judgemental and demeaning attitude.
I'm not a mindless shopper but millions of people are... our country would be better off if people actually thought about frequenting a store who would sell out to the lowest bidder - no matter how the product got there or what country it came from. It's pathetic. So, before you climb on top of your high horse - think about what YOU are doing. I take my dollars to vendors who pay their employees above poverty level because I care... it's called... being thoughtful. Maybe you've heard of it.

You need to reread my post. I didn't say EVERY SINGLE Wal-mart shopper was seedy. If you misunderstood that's one thing... but if you are going to put words in my mouth and make assumptions then don't post to me at all.

The most hostile posters on this thread are the one's that shop at Wal-mart and THAT is a legitimate reason why I avoid that store. Avoiding rude, seedy people - is not discrimination. My cousin works at Target... she used to work for Wal-mart for over 5 years... and the customers that come into Target are WAY more civil to her. Coincidence? I think not. The stores are across the street from each other...

Last edited by mommabear2; 01-01-2008 at 06:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products