U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 07:12 PM

15,988 posts, read 31,204,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP if you have 7 or 8 people waiting in line and impatiently, why are you not calling over another employee(s) or the manager to assist you in expediting the services to these paying customers.
It's not always that easy. Trust me.

Actually it's a lose - lose situation. It's unfair that a customer has to suffer by waiting in line due to an associates mistake, but it's also unfair to the 7 or 8 people who have to wait longer due to allowing the customer to cut. In the end, it's better to anger one customer than a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 07:16 PM

35,107 posts, read 41,682,201 times
I would have told her that others have also been waiting and she either needs to go to the end of the line OR
she needs to come back when she has more time.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:01 PM

9,151 posts, read 5,790,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
I plan on getting a degree in business. Thanks for the boost in confidence.

I get it; I made a mistake, but some of you assume that a manager is sitting by without nothing better to do. Usually, they are either dealing with an issue somewhere else in the store or in the back office. It's frustrating to explain something to a customer and for them to ask to talk to a manager JUST so the manager can reiterate verbatim what I said. Imo, it's a waste of time, but I do get the point that the manager "title" in and of itself contains an inherent power to shut customers up.

And I believe I misspoke with the "force my hand" comment. I sympathized too much with the customer and got caught up wanting to help without thinking about others. As you can see, I immediately saw my mistake and made this thread to get others' opinions, thereby affirming my intuition that I DID make a mistake.
you will learn from your mistake and this will help you in what not to do. but people shouldn't be allowed to cut the line, its just not fair to the other customers who been waiting patiently.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:31 PM

8,778 posts, read 17,069,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
It's not always that easy. Trust me.

Actually it's a lose - lose situation. It's unfair that a customer has to suffer by waiting in line due to an associates mistake, but it's also unfair to the 7 or 8 people who have to wait longer due to allowing the customer to cut. In the end, it's better to anger one customer than a bunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would have told her that others have also been waiting and she either needs to go to the end of the line OR
she needs to come back when she has more time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
you will learn from your mistake and this will help you in what not to do. but people shouldn't be allowed to cut the line, its just not fair to the other customers who been waiting patiently.
Are we overlooking the fact that this customer was likely to have been standing in a line of 7/8 people before he/she reached the register? I don't see where the customer is cutting anything. They stood in line like everyone else. It isn't their fault that an employee made an error.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Are we overlooking the fact that this customer was likely to have been standing in a line of 7/8 people before he/she reached the register? I don't see where the customer is cutting anything. They stood in line like everyone else. It isn't their fault that an employee made an error.
You're agreeing with me. That's why I said it's a lose lose situation for the employee. Either way, someone is going to be pissed.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:43 PM

8,778 posts, read 17,069,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You're agreeing with me. That's why I said it's a lose lose situation for the employee. Either way, someone is going to be pissed.
No, i'm not agreeing with you. You stated that you would "anger" the 1 customer. I would "anger" the 7/8 customers.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
No, i'm not agreeing with you. You stated that you would "anger" the 1 customer. I would "anger" the 7/8 customers.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:30 PM

48,509 posts, read 85,542,792 times
I would have said sorry we handle has turn comes up. If manager I would have started another line but not served one before others; if I believed circumstances meant customers were wait too long tho.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:20 PM

11,745 posts, read 20,986,546 times
What?

Old 12-27-2013, 06:39 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,871,085 times
Nice to see we have managers who want the responsibility of............" the buck stops here"

Our president of the US should be taking notes !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products