U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2007, 12:39 PM
 
Location: In a house
21,956 posts, read 21,695,200 times
Reputation: 14931

Advertisements

We do our "best" to buy American. We need to support "America" as much as we possibly can!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-28-2007, 03:00 PM
 
106 posts, read 399,719 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
We do our "best" to buy American. We need to support "America" as much as we possibly can!!!!
That's what I can say too. We try, but it can be very hard. Of course it has lead to us not buying stuff that we might have wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 03:08 PM
 
Location: In a house
21,956 posts, read 21,695,200 times
Reputation: 14931
We just recently went to buy a new dining room table/chairs. No kidding, living in the furniture capitol of the world or so I thought and the majority of the exclusive furniture stores mostly had furniture from over seas. We finally found an out-of-the-way family owned store that only sold oak furniture but it was made in the USA. We were amazed at how difficult it was to find furniture made here!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 03:28 PM
 
636 posts, read 2,107,701 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
We just recently went to buy a new dining room table/chairs. No kidding, living in the furniture capitol of the world or so I thought and the majority of the exclusive furniture stores mostly had furniture from over seas. We finally found an out-of-the-way family owned store that only sold oak furniture but it was made in the USA. We were amazed at how difficult it was to find furniture made here!!!!
I am surprised you found any. I think it is all made in Malaysia or China. We found a retired carpenter who makes furniture as a hobby, about twice a year he puts it all out and has a yard sale. I think that's the only American-made furniture we own that isnt antique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Metrowest, MA
1,810 posts, read 9,773,266 times
Reputation: 911
Please define American made? if an American car is made outside the country and an import car is made here, should you consider both of them American?


My Honda Accord is assembled in America with 80% of part made in America. Is it American?

The best-selling passenger car in the United States is a Japanese-brand car, the Toyota Camry. But the "imported" Camry is actually built in America -- at Toyota's plant in Kentucky.

Ford's best-selling F-Series pickup, meanwhile, is built at a plant in Cuautitlán Izcalli, Mexico, as well as in other plants throughout North America.

GM's popular Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon SUVs are also assembled south of the border -- at GM's Toluca, Mexico, plant.

GM has bought engines from Japanese automakers -- and GM has sold its highly regarded hydra-matic transmissions to car companies all over the world; ditto its Harrison AC systems.

For a number of years, GM was partnered with Toyota -- and models like the Toyota Corolla and Geo/Chevy Prizm were essentially the same car. Just as the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe are today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2007, 04:46 PM
 
636 posts, read 2,107,701 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Please define American made? if an American car is made outside the country and an import car is made here, should you consider both of them American?


My Honda Accord is assembled in America with 80% of part made in America. Is it American?

The best-selling passenger car in the United States is a Japanese-brand car, the Toyota Camry. But the "imported" Camry is actually built in America -- at Toyota's plant in Kentucky.

Ford's best-selling F-Series pickup, meanwhile, is built at a plant in Cuautitlán Izcalli, Mexico, as well as in other plants throughout North America.

GM's popular Chevy Tahoe/GMC Yukon SUVs are also assembled south of the border -- at GM's Toluca, Mexico, plant.

GM has bought engines from Japanese automakers -- and GM has sold its highly regarded hydra-matic transmissions to car companies all over the world; ditto its Harrison AC systems.

For a number of years, GM was partnered with Toyota -- and models like the Toyota Corolla and Geo/Chevy Prizm were essentially the same car. Just as the Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe are today.
Yup. This is why I dont really care what make of car I drive. Besides, to me, whoever makes the most fuel-efficient car deserves my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2007, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Boone County, Ky
58 posts, read 201,160 times
Reputation: 25
We just went to Old Time Pottery and my husband said look that's made in China all thru the store. It is everywhere. I will be checking to make sure that my kids get no lead paint for Christmas there are stores that carry made in the usa. Although I wouldn't put to much confidence in our Govt. protecting us from such things since they allow us to eat unsafe foods everyday. Try to shop at the grocery and NOT buy enriched flour products. I did find one pack of bacon that was certified humane and it came from Cinti. Amazing to me atleast. As for bread the only non enriched flour bread is Aunt Millies that my youngest will eat. And you pay the price. It absolutely makes me sick.
Let's not forget that up until this year that our govt. allowed for the inhumane slaughter of America's horses that are not meant for human consumption after being wormed and having insectisides sprayed on them for most of there lives if not all. Knowing full well that the meat was being exported for humans to eat. Same goes for the pathetic countries allowing this meat to enter their country for their people to consume. Now they take them across the border to be slaughtered and that must come to a fast stop.
Did you ever listen to those medicine commericals that tell you to take this but may cause death, blindness, shortness of breath, swelling of the tongue.... YIKES... I would rather keep whatever is wrong with me if that's the case....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2007, 12:19 AM
 
636 posts, read 2,107,701 times
Reputation: 271
Default Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstutler View Post
We just went to Old Time Pottery and my husband said look that's made in China all thru the store. It is everywhere. I will be checking to make sure that my kids get no lead paint for Christmas there are stores that carry made in the usa. Although I wouldn't put to much confidence in our Govt. protecting us from such things since they allow us to eat unsafe foods everyday. Try to shop at the grocery and NOT buy enriched flour products. I did find one pack of bacon that was certified humane and it came from Cinti. Amazing to me atleast. As for bread the only non enriched flour bread is Aunt Millies that my youngest will eat. And you pay the price. It absolutely makes me sick.
Let's not forget that up until this year that our govt. allowed for the inhumane slaughter of America's horses that are not meant for human consumption after being wormed and having insectisides sprayed on them for most of there lives if not all. Knowing full well that the meat was being exported for humans to eat. Same goes for the pathetic countries allowing this meat to enter their country for their people to consume. Now they take them across the border to be slaughtered and that must come to a fast stop.
Did you ever listen to those medicine commericals that tell you to take this but may cause death, blindness, shortness of breath, swelling of the tongue.... YIKES... I would rather keep whatever is wrong with me if that's the case....
Well, for the record, I did find yesterday at Target that Milton Bradley games and puzzles are made in the US. Some of the pawns are made in China, though, so you have to check. Also, many Crayola products are USA, but some are China, so you have to read every package. Does anybody else wonder how long lead paint has been on our kids' toys? I mean, whats with this huge autism increase, is it lead paint??? really, I would like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2007, 10:32 AM
 
Location: In a house
21,956 posts, read 21,695,200 times
Reputation: 14931
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Well, for the record, I did find yesterday at Target that Milton Bradley games and puzzles are made in the US. Some of the pawns are made in China, though, so you have to check. Also, many Crayola products are USA, but some are China, so you have to read every package. Does anybody else wonder how long lead paint has been on our kids' toys? I mean, whats with this huge autism increase, is it lead paint??? really, I would like to know.
It's hard to say regarding the Autism increase. The US used lead paint years ago for everything---cribs were painted with lead paint, homes were painted with lead paint etc. We survived. I'm not saying lead in any way is good for us and I agree about safety. I try hard to by items made in the US and I am angry about these problems with China and our lax Government inspections. Lead is indeed bad for our health and our childrens health but as far as the Autism increase--I just don't know if that has anything to do with it---but I am by far no expert!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 02:14 AM
 
Location: Way on the outskirts of LA LA land.
3,040 posts, read 10,538,015 times
Reputation: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
atleast colorado is made in the usa
Yup! My Chevy Colorado was made in Baton Rouge, Louisiana!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top