U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:14 AM

8,314 posts, read 26,602,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The jeans I am wearing right now came from Walmart.
I have had them for about 10 years and they have about 5 years of wear left.
I think they cost about $12.00.

You mean, if I had paid $120.00, and had them made by "old-world trained craftsmen" they would last last 150 years?

Maybe Walmart could hire these "old-world craftsmen" to train their sweat shop labor then we could have the best of both worlds.
I am not speaking about jeans per se, but in general, the cheap clothes are single-stitched, low-quality fabrics. Jeans are workman's clothing and I am guessing you are not a laborer if they last you 10 years.

I am a white collar worker, and while I could buy cheap clothing from sears or Wal-mart, the quality level is poor and the clothes do not hold up after repeated washings. Cheap shoes in particular fall apart because they have glued, not sewn soles. I would rather pay for quality than buy cheap junk, but that's just me.

Last edited by Sassberto; 12-11-2007 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 04:34 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,242,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I am not speaking about jeans per se, but in general, the cheap clothes are single-stitched, low-quality fabrics. Jeans are workman's clothing and I am guessing you are not a laborer if they last you 10 years.

I am a white collar worker, and while I could buy cheap clothing from sears or Wal-mart, the quality level is poor and the clothes do not hold up after repeated washings. Cheap shoes in particular fall apart because they have glued, not sewn soles. I would rather pay for quality than buy cheap junk, but that's just me.
You're so right about that. You get what you pay for at Wal-Mart or Target. I do buy some things there...underwear, socks, and casual "round the house" type things, but I go higher-end for jeans and work clothing.

I've gone off buying cheap shoes forever after I bought two pairs of sandals this summer...one at Target, one at DSW...and both have fallen apart in less than five months. It's ridiculous. They're garbage. Both pairs were made in China. The shoes that last are usually made in Italy or Brazil...though I'm wearing a pair of Borns with sewn soles made in Mexico. I bought them in August...time will tell how well they hold up. So far so good. I have a pair of Bass loafers that I bought in 1992 and they're still wearable, though the leather is a little bit brittle and the rubber is just now starting to deteriorate. Then again, I abuse the hell out of my leather shoes.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:43 PM

15,566 posts, read 36,922,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
forumrider has a point most things are made in other countries and we can't really say that its all bad, i mean the chinese people are smart there is no dount bout that, escapecalifornia you should know this day in age there is not alot made in the usa we do our best that doesnt mean things slip through my dad found a japanese headphones in our basement and through them out a few months ago, but we def dont buy foriegn cars we are still a chevy family :P
Even American cars aren't made in America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products