U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:14 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,678,453 times

Advertisements

I have used craigslist for tons of stuff. I have bought and sold items. I have gotten freelance jobs on it and my employer has used it for hiring.

It's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 12:28 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,005,743 times
I've never bought anything but I've sold a bar-b-que and a gas fire. They were both picked up at my house with no problems. I also listed my house on there when it was FSBO.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,137,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I have not bought anything but have sold a number of things. I always meet them in a busy store parking lot to make the sale.
If somebody wanted to sell me something like that, I would automatically assume it was stolen.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
If somebody wanted to sell me something like that, I would automatically assume it was stolen.
.... and not maybe assume that they don't want any old person coming to their home?

Old 12-11-2007, 05:40 AM

79 posts, read 192,911 times
I have made well over $1,000 on it selling everything from a chest of drawers to a mirror. I had one person come over and buy most of the stuff in my basement - stuff that I felt was not even good enough for the thrift. What surprises me is how many women will come over alone to a stranger's house. That is scary.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:28 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,137,473 times
We will be relocating next year so for the past few months we have been selling, giving away, and discarding tons of stuff.

I advertise on Craig's list or Freecycle and all of the people, whether men, women, or families who have come have been nice people and as happy to get the stuff as I was to get rid of it.

I can't imagine selling stuff if I was so paranoid of being ripped off that I had to haul my stuff to a public place to meet potential buyers. Maybe if I were selling diamonds or gold coins it would be a different story.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 AM

8,315 posts, read 26,613,019 times
I have scored some amazing deals on Craigslist in the past. Over the past few years, as the popularity has grown, CL has become mostly junk.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
We will be relocating next year so for the past few months we have been selling, giving away, and discarding tons of stuff.

I advertise on Craig's list or Freecycle and all of the people, whether men, women, or families who have come have been nice people and as happy to get the stuff as I was to get rid of it.

I can't imagine selling stuff if I was so paranoid of being ripped off that I had to haul my stuff to a public place to meet potential buyers. Maybe if I were selling diamonds or gold coins it would be a different story.
These are probably usually people selling things that don't need to be "hauled". I sold a car stereo on CL, and the buyer suggested we meet at a place between our neighborhoods. It saved either of us half a trip, and it's generally a tad safer.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:37 PM

99 posts, read 304,456 times
Default Craigslist experiences

I have had good and bad experiences with craigslist. On the buying side, I found a great dresser and desk. One bad experience that I have had is that one lady was selling furniture and after she said that I could come buy it-she raised the price considerably. She had gotten a lot of replies to her ad. The other experience was that the item that was pictured in the ad wasn't even the same one when I got to her house!

On the selling end, I have had a lot of luck. There are people who email you for things and then when you relpy that you still have it, you never hear from them again. Or those that don't show up when they say that they will. There are far more good transactions that happen than bad though. All in all, I love using craigslist...I would recommend only dealing locally.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:09 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,296,148 times
brokencrayola mentioned meeting in a parking lot to sell goods...I totally agree.
If I advertise an item to sell on there and get notifications on it I will always meet up in a very busy parking lot/mall and I always bring a friend with me.
I don't think anyone needs to be reminded that freaks and weirdos hit up sites like that too ....not everyone is a good, decent person.

And, I don't want strangers scoping out my house...

I just sold a bike on Craigslist last week...made the transaction in a police station parking lot....lol...can't get any safer than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products