Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 06:15 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have decided to spend a bit more this time than we normally do on a good mattress. However finding a good mattress is not easy.

I've been reading over old mattress threads on here for hours and they have helped but I wanted to post my personal mattress journey.

I found it's impossible to comparative shop because each store gets a different "name" for the different mattress for each manufacturer.

I am just beyond overwhelmed with coil counts, firmness, pillowtops, latex, foam, etc... I am pretty much certain I do not want an entirely foam mattress because I sleep very hot and live where it is pretty hot year round. I hear latex is good for hot sleepers. So now I have no idea where to look. I look online but again, it's impossible to compare. I found a 1256 coil count at an online reputable retailer and it's like $1500 and something with that coil count is over $3000 at my local mattress shop.

Then I heard about the W hotel bed. I've never stayed in the w hotel but they sell their bed online and it's normally like 1600 and I found a 35% off coupon. You can buy it with or without pillowtop. I've read that pillowtops degrade faster and I should just buy my own pillowtop and get a firmer mattress.

I know this is a jumble of information but I'm just overwhelmed. Can anyone offer any insight before I go crazy over selecting a mattress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:53 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
My wife and I have decided to spend a bit more this time than we normally do on a good mattress. However finding a good mattress is not easy.

I found it's impossible to comparative shop because each store gets a different "name" for the different mattress for each manufacturer.
Difficult but not impossible if you can do a little sweet talking. http://www.city-data.com/forum/14193491-post7.html

Old 02-15-2012, 11:06 AM

22,562 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I gave up with the big name brands.
I instead go to a store that makes mattresses locally. Now that we have bought from them a few times, we know exactly what we want/what they have/what to expect.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:08 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:

I've been reading over old mattress threads on here for hours and they have helped but I wanted to post my personal mattress journey.

I am just beyond overwhelmed with coil counts, firmness, pillowtops, latex, foam, etc... I am pretty much certain I do not want an entirely foam mattress because I sleep very hot and live where it is pretty hot year round. I hear latex is good for hot sleepers. So now I have no idea where to look. I look online but again, it's impossible to compare. I found a 1256 coil count at an online reputable retailer and it's like $1500 and something with that coil count is over $3000 at my local mattress shop.

Then I heard about the W hotel bed. I've never stayed in the w hotel but they sell their bed online and it's normally like 1600 and I found a 35% off coupon. You can buy it with or without pillowtop. I've read that pillowtops degrade faster and I should just buy my own pillowtop and get a firmer mattress.

I know this is a jumble of information but I'm just overwhelmed. Can anyone offer any insight before I go crazy over selecting a mattress?
This may sound absolutely silly however, hubby and I found our mattress from staying at a LaQuinta Inn one night. The mattress they have on their beds is incredible. It is a Serta something or other and we found our new mattress at Slumberland. It is not exactly what LaQuinta but is the closest of all the mattresses available at Slumberland. Maybe call LaQuinta and ask them what the name of the mattress they use is. I wish I still had the note I carried around for weeks with the name of that mattress on it from LaQuinta.

Good luck

Old 02-15-2012, 11:42 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:

I feel your pain, I think we're due for a new mattress in the next year and I'm totally dreading shopping for one!

I also hate shopping for cell phone service, gyms, and cars...

Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 AM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
this website has a lot of useful information about mattresses:
Mattress Reviews & Ratings : How to Sleep Better : Sleep Like the Dead

Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
When we stayed at a Best Western we slept on a bed that was perfect for us. The manager gave us the name of the style and that the beds came directly from Sealy. We called Sealy directly and were told that that bed style was specially made for hotels only, but when shopping at the retail store we should look for those with over 900 count coils.
We went to a independent mattress place that makes their own and they fixed us up with a high coil count and delivered it to us for one price of $450.00 plus $40.00 for heavy duty frame. That's been over 2 years and we're happy.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,325 times
I went to my local Sleepy's and laid down on Sleep to Live's Bed match and it turned out I am in the Blue range. Even though the Red range was firmer, I liked the Blue better. Anyway, this being President's Day Weekend, there is a sale going on. For the Queen bed, the Sleep To Live, 3 Series comes to $2,300.00 ( and that includes $300.00 worth of bed accessories-3 Side Sleeper pillows and a Mattress Protector.) And does anyone know that they HAVE to charge you to take your old mattress and box spring away at a cost of $15.99 each? I had never heard of that! Can anyone help me with this? After reading all of these reviews, I am not too sure on what to do. BTW, I was in the store for over 2 and 1/2 hours and also laid on many other mattresses. I really like the Sleep to Live Series 3 Blue. Can you help? I also get free delivery too. Do you think this is a good deal? Now I don't think so. Thanks very much!!!

Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
My mattress hunt is still going on but I've found an awesome resource for mattress advice. Check this blog out and send him a question. He answered my question within a few days.

The Mattress Expert Blog - PennLive.com

Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 AM

95 posts, read 289,926 times
Oh I'm so glad to hear others talk about the insanity of mattress buying. It is crazy, same as others here. We were looking and it was driving us nuts...ok I compare it to the million of choices in buying bread..Yikes! Ok what we did is we read many reviews on Mattress Toppers, you have to be careful. I'm embarassed to say our beds are 10 years old. Ok we just got our Mattress Toppper 3 weeks ago and we are sleeping better than babies. I don't know if I can say the brand here but if you DM me I'll give you info. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products