U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:06 PM

15,566 posts, read 36,922,766 times

Advertisements

My mom works in retail and comes home stressed out every day. Customers are rude, try to switch prices on items then argue about it, complain about how long the line is, etc, etc. I try to tell her not to allow their bad attitudes to dictate the mood she is going to have for the day, but it is very hard for her. I know she can't wait to retire (she's over 60), but she can't afford to retire any time soon.

People need to have a little compassion and understanding and show some kindness and respect to the people waiting on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 06:26 PM

2,009 posts, read 5,273,743 times
How funny, I was going to start a thread on how to deal with poor service. I'm sorry, but I've been there, I know what it's like to have to be nice, and it isn't that hard. When I am patronizing your store, I expect some kindness, a hello, and a proper goodbye. But when I walk into a salon and the receptionist doesn't look up from her magazine to greet me, I will get annoyed. When I'm in Target and the checkout lady has a scowl on her face and is talking to the other checkout lady in the next lane, I get annoyed. Give me a break. I'm kind of tired of dealing with poor service. If you can't do your job nicely, then don't do it at all. It's called "having a good work ethic" and being an "adult". Sorry, just my opinion.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:42 PM

302 posts, read 841,027 times
I worked retail, made only $6.60 an hour (this was two years ago), and not having your politeness and respect returned sucks. I remember this one particular woman who took the time out to talk to me as if I was a complete moron because I told her an item was not on sale, despite being in a sales display (now, if the display is full of umbrellas, and you see one, just one belt in there, is it not safe to assume that the one belt is not in the right place?). Holidays are hectic, but remembering my experience with that woman makes me appreciate what retail workers deal with regularly.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,364,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
I find this to be true. I find the people that treat waiters (and other customer service workers) like crap to be detestable human beings.
I only treat them bad when I'm mad!

Seriously, if your CEO friend takes people out to dinner and is paying for it, I'd think the person being treated would be on their best behavior. People can act genuinely nice when they are trying to suck up, and then put on a totally different persona when they are out on their own or with someone else.

greenie

Old 12-05-2007, 01:23 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,364,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
How funny, I was going to start a thread on how to deal with poor service. I'm sorry, but I've been there, I know what it's like to have to be nice, and it isn't that hard. When I am patronizing your store, I expect some kindness, a hello, and a proper goodbye. But when I walk into a salon and the receptionist doesn't look up from her magazine to greet me, I will get annoyed. When I'm in Target and the checkout lady has a scowl on her face and is talking to the other checkout lady in the next lane, I get annoyed. Give me a break. I'm kind of tired of dealing with poor service. If you can't do your job nicely, then don't do it at all. It's called "having a good work ethic" and being an "adult". Sorry, just my opinion.
Me too. I was at Barnes and Noble the other day and totally lost it with a sales clerk who was so unbelievable rude to me. I called a lodged a formal complaint with corporate, but do you think anyone called me back to apologize? No. Some companies make it clear they don't care about the customer.

Whole Foods has great employees. Always happy people working there. I think it's because they are paid reasonably well and get benefits. Trader Joes also has great customer service. Never had a bad experience at either of those places.

greenie

Old 12-05-2007, 05:12 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,661,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
If your working retail and only making $8-$15 an hour i'm sure its tough to always have a ready smile on your face but most of them are pretty nice.
$15/hr for retail ain't too shabby! Many in other professions would love to make that much! And office workers can be just as mistreated as retail workers...sometimes much worse since with retail, at least the customer will be out the door soon, whereas in an office setting (or factory, etc), if a co-worker or boss is rude, etc., the employee is stuck with that jerk all day, every day.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:20 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,661,677 times
When I receive excellent customer service I usually compliment the employee and have even relayed it to the store manager. And if the opposite is true, I have contacted the store manager about that as well.

One store manager at a grocery store told me his hands were tied because he was happy if the employees even bothered to show up at work! He said he received numerous complaints about cashiers' poor attitudes but there's nothing he can do about it. . . and that makes him a big part of the problem.

One clerk at a major department store had a very negative and rude attitude and I asked her if she hated her job. She replied, "Yes!"; so I told her it showed and that I didn't appreciate her taking it out on me. That stopped her short and she at least apologized and was much nicer.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:08 AM

500 posts, read 966,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I only treat them bad when I'm mad!
Is that often?

Quote:
Seriously, if your CEO friend takes people out to dinner and is paying for it, I'd think the person being treated would be on their best behavior. People can act genuinely nice when they are trying to suck up, and then put on a totally different persona when they are out on their own or with someone else.
One would think, but the same people that regularly treat wait staff rudely generally either don't notice it or feel like that is part of the dining experience; that feeling of superiority is part of what you're paying for... ambiance, if you will. In part of the article about this CEO fella, he talked about how he felt that many people that were not hired were trying to impress him with their... gentile ways.

Just as many of you have said that you relate your bad service experience back to the rude employee, or even a manager, (That's right! Get those *******s fired!) I go out of my way to call people on their unwarranted rudeness to service folk. It's kind of fun, actually. After their rude behavior I'll simply ask them if they feel more powerful now. The responses are often comic.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,081,078 times
i worked at barnes and noble for a while and i did work with some "know it all" types that could be viewed as rude. it's possible i guess to get a chip on your shoulder there but most of my coworkers were extremely funny and well rounded.
Quote:
Me too. I was at Barnes and Noble the other day and totally lost it with a sales clerk who was so unbelievable rude to me. I called a lodged a formal complaint with corporate, but do you think anyone called me back to apologize? No. Some companies make it clear they don't care about the customer.

Whole Foods has great employees. Always happy people working there. I think it's because they are paid reasonably well and get benefits. Trader Joes also has great customer service. Never had a bad experience at either of those places.

greenie

Old 12-05-2007, 09:27 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,242,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
When I receive excellent customer service I usually compliment the employee and have even relayed it to the store manager. And if the opposite is true, I have contacted the store manager about that as well.
I try to compliment outstanding service too; Macy's makes it really easy by offering a form on their website. I also once wrote a letter to American Airlines to compliment them on their ground staff and flight crew on a particular flight I took. I never heard anything in response, but hopefully the letters I wrote made it into the employees' personnel files. Outstanding service deserves to be recognized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products