U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 03:13 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,695,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I try to compliment outstanding service too; Macy's makes it really easy by offering a form on their website. I also once wrote a letter to American Airlines to compliment them on their ground staff and flight crew on a particular flight I took. I never heard anything in response, but hopefully the letters I wrote made it into the employees' personnel files. Outstanding service deserves to be recognized.
I totally agree. To many times it is only the poor service that people notice and report when all to often there is good service that should also be noted. I try to always tell or write a note if someone has gone above and beyond in their service for me. You'd be amazed at how rare this is for people to take out the time to show this appreciation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 03:37 PM

5,654 posts, read 17,476,509 times
Yes, I had several customers give kudos to my manager.
And one sweet old lady tried to give me $$ cause I spent an hour looking for a specific bedjacket for her in our stockroom and finally found it for her... what a nice woman.
Makes a difference.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:50 PM

8,267 posts, read 18,723,616 times
I try to always tell or write a note if someone has gone above and beyond in their service for me. You'd be amazed at how rare this is for people to take out the time to show this appreciation!

I do the same thing, cyn.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:59 PM

10,702 posts, read 9,671,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I try to compliment outstanding service too; Macy's makes it really easy by offering a form on their website. I also once wrote a letter to American Airlines to compliment them on their ground staff and flight crew on a particular flight I took. I never heard anything in response, but hopefully the letters I wrote made it into the employees' personnel files. Outstanding service deserves to be recognized.
I submitted a compliment on a company's website and they replied that they would ensure the employee was told what I wrote and rewarded. I hope they really did that!

Old 02-16-2008, 11:51 PM

135 posts, read 467,295 times
I totally agree, more respect is needed for our retail workers. I recently retired from the arena of retail when I finished school,-Food Lion and Staples- lol. I tell you some people are impossible. One defining moment for me was in high school working at Food Lion as a cashier- a grocery chain in the Southeast- and this wretched, dreadful woman yelled at me in a store full of people because I told her she could not come to the Express Lane with two carts full of groceries. She then proceeded to babble about how lazy I was and made a total scene with my manager about how "unbelievably rude I was". Meanwhile, I'm thinking lady, you haven't seen or heard a fraction of what I could say to you, catch me outside of this place. I was a 17 year old high school student at the time and so pissed that I could not yell back. On that day, I vowed to never attempt to berate anyone like that or be "stuck" in such a job that would force me to put up with that sort of crap on a daily basis, I'm not built for it. Again, hats off to retail workers, you certainly have my respect.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:58 AM

5,654 posts, read 17,476,509 times
charleston: yep - sounds like my experience. There are sick power-tripping individuals who get their jollies out of bullying sales clerks. (Majority of the ones I had run-ins with were older women for some reason.) They think the sales help are "below" them and the management's "customer is always right" will always back up the customer so they get away with it.

People that do this to sales clerks (and have seen it in restaurants too) make me sick.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:06 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,580,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
charleston: yep - sounds like my experience. There are sick power-tripping individuals who get their jollies out of bullying sales clerks. They think the sales help are "below" them and the management's "customer is always right" will always back up the customer so they get away with it.

People that do this to sales clerks (and have seen it in restaurants too) make me sick.
this is exactly how I feel.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:44 AM

32,850 posts, read 60,979,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Whole Foods has great employees. Always happy people working there. I think it's because they are paid reasonably well and get benefits. Trader Joes also has great customer service. Never had a bad experience at either of those places.
Those employees likely are very well-trained. They're trained to pay attention to the customer, trained to know where each category of merchandise in the store can be found, trained to count out change correctly, trained to work quickly and efficiently.

Unfortunately, that's an exception to the rule these days.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:22 AM

135 posts, read 467,295 times
Default I can relate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
charleston: yep - sounds like my experience. There are sick power-tripping individuals who get their jollies out of bullying sales clerks. (Majority of the ones I had run-ins with were older women for some reason.) They think the sales help are "below" them and the management's "customer is always right" will always back up the customer so they get away with it.

Definitely true, it's unfortunate that some people project their life issues/problems on random people they encounter-cashiers, people on the highway, etc. I'm glad for those experiences I had working retail, it made me tougher when dealing with the general public, lol. Seriously though, I'm very conscious of how I treat people when I'm a customer because I know what it feels like to have a total stranger try to disrespect you for some trivial reason.

Last edited by Charleston Class; 02-21-2008 at 12:39 AM..

Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 PM

8,267 posts, read 18,723,616 times
If anyone has read Nickel and Dimed in America , he or she would never be rude to anyone working in retail. I recommend this book for anyone who believes that working in a retail store is an easy job. It is a heart-breaking account.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products