U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 11:21 AM

34,531 posts, read 42,694,765 times

Advertisements

I've just been reading some threads about how nasty the people who work in retail are, and how bad customer service is. Truely, some people don't give a rat's ass, but most people do.

I worked at checkout at Home Depot last year for a month or so (not as glamorous as I thought it would be), and it struck me what a crappy job it is, and how much people who do this type of work are taken for granted. The checkout people are the ones who take all the crapola from customers and have NO say in making the changes which would correct any particular problem. No wonder they get frustrated. When the company is too cheap to hire enough employees, it's not their fault. When the company says "the customer comes first" it could not be farther from the truth. The bottom line comes first, and the resulting inconvenience to the customer gets dumped on the most lowly employees.

The next time you want to lose your temper, consider the fact that anytime you and your family feels like going out to buy something, someone is working at a store; evenings, weekends, holidays etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 11:37 AM

28,227 posts, read 19,208,307 times
Anyone working with the general public knows it is a thankless job. I go out of my way to be courteous to anyone working in retail-even if they're having a bad day.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:47 AM

21,902 posts, read 20,891,721 times
My husband is one of those that, at times, is rather rude to the poor employees. It makes me so angry I walk away. He has gotten better but not good enough in my opinion and I don't hesitate to let him know it either. I have worked with the public and it can be a very depressing job. Sure, the majority of customers and employees are good but it only takes a few jerks to make the whole day seem bad!! I, personally will always remember my days working with the public as a cashier in a grocery store and do my best to be understanding and respectful of others in those positions!!! People can be so cruel!!

Old 12-02-2007, 12:38 PM

7,268 posts, read 16,845,135 times
I used to work in retail so I know how it is.
These people are already having a bad day (I'm not even going to mention some of the things customers do) so I go out of my way to be nice.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:54 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,208,307 times
being nice costs nothing and can reap rewards. I make it a habit to treat everyone as I want to be treated.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:31 AM

500 posts, read 942,764 times
I read an article a year or so ago... not sure where, or who the particulars are...

Anyway, the article was about a CEO of a rather large and succesful company that always took prospective new-hires out to lunch as part of the interview process. He would watch how this person treated their waitperson, watch to see whether they were condescending, demanding, or rude. If he felt like they were he would tell them at the end of the meal that they were most assuredly NOT hired, and he would explain why, calling their server over to explain how they felt when this person treated them in such a fashion. His argument was that he didn't want ANY of his employees treated like crap by ANY other employee, no matter how high or low on the totem pole, and their treatment of a customer service agent was a good indicator of their character.

I find this to be true. I find the people that treat waiters (and other customer service workers) like crap to be detestable human beings.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:41 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,732,469 times
I agree that customers need to be respectful of retail workers - - and vice versa!

There are good workers and bad workers, just the same as there are good customers and bad customers. You'll find that the people with bad attitudes are that way no matter where they are.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,398,957 times
If your working retail and only making $8-$15 an hour i'm sure its tough to always have a ready smile on your face but most of them are pretty nice.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:48 AM

12,925 posts, read 24,048,548 times
I do!! I could not work retail.
I really feel for them especially on holidays..why in the world do places like K Mart, Walmart need to be open on Thanksgiving??? Their employees should be home celebrating the holidays with their families...

I know I may end up with no where to shop but companies like these have been eleiminated from where I would shop

Old 12-04-2007, 09:57 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,924,254 times
Yes, worked retail for years. Big department store. People can be SO rude. And when you are working for minimum wage, and you have no choice but to work there... it is so disheartening. Ruined holidays for me, that's for sure.

I never could understand why these people are getting so cranky and nasty shopping for all these gifts... treating floor help like garbage. And then they go home, go to church to celebrate the birth of christ, and be all lovey with their families... what is UP with that? Lighten up people.

Actually because of my experiences, I have a good attitude about the holiday now, and try to make it about the religious experience and not so commercial, like all the stores push it to be.

Be nice to those people. And workers, be nice to the shoppers too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products