Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:29 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,374,833 times

Advertisements

Most of my family already has what they need so I looked hard and tracked down a few things I thought would have some meaning this year.

For my parents I found an original Tom Micks rocking horse, they collect things when they travel and think they will be shocked when they see this.

I bought my sister an unopened pack of Clackers among other things, I just thought it was a funny gift because it was a deadly toy from her childhood past.

I got my brother a Year Book from his highschool to replace the one he had that was lost in a fire.

Still looking for more stuff.

Anyone else want to share some ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:46 AM

392 posts, read 1,858,743 times
My family is the same, no one NEEDS anything.
This year I found (thanks to EBay) the set of Christmas albums we always listened to growing up, back in the 60's and 70's. There are 10 albums and I can promise you we know every song by heart and I mean that in a good way
At some point my dad transferred all the music to reel to reel tape and the albums disappeared. About 10 years ago my dad died the R2R broke, that was the end of our Christmas music.
I converted all the albums to digital and burned them onto CDs.
I know for my siblings and mom this will be a great gift.
One year I got my sister a card game that we had always played as kids. She was thrilled as it wasn't something she would have ever have found on her own.
Personally I would much prefer a small gift with a special memory attached to anything else.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:27 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,390 times
I really like these ideas - both of you are very rhoughtful gift givers. Today it is so easy to go to the mall or Target and just purchase a random gift for someone, but I would MUCH rather get the kind of gifts you are talking about. I ordered some strange pudding mix for my sister that she remembers growing up, and she and I have scanned all the old family pictures for our brothers...not only are gifts like this fun to get, they are also very fun to give!

Old 11-17-2007, 09:43 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
When up against folks who don't need anything I try to find things they would like, but might not buy for themselves.

I have a friend who loves wine, and I found a small wine shop with many exotic wines. A couple of bottles cost me $14 and she was thrilled.

I have another friend who was really in to cooking, but not very good at it. I paid for a couple of cooking lessons.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:33 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
Default From a previous thread....

A friend is moving out of state at the end of the year and I didn't want to burden her with anything else to pack. We both enjoy going out to nice restaurants, so this is what I came up with: I printed menus from a few of the nicer restaurants in the city where she is moving, put them in a glitzy folder and enclosed an American Express "dining" card. On the opening page, I wrote a poem, much more original than a Christmas card!

Anybody else have any unique ideas?

Old 11-19-2007, 07:34 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,534,548 times
I love this kind of gift giving....
I found a website that featured stuff from the past..it was like taking a trip to grandma's house.
Some of the Christmas candles that my grandmother had melted in attic so this year I ordered a set for each of my siblings...I also got my mom a couple things like they had....and I'll keep the website from them so I can surprise them again next year.....psssst it's the Vermont Country Store.....DON'T tell them.....

Old 11-20-2007, 04:08 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
While going through some old family photos, etc. with my niece & nephew, we came across some Confederate money. My nephew flipped out! I was really surprised at how excited he got, but since he recently got his degree in finance & is working in a bank, it makes sense he would appreciate old currency.

So I had matting cut for 6 of the bills and framed them. AND, he has moved into his first condo and has nothing on the walls, so hopefully, a great gift.

I also like to give tickets to the theater to those who enjoy it.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:31 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo62 View Post
I love this kind of gift giving....
I found a website that featured stuff from the past..it was like taking a trip to grandma's house.
Some of the Christmas candles that my grandmother had melted in attic so this year I ordered a set for each of my siblings...I also got my mom a couple things like they had....and I'll keep the website from them so I can surprise them again next year.....psssst it's the Vermont Country Store.....DON'T tell them.....

Mind sharing the site? It sounds cool.

I am getting my mom a family tree software program and a subscription to ancestry.com

Old 11-26-2007, 09:10 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
My most treasured Christmas present is a rag quilt my sister made and gave me about 4 years ago. I LOVE that thing!!! A few years later, she croched me a BEAUTIFUL shawl..

Why are these things so special to me... She has never sewen worth a darn or croched!

Old 12-03-2007, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,689 times
Default Great gift site and a cool concept

I use this site for giving gifts to my friends and family as it provides them the choice to pick gifts from a variety of choices for each gift card category/price. The gift cards/albums range from 25$ - 700$ and great gift categories like guy gear, personal accents,luxury, ghiradeli chocolates etc.

THe url for it is

sthakkar.ordermygift.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products