Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 06:34 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I’m with you on this.

I may cut out some pure decadent or luxury food items, but I'm not going to get so worked up over rising food cost when there are hundreds of other non-essential budget items I can tweak.

Overall, my strategy is to make sure my financial compensation keeps pace with rising essential budget items. Everything is going up so I make sure my pay keeps going up.
''

not possible for retired folks. We are set for life but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be careful with how we spend our money. We also have children to set good examples for. When you face uncertain costs for senior years and devastating illnesses, you can't be too careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 03:08 PM

302 posts, read 368,635 times
IMHO

We all should start gardening , even if it's just an herb or sprout garden !

Did you know Chia sprouts ( yes like the Chia pet lol ) are very nutritious ? As a seed they can be eaten too .

A small space is all that's needed for a sprout garden and micro veggies like baby carrots, broccoli , lettuce , etc..

Saving money on meats can be done if you like to fish / hunt / garden or know somebody that does . Just freeze what you don't eat .

I know plenty of fishermen in my area who don't eat fish but fish for the ' sport ' w/e that is and are generous with the catch. Fresh game is heaven and fish eaten the same day it's caught is amazing : )

There is a new movement among the kids to small- scale farming and all that goes with it like bee keeping , making cheeses , wine , soaps and what not , my guess is they're tired of not knowing where the food came from or if it was tortured like in those horrible documentaries we've all heard about .

Lot's of things can be made or grown without going to a store and paying for it , but this forum is about food so I'll keep on subject .

Tomatoes are very easy to grow and if you eat them fresh just put the seeds on a napkin to dry a few days , then plant in soil and water ( just keep moist - don't drown the plant ) every other day. Keep them in a sunny place .
The same goes for cucumbers and peppers .

Also got myself a couple of old cook books - from family and at Salvation Army store , to find out how to make baked goods from scratch . One book had a recipe for DANDELION WINE : ) Can't wait to try THAT heh heh heh

I hear they're also good in salads ( caution : eat only the dandelion w/o pesticide ) the green leaf can be eaten or steamed to make a tea . That plant is notoriously easy to grow and has more uses than coca cola .

just my 2 cents - hope it helps

Old 03-01-2014, 08:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
As of right now hunting is still more expensive than buying meat.

That might change in the future.

Venison is our main meat but cheap it is not.

Fishing also is a pricey sport in our area.....now to get walleye the guys have to go 4 to 5 miles out on the bay.

Then they can just take 5 fish.

That takes good equipment.......but, the fish was great last night.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:07 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
I can easily dial down my meat consumption. My wife eats about 2 ounces a day. Frozen and canned vegetables are the cheapest of all and don't only come from drought-stricken areas.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:13 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
I can easily dial down my meat consumption. My wife eats about 2 ounces a day. Frozen and canned vegetables are the cheapest of all and don't only come from drought-stricken areas.
I'm gonna have to be near bankruptcy to start eating canned or even frozen veggies. I do keep canned corn and tomatoes for recipes but for side dishes or even main dishes I insist on only fresh vegies. i would sooner give up on ALL meat.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 AM

Trading meat for fresh veggies is an upgrade.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:41 PM

Hubby bought a loin of beef and had it cut into 18 rib-eyes for the grill this summer.

Nice looking meat.....I just vacuum packed it.

He paid $125.

There are deals out there if you look.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:53 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
We're getting more than enough eggs from a few chickens for 5 people. I eat eggs daily. Milk here is usually 2 gallons for $5 -- so we're drinking plenty of milk.

I'll most likely grow some vegetables -- lettuce, tomatoes, squash.

Instead of the cheapest bread, I'm buying the better tasting bread now and making more sandwiches. Less beef for sure.

Anytime I decide to spend less money on food, we end up eating healtier.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:34 PM

$14 a steak? Not a "deal" in my book. I can get a grass-fed steak for less than that. Is this $14 steak hormone and antibioltic free?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
$14 a steak? Not a "deal" in my book. I can get a grass-fed steak for less than that. Is this $14 steak hormone and antibioltic free?
If that was about my post....I come up with $7 a steak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products