Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 02:12 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Have never understood the girlie day out... going round shop after shop.. not my thing at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 07:31 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I realize many women do, I just find it odd. I'm a female & I love it all: The clothes, shoes, bags, jewelry, sunglasses, makeup, etc.! How can a woman not like to shop?! From what I've seen, it's because maybe the woman isn't the slimmest in appearance so shopping around for clothes & disliking how they fit is just a frustrating & miserable experience. Then, of course there's not having the money to shop like one really wants to. What other reasons are there?
I don't enjoy shopping. I don't find it "fun" to go try on a thousand dresses and shoes, spend money on handbags, paw over make up, etc. It has nothing to do with my appearance. I have no problem finding clothes and shoes that fit, nor do I have a problem finding the right sunglasses because my face shape looks good in many of them. I look fantastic in hats, but that doesn't mean I enjoy shopping for hats. I could be a millionaire and I still wouldn't find it fun. I just don't find it practical to waste time doing that. When I do have to go get new clothes, I go in, I look for something that isn't ridiculous, something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, try it on, get the hell out of there.

If you're looking for a reason, I guess it's mainly because I'd rather be doing something else with my time. Most of the clothes I see are ugly, most of the shoes I see are ugly, I'm not a handbag type of girl, I prefer the cute little mini backpacks and can easily find those in Target within a few minutes if I need a new one.

I'd rather be gaming, or writing, or outside doing something fun like taking my dogs on a hike. Being inside some store with terrible lighting, overpriced clothing, that store smell, and, if in a mall, that horrid food court stench, aside from having to deal with people who walk worse than they drive, is not my idea of a good time.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:40 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Just an FYI

For all you ladies who hate grocery shopping, I would gladly do it for you as long as other customers weren't around, lol.

Hmm…if I wasn't so rural I bet I could make a business out of grocery shopping for others and love it
There have been companies that do just this...mainly in the city. You don't find that in rural areas...but there's definitely people in rural areas who would love it. Maybe start "innocently" inquiring...you never know. If you opened up that business where I live? I would totally use your services...like, today. Right now. Because I have to go to the store and get groceries, and I hate it all so much.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I realize many women do, I just find it odd. I'm a female & I love it all: The clothes, shoes, bags, jewelry, sunglasses, makeup, etc.! How can a woman not like to shop?! From what I've seen, it's because maybe the woman isn't the slimmest in appearance so shopping around for clothes & disliking how they fit is just a frustrating & miserable experience. Then, of course there's not having the money to shop like one really wants to. What other reasons are there?
I'm skinny and I'm not the biggest fan of clothes shopping. Some stores have stupid limits on how much you can try on. Some stores won't start a fitting room for you so you have to schlep all this crap from area to area and it gets heavy. Some stores don't have anywhere to sit in the fitting room so I have to hop from foot to foot to get my shoes and pants off. Some stores have long waits for a fitting room and you feel pressured to go as fast as you can because there are others waiting so you don't get to have a very good look at how the clothes fit, unless you want to put up with people in line staring daggers at you as you go back and forth to the 3-way mirror. OH, and some stores don't even have a 3-way mirror. Some stores are understaffed so there's nobody there to grab another size for you. We don't all shop at fancy stores.

Etc. etc. etc.

Then there's shoe shopping. Ugh. Unless you like some of the dorky or tarty contraptions that pass for "shoes" nowadays, it's a thin slice of hell. I hate it. I buy maybe 1-2 pairs of shoes a year and have maybe 3 pairs in my regular rotation at any given time. I wear them until they fall apart.

And makeup shopping. Holy crap. Hate it.

On the other hand...I can easily spend a couple of hours at Target if they have lots of nice new stuff. Sometimes recreational shopping can be fun. But I have to be in the mood for it. I like to browse at places like West Elm, Z Gallerie, Crate and Barrel, etc. I rarely buy anything though. I also like Bed Bath and Beyond...that place is fun.

My favorite places to shop are the ones that sell bath and body smellies and candle stores. I dunno...I guess smelling things is my favorite.

P.S. I'm a chick.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:26 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Some stores don't have anywhere to sit in the fitting room so I have to hop from foot to foot to get my shoes and pants off.
And I have nowhere to set my sunglasses while trying on stuff. Nowhere to sit, just a few hooks on the wall.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:51 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I agree that some stores, I'd never buy clothes from in a million years, like that store called Cotton On & some others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Have never understood the girlie day out... going round shop after shop.. not my thing at all...
Oh I'm not that type either...I'm 39 & only did it ONE handful of times in my life & even then, it's with 1 other gal pal, not a group of friends.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:02 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
I enjoy shopping...for books, antiques, guns, thrift store finds and general gardening/household stuff. I enjoy yard sales, thrift stores and craigslist for random stuff. I love, love, love Freecycle. So many awesome free finds on that store.

I don't have lots of money to spend, so I am always looking for a bargain.

As for clothing....I wear pretty much the same thing every day. Jeans ( I own 4 pairs) and black or grey tees (atleast 20). I own two pairs of black sneakers and one set of flip flops. I'm set, no need to buy other clothes.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:34 AM

5 posts, read 20,272 times
I use online apps to organize my shopping list. Online apps help me out to remember lot of things which i have to buy. You can also see yourself by signing up on Smartlyfe, Todo List, Shopping list and so on.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:47 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,138,652 times
You know what I really hate about shopping? The cashier never gives me time to put my change back in my purse! Then my hands shake because I feel so rushed!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I have the money and I am thin..........AND I HATE TO SHOP......especially for clothes.

Just because you are thin doesn't mean it is easy to find clothes that fit.

Jeans are the worst.....too short, too long, too tight here, too loose there, rise too low, rise too high, pockets too low and on and on and on......trudge from store to store to store, dressing and undressing 20 times........NOT my idea of fun.

Shoes....I am a popular size, so, more often than not, when I do find a pair of shoes I like, they don't have my size.......so, now I buy them online. No driving all over town, park, walk in, find a pair of shoes I like...."sorry, all out of your size".....repeat, repeat, repeat. NOT FUN.

The "thrill" of shopping petered out by the time I hit 20, since then, I have considered it an unpleasant chore.
Thanks for doing all the talking for me. That would have been my response. I'll add that I have no style, and don't know how to pair even a skirt and top, or dresses and shoes. So I just don't bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products