Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:14 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times

Advertisements

I get my money back well over two fold. I belong to BJ's which is similar and pay $80 for a yearly Gold Membership. Cheaper through work discount program. That affords me 2% back on all purchase except gas.

So right off the bat before we get into grocery savings and my 2% I save on gas there. It is not out of my way to go and currently 93 Octane is $3.99 in CT. Any other station nearby is over $4, by at least $.20 when using my card which I always do. So every time I fillup at BJ's I'm saving at least $2 (10 gallons). Simple math 3 fillups a month = $6 x 12 months = $72. Now that is just my car and not my wife's which uses 87 Octane and needs 20 gallons to fillup. The membership paid for itself already and then some.

Now onto the bulk savings. We don't shop there for everything, we make the trips every couple of months. But we get our toiletries, paper products, plastic ware, chips, peanut butter, croutons, sometimes meat and milk there because it's cheaper. Using the coupons we get in their booklet help as well, $6 off on Dog food or Milke for $3.09 when it's $3.50 almost everywhere else.

Then add up your 2% which you get back in a gift card to use in the store and we get anywhere from $100-150 back each year give or take.

It really is worth it if you plan out and buy the appropriate things there. Plus they get really good deals on occasion for things like TV's, patio sets, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 04:11 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,522 times
a 24 pack of 16oz monster energy drink is about $30. That comes out to $1.25 a can. The stores sell them for $2.69 and if they are on sale they do a 2 for $4.00.

So 24 X $2.69 = $64.56

and the sale price

2 for $4.00 X 12 = $48

So I'm saving anywhere from $18 to $34 every single time I buy a case of monster. If I only go there just to buy 4 cases of monster a year and nothing else, my membership has paid for itself.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:37 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,706 times
I also have the executive membership and rebate card, and I almost always get a check for more than the membership cost.

To me, their return policy and the fact that they stand behind everything they sell makes the membership worth it to me, even without the rebate. I know if an item breaks, rather than have to try to get the manufacturer's warranty to cover it or have to replace the item altogether, I can be assured that Costco will take care of the issue. That is a huge plus for me.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:59 AM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
^^ Agree with the post above. Another neat thing I saw was if there is ever a recall for whatever reason Costco know who purchased the product and will notify them to take action.

I'm guessing other membership stores like Sam's can do the same thing.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:18 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
The math is even better when you consider that you pay for one membership and get one free.
The Executive membership gives you 2% annual reward on most Costco purchases, and extra benefits on member services, such as lower prices on check printing, auto financing and long-distance phone service; larger Costco Cash card amounts for mortgage, real estate and home equity transactions; one-year free roadside assistance for vehicles covered through the Auto Insurance Program; and extra travel benefits.
They return policy is simple awesome. Basically anything can be returned for refund at anytime except: cameras, computers and electronic items have a 90 day limit. ANY REASON!
I saw people bringing really old stuff, used and abused, and say that they are not happy with it anymore. They got their money back.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:09 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,488 times
The free food samples alone more than pays for itself. By the time we're done shopping there's no need to go out for lunch.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We also get a rebate that more than covers the membership, but just the savings on gas would also cover it and then some. We do find an occasional sale price at a supermarket that beats Costco on an item or two, but 95% of our food comes from Costco and it saves us a lot. Some items are not even available elsewhere. Their $13 jeans are great, and the equivalent will be double that elsewhere. Our favorite bread is about the same price for two loaves as one at Safeway, and the loaves are bigger.
Look at the battery prices, 40 AA for about $12 is 1/3 of what they cost elsewhere
except for Harbor Freight, and there's are poor quality.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Get the Costco Amex and your really raking in the savings if you use it correctly.

Executive member here with a Costco True Earnings Business Amex. The money I save in gas alone more than pays for the membership fee.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:45 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times
I use the American Express CC that I got with my costco membership. Shopping there, generate enough cash back to cover my Costco membership every year. Most of the items I buy there are just food. Once in a blue moon, I buy something for the house or car but mostly food.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Around here you can do better in terms of gas prices...they're usually not the cheapest around by any stretch, but the location nearest me is on a busy highway and they are certainly the cheapest on that service road, but the others are soaking customers with really high prices per gallon.

For me I come out a bit ahead; whether it's worth it depends entirely on you and your buying habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products