Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 05:56 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,912,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
In my part of the south, they'd be treated as home invaders. Worst case scenario is that they'd get shot.
That's what would happen in both my homes. Alaska and Texas residents don't appreciate unwelcome guests. I have developed that mentality, but my first line of defense is not opening the door to strangers. It's pretty simple and effective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 06:04 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
Wheer I live they would have to register with city if not a charity.They also wouldn't last long trying to force way into houses.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:15 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,400,164 times
Around here, there are several companies that sell door-to-door, from windows and solar panels to food products, security systems to lawn care. The reason that it persists is that it works well enough for the company to remain profitable, and that a few salespeople can make a living off of it. I'm not defending aggressive tactics by any means, but I'm guessing that there are still enough people out there that buy from door-to-door salespeople to sustain that type of activity.

I can't speak for each one of these companies, but they draw salespeople in with the promise of unlimited income potential if they work hard enough. The salespeople themselves are under tremendous pressure because they work on straight commission, usually as independent contractors. That way, the company doesn't have to invest in salaries or benefits. For this reason, these are also the easiest jobs to get, which is tempting to someone who's been running the gauntlet of multiple interviews, personality tests and everything else that's part of today's hiring culture.

In many communities, a permit is required to sell door to door, but I'm not sure if the onus is on the company or on the salesperson to obtain the permit. I just know that many don't bother to get them because of the cost to get a permit for each area in which they sell - again, to limit the company's operating costs and maximize profit, and because of the salesperson's compensation structure.

As to why people open the door to these salespeople is anyone's guess. Maybe some people find it convenient to have someone come to their home, or they are more comfortable purchasing something face-to-face, rather than over the phone, online, or even getting in the car and going to a retail store. Some people just have an overwheming sense of curiosity about what the person on the other side is there for, and what they have to say. I guess the best line of defense for someone who wants to avoid door to door salespeople is to put up a "No Soliciting" sign, and/or just not answer the door if you don't know who it is or are not expecting someone.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:11 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmiller594 View Post
I was stunned when I read this. Apparently some door to door vacuum salesmen will push their way into your house and then refuse to leave for hours.

Why do so many people put up with this?

'Aggressive' door-to-door tactics examined
LOL...I have 2 guns. No salesman is coming in here uninvited. If they try to step in, I'll put a hand up and say "Stop right there, pal. I'm armed and this is Texas. Step off."

Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 AM

21 posts, read 19,814 times
I think in here, that can be a trespassing case too. If very persistent, that could cause arguments and discomfort.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,771,171 times
"Aggressive" salespeople will get nowhere (and that includes in your house--yeesh, people) if you're not a milquetoast.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:02 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,044,925 times
I'd never open my door to someone I didn't know. A woman in my area was raped by letting a magazine salesman inside her home

Old 05-13-2014, 06:50 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,632,268 times
I live in Alabama. Even my dogs have a gun.

I have a No soliciting sign on my front door that even says no political or religious canvassing and no sales. If you still knock on my door after that you can bet I'm going to answer it. But I guarantee you won't like the person on the other side. We are friendly people, but around here folks have been coming in to sell magazines only to come back later and rob you blind.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:30 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,379,757 times
My wife had a very aggressive magazine salesman, and a ****** imho. When I got home he tried to play the game with me too and wouldnt leave without selling me something. I have Staffordshire Bull Terrier with a loud bark that I let out of the bedroom and the guy ran pretty quickly.

Oddly enough the only person to walk into my house uninvited (that wasnt a breakin attempt) was a Jehova's Witness. He was an older guy and and I said dont come in and he did and asked him to leave and he wouldnt. I had to physically remove him.

Edited: Why is C O N M A N starred out ?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,345 posts, read 80,658,912 times
We haven't had that problem at all since the city passed a law requiring any door-to-door solicitors to have a permit, and the permit comes with a fee and background check. If you put a "No Solicitors" sign on the door (as we did) they can be arrested for ignoring it. People do call the police and they do get arrested since we have little else for the police to do around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products