U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:00 PM

19 posts, read 17,523 times

Advertisements

I have had a subscription for 5 years. I love it. I read it cover to cover and always keep the mags for 2 years out. They have an index in the back to help you find previous articles. I also have the online sub too. I rarely buy anything over 100 dollars without looking it up. From cars to baby items. I have been burnt way to many times by not doing the research. Very helpful mag. You won\'t be sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 08:22 PM

5,975 posts, read 17,760,430 times
I subscribe to both hard copy and web version but am only renewing the web version. I hate having to keep hard copies and as Murphy's Law goes, the one issue I need was the one I just threw out. The web version allows you to go back to archives, eliminating the clutter, and the search is faster instead of flipping through pages. Only thing is, sometimes, their data is dated. For example, as I was ready to buy my Maytag frontloader washer and dryer, their reviews only went back to the Maytag Epic, which was a failure. Maytag was since bought out (by Whirlpool if I'm not mistaken) so when products are fairly new, I would go to other sources for more recent opinions. The web version was cheaper at $19 except I don't know if that is a promo price for current CR hardcopy subscribers. I recommend and definitely worth it for the money.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:23 PM

199 posts, read 633,845 times
I had been a CR subscriber for years as my Dad has always been one. I just let my subscription lapse because I am so behind in reading my magazines, by the time I read it, the info is usually obselete. And I am running out of storage/shelf space. I try to keep the CRs for 2 years, but all of these magazines take up valuable real estate! Some of the info in the magazine is already old when it's printed up, and they tell you that in every issue. Model numbers change daily, and that does make it hard to compare and go to the store w/ the mag info.
I would recommend consumerreports.org if you have quite a few purchases ahead of you. I have also found so much info online in the past few years, I felt I could live w/o it. But I have only been w/o for a few months. HTH!

Old 02-23-2008, 10:11 AM

18,572 posts, read 55,502,062 times
I used to subscribe, but it got to a point that I wondered if they were living in a different world than I was. Reviews didn't cover the spectrum of popular products, and the car choices I followed from them turned out to be lemons. I'll check online at sites like epinions and save the money. I guess I'm shying away from being an everyday "consumer."

Old 02-29-2008, 07:50 PM

621 posts, read 2,950,938 times
I recently joined the online version and I love it. I got tired of going to the library and figured why not join. I would definitely recommend CR. I think it's worth the money. I love having all that info in one place. It so much more convienent than having to research many different websites and you know for the most part you are getting accurate information. It's even better that it's online now, because then you don't have to keep all the magazines and always have the most up to date information. I definitely say go for it.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,898,559 times
I would say the disadvantage of CR is that the people testing them aren't really the ones "using" the product. With sites like Amazon, epinions, and even Target, Circuit City, those are the real "consumers" with real experiences using the products on a daily basis, so I would say most of the time, their opinion is much more valuable.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:00 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,571,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Does anyone here subscribe to Consumer Reports? I think it's $26/year, which is not a bunch, but I can't decide whether to sign up for it or not. If you do, do you think it's worth it?
If you are a consumer who is always purchasing something, it is a good idea. I frequently just read the copies that are left in waiting rooms or read them in the library.

However, they do cover other various topics that are worth reading. They are non-profit.

I used to subscribe to the online access since most of the things I needed to see were back issues. If you can afford it, subscribe to both.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 PM

22,029 posts, read 23,568,986 times
I have had a subscription for years. I really do enjoy it. Even if I'm not in the market for certain stuff (yet) it gives me good things to think abou that I might not have thought to consider. For the record, I don't always agree with their opinions or testing (I tend to think some of their testing is regionally biased and I do think they have favorites) but I think they are good overall and their reliability information is generally good.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,958,163 times
Get it at the library as others have said.
I don't understand why people do not use the library more for EVERYTHING. Face it, how often do you re-read magazines/books?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:33 AM

18,572 posts, read 55,502,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Get it at the library as others have said.
I don't understand why people do not use the library more for EVERYTHING. Face it, how often do you re-read magazines/books?
I do this a lot. I've read most of the books in my library at least three times, and some magazine articles many more times than that. However, only certain magazines fit the criteria, and consumer reports is not one that does. Scientific American, the old Mother Earth News, some hobby and crafts magazines do and form a valuable part of my library. Thank goodness for the web and things like the Baen Free Library, googles old book search, and other resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products