Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

I subscribe toi it but don't thnik i will when it runs out. The reason is I disagree with so many of their reviews on products i have tried. Also in amny cases they want more money for many reports. many times you can get the same qauilty of review free on line too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:22 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
You could always check this site before considering Consumer Reports:
Consumer Guide expert reviews and ratings for new and used cars, consumer electronics, home&garden, upright vacuums, and more consumer products

Old 02-11-2009, 05:55 AM
cla

898 posts, read 3,307,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
I would say the disadvantage of CR is that the people testing them aren't really the ones "using" the product. With sites like Amazon, epinions, and even Target, Circuit City, those are the real "consumers" with real experiences using the products on a daily basis, so I would say most of the time, their opinion is much more valuable.
That is one advantage the CR website has over the magazine. Users post opinions as well. Whatever site I am using, CR, cnet, etc, I use the formal reviews to narrow down my search, but usually make a final decision based on the user reviews.

Of course, another advantage the CR website has over the magazine is that it is always handy - no matter where I am I can access the website and look for the information I need.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:38 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Like TV Guide, it's a dinosaur headed toward extinction, IMO. There are plenty of other outlets(cnet,etc.) where you can compare products and see other people's reviews at no charge.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:40 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
I like CR because it is supported by subscriptions, not ads. As much as I like the customer reviews on other sites, they can be fake. I prefer the online version of CR, I can always look up what I'm looking to buy. The only problem I have is that I tend to consume smaller items and they aren't always reviewed (e.g. televisions under 25").

Old 03-06-2009, 05:08 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,949,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I subscribe toi it but don't thnik i will when it runs out. The reason is I disagree with so many of their reviews on products i have tried. Also in amny cases they want more money for many reports. many times you can get the same qauilty of review free on line too.
I did have a subscription to it but decided not to renew. Then today I checked my credit card account, and I see a charge from them. I called the CC company and told them I did not authorize it. They were sending me renewal notices in the mail, but did not renew.

I called them and told them. They told me that the subscription renewal is automatic. So it's automatic and I'm getting renewal notices in the mail. The CC company took the charge off and told me they can do that, there is no dispute required.

You have to watch subscribing to anything, because once they have your CC number, it can be "automatic" when you don't want it to be.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:13 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I like CR because it is supported by subscriptions, not ads. As much as I like the customer reviews on other sites, they can be fake.
I like Consumers Reports too...my parents have been giving my sibs and me a subscription for Christmas for eons.

I don't always trust the online reviews either...some of them do seem kinda fake.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:45 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,078 times
I used to subscribe for years, but it is getting obsolete and they don't do the breakdown on the car issue like they used to. To me, tracking depreciation was important and they won't let you do that anymore. That pretty much was the end for me. And, until that point, a library copy would not have been good enough for me. So, whatever stupid idea they got in their head with the car issue, turned a lot of people off and, no, they aren't getting that message

If you're a "greeny" or you think professors should rule the world, then you probably like their politics. So, you might just get it for that, but not me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products