U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,892 times

Advertisements

I recently ran into trouble when a customer wanted my point of view on a credit card. I told him truthfully, I don't think a credit card is the best idea. He started talking about alot of debt he was in from credit cards already and I told him definitly not a good idea.

My manager calls me about 15 minutes later after I had talked to the customer and asked me if I said did you tell a customer not to get a credit card? First of all I would never tell someone not to buy anything becuase there trying to run the business but I wanted him to know the truth about the card because he asked about it. I told him alot of the fine print that comes along with a credit card.

I just don't understand am I suppost to lie the customer next time he asks for oponion. I work in retail by the way.

I know there trying to run a business because my manager said that like 100 x when he was yelling at me but its just stupid. I was trying to help the guy and all big retail cares about is screwing someone over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 04:08 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,895,228 times
Doesn't surprise me. My gf works in retail too and Kohl's was pretty bad at pushing their cards. You should have some retribution though as it isn't something you should get fired for doing.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:39 PM

2,589 posts, read 9,614,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24788 View Post
Can you be fired for not lieing for your company?
Depending on the State you live in you can be fired for any reason (or no reason) at all, as long as it doesn't go against a federal employment discrimination type law. These States are "at will" states when talking about "right to work".

Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,610,923 times
You can be fired for any reason if you are not union.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:22 AM

250 posts, read 856,875 times
Quote:
I recently ran into trouble when a customer wanted my point of view on a credit card. I told him truthfully, I don't think a credit card is the best idea. He started talking about alot of debt he was in from credit cards already and I told him definitly not a good idea.

My manager calls me about 15 minutes later after I had talked to the customer and asked me if I said did you tell a customer not to get a credit card? First of all I would never tell someone not to buy anything becuase there trying to run the business but I wanted him to know the truth about the card because he asked about it. I told him alot of the fine print that comes along with a credit card.

I just don't understand am I suppost to lie the customer next time he asks for oponion. I work in retail by the way.

I know there trying to run a business because my manager said that like 100 x when he was yelling at me but its just stupid. I was trying to help the guy and all big retail cares about is screwing someone over.
As others have stated, you can be fired for pretty much any reason, at any time, as most employment relationships are at-will by nature. The big question is whether the firing can be classified as "for cause" for unemployment claims purposes. That's a much more difficult question and the answer will likely vary from state to state, and I doubt there is one clear answer for everyone.

That said, I do think you need to reconsider exactly what you were asked and in what capacity you were being asked to answer. While you are employed by a Company, it is pretty much expected that you will act in the Company's best interest while on the clock. And who are you to tell a customer, otherwise qualified to get the Company's credit card, that he should not? In that respect, I can see how your boss would feel you were out of line telling the customer what you did. And imagine the spot it puts your boss in.... customer coming to him saying his own employee didn't recommend the card. I would think, while you're on the clock, you need to put your personal opinions aside and consider your first obligation as being to your employer... you owe it to that employer to act in the employer's best interest, so long as you aren't being asked to do anything illegal. And granting a customer credit certainly isn't illegal.

Off the clock, I see nothing wrong with giving your personal opinion - so long as people know it's your personal opinion and not that of an employee of the Company that is being expressed. Still, if it gets back to the boss that an employee said what you did, even off the clock, it could spell trouble.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:47 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,242,914 times
Quote:

Unfortunately there's no room for honesty here. You're acting on behalf of the company you work for and are paid by them. If your job description includes pushing the store credit card, then that's what you have to do. I work for an extremely well-known company and I have to be careful what I say about them to people, not only because I have a ton of insider information but because I wouldn't want my criticism of the company's services to get back to them. I like having a job and I'd like to keep it. We're all prostitutes for the companies that pay us.

Your boss can indeed fire you for not doing your job. Put your personal opinions aside and just do your job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products