Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 11:28 AM

323 posts, read 498,525 times

Advertisements

How often do I shop there? As little as possible. I used to like Walmart. Years ago, they had a huge selection. Where else can you go in the middle of the night and buy a vacuum cleaner and fishing worms? The kitchen dept was huge, what a selection of pots, pans, dishes, microwaves and toaster ovens.

The produce dept was and still is dismal. The clothes- they were always inexpensive. But now, all you can find there are XL and huge sizes. This fits the clientele I see there,

https://www.google.com/search?q=crea...w=1366&bih=667

but too big for me. And the taste in clothing-- who is the buyer for the regional stores? Its horrible. They remodeled and rearranged the store and now the selection of merchandise has gone down by about half. Its all Chinese. No wonder they have all our money. I accidentally stepped into a Target store the other day and thought for a second that I was in a nice clothing store. And I was! Walmart has gone way down hill in the last 5 years. At least I don't have to get all fixed up to go shopping at walmart. Everyone else there looks like hell. (Again, see the link).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 11:34 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,209,816 times
As often as I need to. Walmart is the great American success story, and most of the flack comes from leftists that just cannot stand a business that actually is profitable and succeeds.

Tales about selling only cheap, shoddy foreign made products is bunk, can find countless name brands there that would cost you far more in most other stores. I like saving money, even more so now that I am retired. If you are working, every time you shop in Walmart, you have, in effect, just received a raise.

If Walmart is such a bad place place to work, and treats it's help badly, why then are there no shortage of applications for job openings? This is not just since the recession, but was also back when times were good and unenplyment low.

Are there things about Walmart that I do not like? Yes there are, but they are minor. I like just plain saving money, and that overides any other issue. The howls that come from the leftist unions and other liberals are mostly made up nonsense. Tens of millions of Americans seem to agree, ignore them, and shop at Walmart.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:40 AM

323 posts, read 498,525 times
Here is another complaint I have, not limited to just walmart. Ladie's brassieres. The cup shape in every bra in every store is exactly the same, semi padded hemispherical, the American generic boob shape. What an insult.

Blackshoe, this is not about politics. Mine is based on direct shopping experience.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:07 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,209,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinghillbilly View Post
Blackshoe, this is not about politics. Mine is based on direct shopping experience.
So is mine. It is about saving money. A few earlier posts and most of the criticism about Walmart are political based, the old "Big bad evil corporation" nonsense, and it comes from the left.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:16 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,019,874 times
I am in Walmart every once in a while. I see many products that are sold elsewhere cheaper. I like to shop where I can get the most bang for my buck whenever possible.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:50 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,855,186 times
I go as little as I can, usually only when we need something after Target, Home Depot, or other places have closed for the night. We used to go quite often, and would drive 15+ miles to shop at a Wal-Mart in the surrounding towns before they actually expanded into Houston. Back then they were worth the drive. Good merchandise and good prices. But my big complaint is the long lines. It never fails, the lines are like 4 or 5 people deep and slow as molasses! I stood in one line for over 20 minutes one evening. If the dogs were not out of food, I would have left the store. Now that they have the self scan lines, it is a bit better, but I still don't go there that often anymore.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:52 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,103,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I ask because I absolutely despise Walmart. Evil corporation is an understatement. Anyway, I am lucky enough to live in a mid-sized city where there are plenty of other shopping options, even if it's just Target or Food Lion. I would always much rather give my money to a small mom and pop shop than to WM. I understand I guess if Walmart is pretty much the only game in town for ya, I know a lot of small towns are like that including my town in Arkansas.

Yeah. So. How often do you give them your money? Why do you do it? Is there nowhere else to shop? Or do you just like their conveniently "Always low prices" etc?
When I need plastic containers since Walmart usually has the plastic containers I like to use.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:09 PM

9,677 posts, read 9,971,995 times
I shop at Walmart and have a credit account through them , there is a Target store but the price is more and the credit account at target undercuts everyone and business that accept it and the discount it offers , plus the target stores do not have anything I am interested in ..... Then the mom a pop stores have all closed up years ago with the undercutting of the internet and all department stores , so if you have business which low income then it is best to not employ anyone as it will not last ..........Maybe people in India businesses now do not like Walmart stores at all......as it is closing down the small farmers

Old 07-11-2014, 03:12 PM

537 posts, read 1,238,373 times
I haven't shopped at Walmart since 2012. I moved and didn't live near one. Then again, I went to Walmart enough in the past to make up for my lifetime. My friend and I would go at three in the morning to people watch. Those were the days.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,784,942 times
Around 3X a year. It usually coincides with a visit to my parents and a need for toilet paper, bandaids, contact lens solution or body wash.

Target is my 'mart of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products