Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 12:03 PM

51,618 posts, read 25,681,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Corporations are responsible for some of the vast wealth that the US has accrued over time.
Actually, the vast wealth of the U.S. is a result of:

1) Natural resources. Timber, coal, oil. etc., which belong to all of us not just corporations.

2) Labor. The work ethic of the common laborers that built the railroads, mined the coal, drilled the oil, farmed the land...

Though corporations and the 1% who own and run them may have accrued vast wealth, they are not responsible for creating it. If corporations were responsible, surely they would be creating vast wealth in all sorts of other countries. Yet here we are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 12:55 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,223,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Actually, the vast wealth of the U.S. is a result of:

1) Natural resources. Timber, coal, oil. etc., which belong to all of us not just corporations.

2) Labor. The work ethic of the common laborers that built the railroads, mined the coal, drilled the oil, farmed the land...

Though corporations and the 1% who own and run them may have accrued vast wealth, they are not responsible for creating it. If corporations were responsible, surely they would be creating vast wealth in all sorts of other countries. Yet here we are.
And that is exactly why I said "some".

Yes, natural resources belong to all of us; however, not all of us are willing to do the refining, manufacturing, and do the other processes needed to convert raw materials into products. This is why we let companies and corporations handle it.

Also, who were the common laborers working for? Railroad, coal mining, and agriculture corporations. Without companies and corporations, what else would people do for work?

Other countries do not have strict labor laws, corporate tax, etc. This is why people who say that workers in other countries are "slaves" annoy me. Instead of blaming the company that they work for, why not blame the government of one of those countries? If they had the laws that the US has, then the options for companies to set up shop in places where they pay $1.00 or less a day would diminish. Manufacturing may come back to the United States as a result.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:29 PM

51,618 posts, read 25,681,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
And that is exactly why I said "some".

Yes, natural resources belong to all of us; however, not all of us are willing to do the refining, manufacturing, and do the other processes needed to convert raw materials into products. This is why we let companies and corporations handle it.

Also, who were the common laborers working for? Railroad, coal mining, and agriculture corporations. Without companies and corporations, what else would people do for work?
The folks who do the refining, manufacturing, etc. are the workers. Companies certainly organize these activities, and have taken the lion's share of the wealth. CEOs, for example, are making off like bandits these days with pay extraordinarily high compared to pay of ordinary workers.

CEO Pay in 2012 Was Extraordinarily High Relative to Typical Workers and Other High Earners | Economic Policy Institute

Many college students read Ayn Rand and imagine they are going to be part of that 1% and so defend the corporate role in "creating wealth."

I hate to break the news to you, but unless you are from an Ivy League family, you are likely to be one of the working stiffs.

But dare to dream.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:41 PM

15,534 posts, read 15,551,422 times
Never, if I can help it. I agree, I prefer mom-and-pop stores, but I'll even take a local chain first. The last time I bought something at Walmart was probably at least five years ago, because they had something I couldn't find anywhere else.

I think the statistic is, for every two jobs that Walmart creates, it destroys three.

Check this out:
The United States of Wal-Mart by John Dicker - Powell's Books

Old 07-12-2014, 02:53 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,454,751 times
I just got back from Walmart. I shop there just to tick other people, like the OP, off. Just kidding. I shop there because it has the cheapest prices for the stuff that I buy. I have 2 grocery stores nearby and besides loss leaders and local dairy products, Walmart is cheaper on all of the other items. I also don't own a car, so I have to shop somewhere within walking distance. So it's a matter of convenience, and I usually visit Walmart once or twice a week. I wouldn't say I enjoy the experience, and I understand the whole "evil corporation" thing, but I'm poor and have to go where the food is the cheapest. When Fareway opens up, I'll probably go there, but until then, it's back to Wally World. I wouldn't set foot in there if the local stores would bring their prices down.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:17 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,878,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Maybe you should post the link here if you think it would do any good.
Honestly? I don't believe it would do a lick of good. People who are Walmart haters will always be that way and it's okay by me. It's their choice and they can do as they please. I just wish they'd stop perpetuating all the lies and rumors about working there. But they won't do that either. And that's okay too. Like I say, we are busy enough we really don't miss the ones who refuse to shop there.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:38 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,296,770 times
I shop at Walmart for pet food and I get my prescriptions filled there. While many people do not shop at Walmart for many reasons, they hire my students and the senior citizens in our area, people who might not/probably would not be hired in other businesses. Walmart is in business to make money as is every corporation. It is easy to attack one company but I would suggest taking a look at many others. Most businesses are run pretty much the same.

We have very few mom and pop businesses where I live--just try to find a hardware store instead of Home Depot or Lowe's. I like doing business with mom and pop shops, but they just are not here.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:53 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,363,100 times
about four, five times a week.

the reason people hate ally world is, its the perfect business plan from a business point of view, its capaltism at its finest.

its not for the public, not for the employee, its for the share holders

Old 07-12-2014, 08:21 PM

384 posts, read 348,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
about four, five times a week.

the reason people hate ally world is, its the perfect business plan from a business point of view, its capaltism at its finest.

its not for the public, not for the employee, its for the share holders
If Walmart is the perfect business plan for shareholders, then it sucks to be a shareholder. The reality is that what you posted is complete nonsense. An average of 4% per share year over year gains is well below the market.... and far from perfect..even when you consider the 2.5% dividend.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:31 PM

13,111 posts, read 20,856,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
I go there once or twice a year if that. Only as a last resort. Have you walked into those places? I've been to so many around the world. They just make me feel so gross.
I agree with you on that! The stores just scream cheap low class garbage merchandise when you walk in and the shoppers, well, many of them scream the same thing. I wouldn't mind looking through the store just for the heck of it, but if I can't keep my lunch down at the sight of the shoppers, its just not worth it. I hate to say it but when people talk of neighborhoods you often hear them mention the "wrong side of the tracks", well that store is the retail equivalent. I have a bit more pride in myself to be seen with those folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products