U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:41 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,894,313 times

Advertisements

Harris Teeter, a decent grocery chain based near Charlotte, is almost always accurate with their prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 09:07 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,685,724 times
Even if I get home and notice a price difference on my receipt my next shopping trip I take in my receipt and explain the problem and almost always get a refund. Haven't done this at Wal-Mart yet. We'll see if and when it happens.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:11 PM

2,032 posts, read 5,080,061 times
Two of our grocery stores give you the item for free. I've had some major purchases refunded for incorrect pricing. I ALWAYS check before leaving the store. If I catch it at the register, I make them correct it. I probably have a nuisance reputation for this, but as a consumer it makes me crazy to have to do someone else's job for them.

Now, if the price is lower than I expected, so be it.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,770 times
I'm almost positive that price descrepancies are not a result of any sort of attempt to cheat customers, especially at stores that are part of a large, multi-state or nation-wide chain. Grocery stores typically carry a large number of items. At any given time, the price of most items wil be the same as it was yesterday and will be tomorrow, but there will also be a number of items (a few dozen up to several hundred) that are on sale or for some other reason are being sold at a price that is different than the items usually sell for. Even if you expect every store employee to be 100% competent, there is bound to be glitches that result in a descrepancy between the price indicated at the shelf, and the price the cashier tries to charge. When you consider that incompetence is rampant throughout the entire workforce, and that grocery stores aren't able to attract or retain the most competent workers (low wages=lower prices but less competent employees), its actually pretty impressive that they get it right as often as they do. Having said all that, though, I buy 35 - 50 items apporimately once per week, and not quite every time but more often than every other time I grocery shop, there is at least one item with a price descrepancy. I learned years ago, when I was a starving college student, to watch the prices as each item was rung up. I find it is still a good idea, now that I'm a starving college graduate.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:46 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,421,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwanttoleave1comment View Post
Even if you expect every store employee to be 100% competent, there is bound to be glitches that result in a descrepancy between the price indicated at the shelf, and the price the cashier tries to charge.
No... I do not expect EVERY store employee to be 100% competent.

But I DO expect the employee who enters the prices into the computer to be 100% competent... or pretty darn close to 100%.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:02 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,678,525 times
I'm a very carefull grocery shopper.

I do 90% of my grocery shopping at Walmart and never had that problem.

A couple times I THOUGHT they made a mistake, went back to the aisle and double checked. What had happened is a shopper had (lazily) put an item back on the shelf, but put it in the wrong place.

I, thus, grabbed an item that had an incorrect price because it was placed back in the wrong place.

I watch more carefull. There are a lot of inconsiderate, lazy, shoppers who will put a product back anyplace they please if they change their mind. Many times on ( or next to) the same ptoduct but a different size.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:44 PM

11,118 posts, read 14,791,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But I DO expect the employee who enters the prices into the computer to be 100% competent... or pretty darn close to 100%.
I oversee the pricing for my store. We get everyday prices coming from sources at corporate, regional, and district levels, not to mention the ad pricing.
Half the time I don't think the left hand knows what the right hand is doing at all those levels. There's probably not a week that goes by that I don't see some crazy pricing issue come up.
Ad prices that are higher than the regular price. Changing the price of nine flavors of something, but not the tenth. Putting some crazy price, like 1K for a carton of cigarettes. Or, forgetting to put a price in the computer at all.
I'm going to guess that the people putting those prices in the computer are just as incompetent as the rest of us, some days probably more so, if what I see is anything to go by.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,078,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I don’t know how many others have noticed the same thing but “every time” I shop at WalMart (and it’s not often) the price at the cash register and checkout is different then the price on the shelf. This happens every time I’m there getting several items at least one of those items will be different by 5~20 cents more. Never is the price lower at the checkout ~ always higher.

I’ve noticed this problem of shelf price and checkout price difference only one other time that wasn’t a WalMart. It has forced me when going there to write down all the shelf prices before going to the register just to make sure I’m not being taken for extra money. I try and stay away from WalMart all together, but there are some occasions when it’s the only choice.
Basically its only when I look at the wrong price sticker mostly. But every once in a while the computer will be either lower or highwer than marked. I know that many do not look at the shlf price description which is important I have found at any store.Grocery stores is where i find the most mistakes in their reader price in the computer.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:52 AM

24,314 posts, read 33,557,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I'm a very carefull grocery shopper.

I do 90% of my grocery shopping at Walmart and never had that problem.

A couple times I THOUGHT they made a mistake, went back to the aisle and double checked. What had happened is a shopper had (lazily) put an item back on the shelf, but put it in the wrong place.

I, thus, grabbed an item that had an incorrect price because it was placed back in the wrong place.

I watch more carefull. There are a lot of inconsiderate, lazy, shoppers who will put a product back anyplace they please if they change their mind. Many times on ( or next to) the same ptoduct but a different size.
I haven't found that to be the case. At Wal-Marts I have been to, often items have no price tag at all or at least none that I can find. I don't think these items were placed randomly back on the shelf by shoppers because they look like they should be there...20 packages of something vs 1, for example.

Also the Wal-Marts near me are TERRIBLE for shelf vs scanner price discrepancies. I also tend to jot down prices and will argue with the cashier if something comes up too high...which it almost always does. Target is also terrible for this. Happens at Kroger from time to time too, and Tom Thumb.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:27 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,678,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I haven't found that to be the case. At Wal-Marts I have been to, often items have no price tag at all or at least none that I can find. I don't think these items were placed randomly back on the shelf by shoppers because they look like they should be there...20 packages of something vs 1, for example.

Also the Wal-Marts near me are TERRIBLE for shelf vs scanner price discrepancies. I also tend to jot down prices and will argue with the cashier if something comes up too high...which it almost always does. Target is also terrible for this. Happens at Kroger from time to time too, and Tom Thumb.

Maybe you should move from Dallas to central Minnesota.
Your shopping problems would be solved .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products