U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:41 PM

11,123 posts, read 24,179,017 times
Old thread, but pertinent. We got a four year extended warranty (on top of a one year manufacturer warranty) on our $1200 refrigerator. I got it primarily for the ice-maker, but just last week, about 6 months before the end of the warranty period, there was a leak in the anti-sweat coil that goes around the doors from the condenser. It discharged the refrigerant and that caused the compressor to fail. It was unrepairable, and even had it been something repairable, just replacing the compressor would have been close to $800. We literally are getting our money back after 4.5 years of use. That warranty cost about $110 and ended up saving us about $1100.

We have had TWO over the stove microwaves fail under warranty (the steam and heat from heavy cooking and canning damages them). Haven't paid a penny in repairs.

That said, I did NOT get a warranty on our basic designed freezer. The design was simple and solid, with no major electronic components.

You DO have to read the fine print. Some warranties are basically worthless because of all the wiggle words in the contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:50 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,126,903 times
Most extended warranties are a waste of money. That's why so many places sell them. 100% profit to them. They take full advantage of modern day consumers wanting a safety net for everything.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 AM

14,788 posts, read 12,099,011 times
I never buy extended warranties at retail outlets because my major appliances are covered by my home warranty and other items are covered either by the manufacturer or even the credit card I bought them with.

I recently bought a printer at a local Office Max, then returned it unopened 2 days later because 2 days later I was still kind of pissed at their crappy return policy (15% restocking fee even if the product was defective) and the fact that I had to say "no" to the extended warranty pitch about 7-8 times.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:47 PM

2,712 posts, read 1,327,849 times
BEWARE of BEST BUY and their extended warranty
(or as I learned the hard way, do not buy computers from them period)
The EXTENDED WARRANTY has so many fine prints exceptions cavets etc that buying it is a waste of money
Case in point, I bought a new Lenovo computer from them, and right out of the box, it never worked . It is currently being shipped in to Lenovo for repairs.
Along the way I tried to get Best Buy to fix it but they refused saying it "might be" a different problem for which I did nto purchase a specific warranty.

So here's how Best Buy works: Buy a computer fro $400
Since it may not work, buy an additional $400 worht or warranties, plus 100 for us to break it in and back it up and another 100 for our virus removal and uprdate. Total cost of that 400 computer: $1000
You can skip buying the arranty but is it does not work, too bad. We don't make good on what we sell here.
Last time I will ever buy a computer from them. From now on I will go straight to the manufacturer's website.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:39 PM

3,121 posts, read 1,548,269 times
I think on fridge,washer,dryer (I buy from HD or Lowes) you can't beat the extended warranty. I always get my money back, plus. The cost is 89 dollars and gives you 5 years total coverage. I got the dishwasher fixed 4 times, stove glass top replaced, washer 2 times, fridge one time.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:56 PM

877 posts, read 722,749 times
i dont think they are a good buy - when anyone asks if i am interested in a warranty on an item under 100.00 i just give them a weird look - i dont even reply - anything above 100.00 i do give the courtsey of a reply which is no thank you -

Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 PM

19,617 posts, read 13,819,072 times
I also think they are a good buy on major appliances and a bad buy on almost everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products