U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 03:25 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,953,059 times

Advertisements

I don't do any of the warehouse stores because they aren't practical for someone who lives alone. And I hate Aldi. It's too far away, too smelly, and too inconsistent.

I shop mostly at Harris Teeter. In addition to sales (the buy 2 get 3 free are great!) they have member coupons that load directly into the app (this week there was a coupon for a free yogurt that I've been wanting to try). They also double coupons up to $0.99. Occasionally they'll triple coupons, and this week they have Super Doubles, where they will double coupons up to $2.00. I save A LOT of money that way, usually on paper products, cleaners, health & beauty, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 05:50 PM

172 posts, read 147,386 times
I think it is totally worth if for cleaning, H&B, personal care. I figure I save money on those things, I have more for food that usually do not have coupons. I saved a ton on diapers and wipes when my daughter was a baby. I pay almost nothing for toothpaste, shampoo/conditioner, body wash, soap, toothbrushes, deodorant, feminine products, razors, laundry detergent, medicines, etc.

I took advantage of Harris Teeter's super doubles this week and spent $20, saved $60. The only food item I bought were those applesauce go-go packs for my daughter's lunch. 12 pouches for $0? Don't mind if I do!

Old 08-17-2014, 05:58 AM

20,521 posts, read 20,511,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
In the olden days I could always count on at least 15% off my total bill when I used coupons. But I rarely use them now for all the stated reasons.
usually only for processed foods
you have to buy too many of the item or screwy combinations to use the coupon
they don't last even a week most of the time
if I buy when it is on sale-and almost everything will eventually go on sale- I don't have to bother with coupons
Like you, way back when, I could count of at least 30% savings with almost every trip. That was also when double coupons were standard with some stores.
I now pay $2 for the Sunday paper for the NY Times crossword and hope there are enough coupons to at least cover the $2 (They often don't but I'm also no longer shopping for a family with kids and pets, either)

Old 08-24-2014, 06:25 AM

73,233 posts, read 85,430,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
I don't do any of the warehouse stores because they aren't practical for someone who lives alone. And I hate Aldi. It's too far away, too smelly, and too inconsistent.

I shop mostly at Harris Teeter. In addition to sales (the buy 2 get 3 free are great!) they have member coupons that load directly into the app (this week there was a coupon for a free yogurt that I've been wanting to try). They also double coupons up to $0.99. Occasionally they'll triple coupons, and this week they have Super Doubles, where they will double coupons up to $2.00. I save A LOT of money that way, usually on paper products, cleaners, health & beauty, etc.
!!

Too bad your Aldis is so far away and smelly. Ours used to have a little odor, but not bad. Yes, ours too, is a bit away, so we do not go weekly, but whenever we are heading that direction. I have almost become addicted to the place. So many things are so much less expensive and every bit as good.

It sounds like you have coupons worth a lot more than we do. If I could get triples I would be thrilled or even doubles up to .99 but the best we get is double up to .50. I have never heard of any store that offers buy 2, get 3 free or even any coupon like that. WOW!

Old 08-24-2014, 06:28 AM

73,233 posts, read 85,430,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Like you, way back when, I could count of at least 30% savings with almost every trip. That was also when double coupons were standard with some stores.
I now pay $2 for the Sunday paper for the NY Times crossword and hope there are enough coupons to at least cover the $2 (They often don't but I'm also no longer shopping for a family with kids and pets, either)
I can remember when I was still a reservations agent and we sat in cubicles of 4: we would all bring in our Sunday ads and pass them around while between calls. We would spend time clipping them. I am sure I saved at least 25% if not more and there were so many, not just shampoo, make up, tooth paste etc. Those days are long gone.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:21 AM

40,069 posts, read 48,956,282 times
I do the grocery shopping and I use the few coupons that are available for what I want. Even though it only adds up to a few dollars I feel it pays for my gas trip to the store and back.
I agree that the values have disappeared. In too many cases you have to buy 2 or 3 of the same product to use the coupons. When you're single or a retired couple you can't always use that much at one time. And the variety of items with coupons has shrunk. Most today are for personal products or vitamins that I don't need.
I still remember the days of getting green or gold stamps with your purchases.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 703 times
It is absolutely worth the time and effort to use coupons if you plan out your shopping trips. The trick is to match weekly sales with the coupons that are available. I have gone from spending $300.00 a week to spending around $80.00 a week on groceries since I started couponing. It has allowed us more financial freedom to use our money the way we want!

Old 09-24-2014, 09:07 AM

67 posts, read 50,331 times
Yes, no doubt coupons are really useful to save money on groceries items. I used to buy lot of stuff from WalMart, sears, overstock by using their printable & online coupon codes to save money. CouponPakr.com, RetailMeNot.com, Coupons, Offers.com is one of best website's to find latest discount & promotional codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or