Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 06:37 PM

3,447 posts, read 3,374,590 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I still like clipping coupons and keeping them, till I get around to it. The big problem when I do that(sadly), is that too often I forget I have the coupon and when I finally remember I still have it, the coupon will have already expired.

Will give kudos to Chick-Fil-A, since that seems like the only place I ever recall that did still accept a coupon I had, after it expired! I still remember too well that a few years back when I forgot about a McDonald's coupon I had that expired, how the manager was such a grouch to me about the fact I had a coupon that expired ONLY a day ago, and said 'there's nothing I can do'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 06:52 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
No kidding, I've watched that TLC show extreme couponers and most of the stuff they fill their carts with is so bad for you, things like cases of Diet Coke, Fruit Loops, HB helper.

To me it's not worth it, the few dollars you save now will be negated down the road if you become obese, or develop diabetes or high blood pressure due to the medical costs associated with those health problems.

Finding coupons for things like trash bags, dish soap, or toilet paper is fine though.
Case in point - Honey Boo Boo show. The mother is a couponer and many of their rooms' walls are filled with a cache of couponed junk food and the entire family is morbidly obese, some with diabetes.

It's just not healthy.

Coupons are usually for the most over priced name brands. You don't have to buy generic to beat coupon prices. There is usually at least one or two other name brands of the exact same products that can be purchased for the same price or cheaper than the couponed version.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post

Seeing that show I've have to wonder how much of the food gets used before it expires???
I bet most of those people resell that free food they get to friends and family for profit.

I might go through 2 small ketchup containers in my house in 1 year. What are these people doing with 100 bottles of ketchup with "Best by" dates?

Old 08-14-2014, 07:01 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,343,499 times
Not really food coupons (I agree with everyone else, they are usually for crap that I don't buy, or buy 3, get 1 free)

I tend to use them for cleaning and drug store type stuff.

Those coupon people on TV are scary. I would love to see them at a grocery store though, with their 20 carts full of slim jims and hamburger helper or whatever LOL. I always feel SO bad for the cashiers. Who the hell wants to ring all that stuff up? And the registers always break LOL. Just wacky.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Did all our shopping yesterday and didn't use a coupon. If we had stopped at our local store I would have used the one l have for eggs and one for cottage cheese, but we didn't. I also found a few items cheaper at Aldi's than at Sam's. it seems we have to watch prices everywhere anymore. We can't just assume we know the best places to save money.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:59 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
I used some yesterday.. saved £6 thanks to them!

Old 08-16-2014, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
I bet most of those people resell that free food they get to friends and family for profit.

I might go through 2 small ketchup containers in my house in 1 year. What are these people doing with 100 bottles of ketchup with "Best by" dates?
I don't think we go through more than 1 bottle a year. even when the kids were home we didn't.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
In the olden days I could always count on at least 15% off my total bill when I used coupons. But I rarely use them now for all the stated reasons.
usually only for processed foods
you have to buy too many of the item or screwy combinations to use the coupon
they don't last even a week most of the time
if I buy when it is on sale-and almost everything will eventually go on sale- I don't have to bother with coupons

Old 08-16-2014, 01:00 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
First of all, it doesn't take much "effort" to clip a coupon. If I'm going to buy something, and see a coupon for it, why wouldn't I use it?

Old 08-16-2014, 01:33 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,395 times
Fine if it works for what you want -- I seldom buy anything but the basic ingredients for stuff and there's just not coupons for meat, produce, milk, eggs, flour, sugar etc except when a stores give out a coupon for "$1 off your next produce purchase". Paper goods can usually find something cheaper than the big brands even with the coupon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products