Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 11:32 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times

Advertisements

We have an Ikea here in town. I enjoy going there. That being said, when we first moved into our new house just over 2 years ago, we had moved from a very small 3/2 to a huge 4/3.5 with 2 1/2 times the SQ footage. Most of our furniture and accessories were old, worn out. We sold/donated most of them so we would not have to move them. We kept the sofa and love seat, end tables lamp, dining table (Small, but a family heirloom almost 100 years old) our dressers (A mix match antique set of mostly family hand me downs)
We started going to IKEA nad buying things like dressers for the kids rooms, beds, dishes, flatware, cookware.
Now, we are looking to upgrade the sofa and loveseat (which need upgrading) They originally came from my least favorite place in the world, Rooms to Go, the first and last time I ever bought from them. I am glad they lasted this long, and we are looking to jump up to nicer quality furniture which will not come from any place so far listed.
The selection is good at Ikea, but the dresser we bought for my oldest son is having issues. THe flimsy cardboards like bottoms tend to pop out, and while the item was made with wood and not engineered particle glue polymer board, the durability of it is not that great. Perhaps some of Ikeas furniture is better ?

I like the food court they have there as well. On Monday mornings they serve free breakfast.

The downside, besides the quality of the one dresser, if the size of the store, no getting in and out in 10 minutes. The king size metal bed we purchased has been good, the rest of the furniture (not particle board)

But as for quality, I found none of the higher end items to be specifically to my liking more than say Havertys, Bassett, or Ethan Allen or even some of the local indy furniture stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 04:23 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
We like IKEA... but you really have to see their things in person, try them out.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:31 PM

157 posts, read 370,423 times
I like Ikea for cheap, temporary furniture. I usually buy stuff there when I know it will take quite a bit of time to find what I really want.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
At Ikea, you get what you pay for. Seriously.

A few pieces there are a GREAT deal. Others? Eh...I'd save my pennies for "real" furniture if I were you. JMHO.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:48 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,202 times
I like IKEA, love to browse there. I haven't bought much furniture from there, just other small items you can carry out the door in your arms. I love their small desk lamps.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:11 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Their style seems too modern for my liking....and it all looks like dorm room furniture to me.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:51 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
I like some of the stuff available for sale at Ikea but actually going there to buy things is extremely unpleasant. I feel like I'm being herded around and it's always so crowded and difficult to just get through since people tend to stop and go in the aisles. I know the short cuts but even with that it's still a maze. The carts are hard to push as they lean towards the side instead of going straight ahead. I dislike that they take your shopping bag at checkout and just expect you to carry anything that was in it to your car in your arms. I find it to be the most annoying and obnoxious shopping experience imaginable. Every time I go I swear it will be the last time but then a year laterI forget just how horrible it is and I try again. It never gets better.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:02 PM

389 posts, read 916,616 times
We use IKEA but only for furniture items that we know will hold up (dining table and chairs) or for smaller items (lamps, textiles, kitchen items). I know a number of people who have bought kitchen cabinets from them, but I do wonder if they have different levels of qualify as I have not heard of the drawers or cabinet doors having issues from poor quality. Personally, I would rather have my husband build a dresser than buy one from any furniture store because I have noticed a lack of craftsmanship (cheap materials). These just wouldn't hold up with daily opening and closing.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:29 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I like some of the stuff available for sale at Ikea but actually going there to buy things is extremely unpleasant. I feel like I'm being herded around and it's always so crowded and difficult to just get through since people tend to stop and go in the aisles. I know the short cuts but even with that it's still a maze. The carts are hard to push as they lean towards the side instead of going straight ahead. I dislike that they take your shopping bag at checkout and just expect you to carry anything that was in it to your car in your arms. I find it to be the most annoying and obnoxious shopping experience imaginable. Every time I go I swear it will be the last time but then a year laterI forget just how horrible it is and I try again. It never gets better.
I couldn't agree more. I didn't even know there were shortcuts in that rat's maze they call a store. I've been to the IKEA store here in Houston exactly three times, and I've lived here 16 years. Each time, I went because I was looking specifically for one piece of furniture that was a much better price than it was anywhere else. There is only one narrow aisle for the whole city of Houston to maneuver in, and it seems that many customers just stand there, sexting on their iPhones in the middle of it, while I'm trying to get the heck out with my one thing I want to buy. I am always nervous about the possibility of a fire in that store, and I'm not usually concerned about things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products