U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 08:10 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,083,542 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I went mattress shopping, determined not to let a pushy salesman push me into a quick sale, but darn it all somehow it happened to me anyway.

By this morning I had deep misgivings and anxiety about the whole thing, so I have just called the warehouse (delivery was scheduled for this afternoon) and canceled the delivery. They said they would "let the store know". But of course, I will be calling the store myself to have my credit card payment reversed.

Has anyone ever done this, canceled a big ticket purchase prior to delivery? Did you run into much hassle over getting the refund to your credit card? Should I call my CC company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 03:57 PM

40,083 posts, read 48,999,814 times
If you haven't received it and/or signed for it then you should get a refund/credit to your CC. They probably will hassle you and if they do tell them you're calling the CC company to stop the charges. Then do it anyway.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:49 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,982,964 times
As wit-nit indicated, you should be able to get out of it fairly easily. The mattress store should accommodate you (even if it takes some discussing) just out of providing good customer service.

Backing out of a deal like this is just bad behavior/business. It's best to not make a deal if you can't keep it.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:53 AM

35,108 posts, read 41,325,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Yesterday I went mattress shopping, determined not to let a pushy salesman push me into a quick sale, but darn it all somehow it happened to me anyway.

By this morning I had deep misgivings and anxiety about the whole thing, so I have just called the warehouse (delivery was scheduled for this afternoon) and canceled the delivery. They said they would "let the store know". But of course, I will be calling the store myself to have my credit card payment reversed.

Has anyone ever done this, canceled a big ticket purchase prior to delivery? Did you run into much hassle over getting the refund to your credit card? Should I call my CC company?
You can cancel the purchase up until the time the item is set up in your home (If I remember correctly)
Just call the store as soon as they open and tell them you do not want the mattress.
If they tell you it is on the way already tell them you are going to refuse delivery and you expect a refund to your credit card by the end of this week or you will pursue necessary actions to get the charges reversed via the credit card company.

Next time take a few visits to the stores before you purchase, it took us 6 visits and laying on about 30 mattresses before we found the one we really liked.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:09 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,083,542 times
Thanks for your replies. As mentioned in the first post I had already canceled the delivery at the warehouse level.

When the store opened I called to let them know. The salesman tried to talk me into keeping the charge on my card while I "shopped around" to "lock in the unbelievably low price" he had given me on the original purchase. After 10 minutes of him trying to talk me out of my refund he finally, graciously, agreed.

I actually liked the mattress quite a lot. My concern was the hard-sell. I was suspicious of the way, after I hesitated over the "best he could do" for a price of a very expensive mattress, suddenly could be tacked onto a wholesale (for a hotel) order, giving me a better price, and then, when I was still hesitating, miraculously it turned out there was "one left in overstock" for an even better price.

I know there is a practice of delivering a poor quality cheap mattresses in place of what was actually chosen at the store, and the more I thought about the whole transaction afterward, the more I suspected that may have been the intent. I've been burned once before on a mattress purchase and it was a monumental headache. So I canceled it.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:34 PM

5,444 posts, read 5,028,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Thanks for your replies. As mentioned in the first post I had already canceled the delivery at the warehouse level.

When the store opened I called to let them know. The salesman tried to talk me into keeping the charge on my card while I "shopped around" to "lock in the unbelievably low price" he had given me on the original purchase. After 10 minutes of him trying to talk me out of my refund he finally, graciously, agreed.

I actually liked the mattress quite a lot. My concern was the hard-sell. I was suspicious of the way, after I hesitated over the "best he could do" for a price of a very expensive mattress, suddenly could be tacked onto a wholesale (for a hotel) order, giving me a better price, and then, when I was still hesitating, miraculously it turned out there was "one left in overstock" for an even better price.

I know there is a practice of delivering a poor quality cheap mattresses in place of what was actually chosen at the store, and the more I thought about the whole transaction afterward, the more I suspected that may have been the intent. I've been burned once before on a mattress purchase and it was a monumental headache. So I canceled it.
welcome to the world of commission sales. You will hear these tactics everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or