U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 AM

464 posts, read 534,804 times

Advertisements

We are on our 2nd mattress set in six months. Still waking up with sore backs (have always had this issue, but worse since the new mattresses, especially the first ULTRA firm one).

Both these mattresses and all previous mattresses in our 40+ years of marriage have been the standard coil spring construction. We never buy the cheapest, never the most expensive....middle of the road price range.

In reading reviews, it now seems most people prefer Memory Foam construction.

We're about ready to try another mattress set.

Anyone one out there with bad backs, old hips (we're both in our early 60s) that own a mattress they really like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 09:38 AM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
I have a bad back. I used to wake up most mornings with my lower back frozen up, or very stiff. We bought this mattress from Walmart almost three years ago, and it's helped tremendously. It's VERY comfortable, doesn't overheat (common complaint with memory foam) and I can actually get up in the morning without having to make a production out of it because of my back.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,844 posts, read 56,221,985 times
Yes, same ages (61 & 62) and we have been really happy with ours for 3 years so far. It's a Serta pillow-top, but has the pillow on the bottom also so we can turn it over every few weeks and reduce the wear. I think it was about $1,000
with the box springs.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:11 PM

19,111 posts, read 19,970,850 times
Just got a new Sleep Number Bed about a month ago and we have never slept better. Excellent customer service.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:53 PM

40,069 posts, read 48,956,282 times
We have a Serta IQ Memory Foam mattress with medium hardness and love it. Both of us have bad backs and the past 5 years with it has been a fantastic experience for sleeping.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:32 PM

192 posts, read 201,376 times
2 months on Serta Vantage Plush. I LOVE it! Best mattress I've ever had.

iSeries Vantage Plush (formerly Applause Plush)

Consumer Reports rated last years model (applause plush) as #1. Sam's Club just had applause on sale so you may be able to find an applause if you want to spend less.

I can't remember what they changed for this year but the price wasn't much more and I felt better dealing with the mattress store than Sam's in case I hated it.

They also sell a firm in the same line.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:09 AM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Just got a new Sleep Number Bed about a month ago and we have never slept better. Excellent customer service.
x2 on the Sleep Number. Expensive but worth it, nothing beats being able to adjust firmness for each person, and even for yourself. I've had lifelong back issues so usually keep a firm bed. The back issues turned into sciatica a year ago. Had to drop the firmness significantly for comfort. Can't do that with a standard mattress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or