U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 09:18 AM

12,432 posts, read 10,896,002 times

Advertisements

What would you do in this situation?

Returning a package to FedEx using a prepaid shipping label. Walk in and say, Hi just dropping off. They respond, what's in the package? Shoes. Oh, sorry they can't be loose in the box, it's an insurance issue. Please pack it tighter and return. Why did you need to know what's in the box if you can't ship it regardless?

The shoes were rattling in the shoe box ever so slightly not in the box the shoe box was in. Opened the box, stuff paper in the actual shoe box repacked. Went back and handed him package. Sorry, the box is damaged, can't use it for insurance reasons. Why didn't you tell me this before? I didn't see it before you must have just done it when you repackaged it. Still calm.

Ok, ridiculous but go next door to WalMart and buy a box, repack tightly and return to FedEx. Sorry, the box is too big and heavy for the shipping label can't accept it. The label has a size and weight attached to it and this exceeds. Why didn't you tell me this before? Them - I thought it was common sense.

What would you have done in this situation? And why did they need to know what's in the box if you can't ship it regardless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 09:22 AM

35,108 posts, read 41,288,800 times
I have never been asked what specifically is in the box but I have been asked if it is anything flammable, hazardous, etc.
As far as the box goes, they should take whatever you hand them and charge accordingly.
The damaged box, that is ridiculous, they handle damaged boxes all the time.
Next time, take it to your local office supply shop that has FedEx or UPS delivery and drop it there.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:36 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,508,689 times
They're being a PITA because they didn't sell you the postage. Ask for a supervisor.

Easy way, tag a FedEx driver and just hand it to them, they cheerfully accept parcels. The Air delivery ones will not accept ground shipments and vice versa.

Be careful where you drop the parcel, i.e. Staples will not accept ground shipments and if you leave it there and nobody catches it it will be in limbo for a week until they return it to Staples, and there won't be a way to notify you, only the shipper on the shipper's account.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:32 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
Drop it off at a different FedEx store, and after it's delivered, write a letter to the owner of that store as well as the head of their franchise division explaining what happened.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:01 AM

11,121 posts, read 14,796,603 times
The first one was phrased a little oddly, but probably quicker than going through the whole list of junk that has shipping restrictions to find out if you had a restricted item in the box (packages aren't supposed to rattle either)
The other two, well that's it's fairly standard practice and they probably thought you were aware of these things already. Possibly they could have been nicer about it, but then again you could have done a little homework before stuffing things in a box.

They don't want to accept damaged boxes on insured mdse because if the mdse inside the box is damaged they are liable for it. No, they are not supposed to take damaged boxes, if you receive a damaged box it's very likely it was damaged in transit. The drivers we get will refuse to take packages from us if the box is damaged. We are required to inspect all contents of boxes received damaged in the presence of the drivers so that claims can be filed against the shipping company if the mdse inside is damaged.
Shipping charges are by weight and size, so if you have a pre-printed label that specifies a limit they would be responsible for any overage on shipping.

If you aren't familiar with how to ship stuff a lot of shipping companies, including FedEx and USPS, have online guides. There are a lot of do's and don'ts to follow.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:33 PM

18,530 posts, read 55,444,914 times
Short answer - report the clerk to Fedex. Some clerks get bored and passive-aggressive and enjoy the game.

If I had the time, I would mess with a clerk like that.

"What's in the box?"

"Dead rattlesnakes"

"No, seriously?"

"Baby rattles."

Then I would watch his head spin around.

I used to have to do a LOT of shipping. I invested in a few rolls of specially printed security tape that instructed the recipient to refuse the shipment if it was damaged. For whatever reason, that stopped a tremendous amount of clerk "power over the customer" nonsense. Maybe they were too focused on how to open the packages.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:58 PM

12,432 posts, read 10,896,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The first one was phrased a little oddly, but probably quicker than going through the whole list of junk that has shipping restrictions to find out if you had a restricted item in the box (packages aren't supposed to rattle either)
The other two, well that's it's fairly standard practice and they probably thought you were aware of these things already. Possibly they could have been nicer about it, but then again you could have done a little homework before stuffing things in a box.

They don't want to accept damaged boxes on insured mdse because if the mdse inside the box is damaged they are liable for it. No, they are not supposed to take damaged boxes, if you receive a damaged box it's very likely it was damaged in transit. The drivers we get will refuse to take packages from us if the box is damaged. We are required to inspect all contents of boxes received damaged in the presence of the drivers so that claims can be filed against the shipping company if the mdse inside is damaged.
Shipping charges are by weight and size, so if you have a pre-printed label that specifies a limit they would be responsible for any overage on shipping.

If you aren't familiar with how to ship stuff a lot of shipping companies, including FedEx and USPS, have online guides. There are a lot of do's and don'ts to follow.
I've been shipping things with FedEx, UPS and USPS for over a decade and never once was questioned on rattling, damaged boxes or boxes being the wrong size. This guy was flat out messing with me.

The rattle was shoes in a shoe box, moving maybe 1/2". The damage was a corner flattened a bit. The box was 1-2" wider. A friend who works at UPS said they'd accept anything close to what is listed on the label as long as it wasn't extremely different. This guy just was an ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products