U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-29-2014, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
47,084 posts, read 37,886,617 times
Reputation: 66912

Advertisements

Recently we moved, and so I set about transferring utilities and getting internet/TV/etc hooked up. We chose SuddenLink as our internet provider and I contacted them and scheduled an appointment.

A few days after we moved, I got a call and the caller said, "I'm calling to confirm your internet order." Well - I HAD ordered internet service from SuddenLink so of course I thought I was talking with them. I said, "Yep, I'll be here Tuesday morning!" The caller said, "Well, you don't have to be there - we're going to send you the modem and we'll come out and run the cable and there's no need for you to even be there." Interesting. I didn't much like that idea to be honest with you because I prefer for my internet provider to just hook everything up, but OK. Welcome to the 21st century, I thought.

Anyway, the next day, I got a call from SuddenLink, confirming our appointment for Tuesday morning. I said, "I just talked with someone yesterday - they said I didn't have to be here." The SuddenLink rep was confused. He said, "I don't see where anyone talked with you yesterday...and yes, you do need to be home." Hmmm - OK. I preferred that anyway. This was on a Friday or Saturday.

Anyway, later that day, I received a box in the mail. All I could see on the box was the word "Link" because the first part was covered by the mailing label. Naturally, I assumed this was something from SuddenLink.

Tuesday, SuddenLink showed up and started hooking things up. I said, "I got your package the other day - I guess it's the modem." The techs were really confused by this and said, "We don't mail modems out - we bring them with us. Let's take a look at it."

We opened the box, and it was a CENTURYLINK modem. The SuddenLink guys said, "Did you order internet service from CenturyLink?" "No," I said, "I've never even heard of CenturyLink." We went outside and my side yard was filled with little plastic flags that said CenturyLink on them - this is where CenturyLink had planned to dig in my yard and bury their cable!

I was not a happy camper about this. I immediately called CenturyLink and told them I had not placed this order, and I wanted to return the modem (which was a hassle, by the way, that I didn't ask for) and that they did not have permission to come onto my property or dig in my yard. Get this - apparently I'm not the first person to return an unsolicited modem - because there was a mailing label already inside it just for that purpose!

Anyway, I returned the modem to them and they never came into my yard to bury any sort of cable. Foolish me - I thought that was the end of it!

But no - a month later (you guessed it) WE GOT A BILL from them for internet service! It was under my husband's name - but it was a shortened version of his name, which he doesn't go by and none of our bills are ever addressed that way. He works out of town so I called and at first they wouldn't even talk to me because it wasn't in my name - and then they said, "Well, we can talk with you if you can verify your husband's social security number with us." "WHAT?" I said. "You have his SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ON FILE?" "Yes," they said, "And you need to verify it with us."

Oh, hell no.

Long story short, I went up the ladder a few steps and finally got someone who assured me that they would cancel our service. WHAT SERVICE? I fought that and asked how on earth we could even HAVE service without a cable or a modem, so she then said she would cancel our ORDER. WHAT ORDER????? We never placed an order! Finally she said she would take care of it - we didn't owe any money - and we shouldn't receive any more bills.

(You guessed it) We received another bill. Now it was up to THREE MONTHS of service, PLUS LATE FEES. So when I called and pitched a wild eyed fit, finally someone told me that this order had been submitted BY A THIRD PARTY - either DirecTV or one of our utility companies. I told them that if we received another bill from them, the next contact would be from our attorney. I also told them that if any of this shows up on our credit report, we will take legal action against them.

I find all of this pretty disturbing. Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2014, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Des Moines Metro
5,099 posts, read 6,264,896 times
Reputation: 9624
Yes, I'm in the process of canceling my service with them. They aren't taking "no" for an answer.

I'm sure there are some good people who work there, but I have yet to deal with any of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
14,038 posts, read 25,763,312 times
Reputation: 26921
Wrong on all levels. I would make them write me a letter stating this was not my fault and was done by an unauthorized third party. Then I would check my credit and make sure I was in the clear about 6 months later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
47,084 posts, read 37,886,617 times
Reputation: 66912
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Wrong on all levels. I would make them write me a letter stating this was not my fault and was done by an unauthorized third party. Then I would check my credit and make sure I was in the clear about 6 months later.
You are not kidding! If this is on either of our credit reports the fur is going to fly. Both our scores are over 800 and we've worked hard to keep them that high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
47,084 posts, read 37,886,617 times
Reputation: 66912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yes, I'm in the process of canceling my service with them. They aren't taking "no" for an answer.

I'm sure there are some good people who work there, but I have yet to deal with any of them.
Everyone I've talked to has been really nice and courteous - and yet the mess is still there. I absolutely could not BELIEVE it when I got that bill the other day!

When the guy told me "Ok, it's all taken care of - you don't owe us any money and I've cancelled everything," I said, "You know, I love it when you say that, but you do realize that you're the third person at CenturyLink who has told me this, right?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
14,038 posts, read 25,763,312 times
Reputation: 26921
And BTW.... If this hasn't gone away for real here's how you fix it. File a PUC(Public Utility Commission) complaint. Guaranteed to get their attention!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2014, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
47,084 posts, read 37,886,617 times
Reputation: 66912
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
And BTW.... If this hasn't gone away for real here's how you fix it. File a PUC(Public Utility Commission) complaint. Guaranteed to get their attention!
Hey, THANKS - will do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 05:58 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,515 posts, read 20,507,774 times
Reputation: 24357
CenturyLink has an online live chat. Call once more, get the confirmation that all is cancelled and save the chat.
You then have it "in writing"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
47,084 posts, read 37,886,617 times
Reputation: 66912
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
CenturyLink has an online live chat. Call once more, get the confirmation that all is cancelled and save the chat.
You then have it "in writing"
Good idea - if I get another bill I will CERTAINLY do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2014, 02:21 PM
 
Location: SW Florida
10,095 posts, read 7,357,278 times
Reputation: 15180
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Recently we moved, and so I set about transferring utilities and getting internet/TV/etc hooked up. We chose SuddenLink as our internet provider and I contacted them and scheduled an appointment.

A few days after we moved, I got a call and the caller said, "I'm calling to confirm your internet order." Well - I HAD ordered internet service from SuddenLink so of course I thought I was talking with them. I said, "Yep, I'll be here Tuesday morning!" The caller said, "Well, you don't have to be there - we're going to send you the modem and we'll come out and run the cable and there's no need for you to even be there." Interesting. I didn't much like that idea to be honest with you because I prefer for my internet provider to just hook everything up, but OK. Welcome to the 21st century, I thought.

Anyway, the next day, I got a call from SuddenLink, confirming our appointment for Tuesday morning. I said, "I just talked with someone yesterday - they said I didn't have to be here." The SuddenLink rep was confused. He said, "I don't see where anyone talked with you yesterday...and yes, you do need to be home." Hmmm - OK. I preferred that anyway. This was on a Friday or Saturday.

Anyway, later that day, I received a box in the mail. All I could see on the box was the word "Link" because the first part was covered by the mailing label. Naturally, I assumed this was something from SuddenLink.

Tuesday, SuddenLink showed up and started hooking things up. I said, "I got your package the other day - I guess it's the modem." The techs were really confused by this and said, "We don't mail modems out - we bring them with us. Let's take a look at it."

We opened the box, and it was a CENTURYLINK modem. The SuddenLink guys said, "Did you order internet service from CenturyLink?" "No," I said, "I've never even heard of CenturyLink." We went outside and my side yard was filled with little plastic flags that said CenturyLink on them - this is where CenturyLink had planned to dig in my yard and bury their cable!

I was not a happy camper about this. I immediately called CenturyLink and told them I had not placed this order, and I wanted to return the modem (which was a hassle, by the way, that I didn't ask for) and that they did not have permission to come onto my property or dig in my yard. Get this - apparently I'm not the first person to return an unsolicited modem - because there was a mailing label already inside it just for that purpose!

Anyway, I returned the modem to them and they never came into my yard to bury any sort of cable. Foolish me - I thought that was the end of it!

But no - a month later (you guessed it) WE GOT A BILL from them for internet service! It was under my husband's name - but it was a shortened version of his name, which he doesn't go by and none of our bills are ever addressed that way. He works out of town so I called and at first they wouldn't even talk to me because it wasn't in my name - and then they said, "Well, we can talk with you if you can verify your husband's social security number with us." "WHAT?" I said. "You have his SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER ON FILE?" "Yes," they said, "And you need to verify it with us."

Oh, hell no.

Long story short, I went up the ladder a few steps and finally got someone who assured me that they would cancel our service. WHAT SERVICE? I fought that and asked how on earth we could even HAVE service without a cable or a modem, so she then said she would cancel our ORDER. WHAT ORDER????? We never placed an order! Finally she said she would take care of it - we didn't owe any money - and we shouldn't receive any more bills.

(You guessed it) We received another bill. Now it was up to THREE MONTHS of service, PLUS LATE FEES. So when I called and pitched a wild eyed fit, finally someone told me that this order had been submitted BY A THIRD PARTY - either DirecTV or one of our utility companies. I told them that if we received another bill from them, the next contact would be from our attorney. I also told them that if any of this shows up on our credit report, we will take legal action against them.

I find all of this pretty disturbing. Your thoughts?
In your shoes I would inform Century Link that I planned to report this incident to 1) the Public Service Commission( or it's counterpart in your state if it's not Florida, 2) the FCC, 3) Better Business Bureau, and 4) your State Attorney for their slamming practices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top