U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:36 AM

18,505 posts, read 55,427,357 times

Advertisements

The issue with milk cartons today is that they are making the seal at the top too strong. When the cartons were waxed and the crimped wax was the seal, opening was easy. What I am noticing now with the screw top plugs in the paper cartons is that the seal in the screw top is becoming increasingly hard to remove. I've had to resort to sticking a fork handle in the little loop and pulling hard enough that I fear the loop will break. These are just about impossible for my wife to remove (arthritis).

The glass bottles and pogs were by far the easiest to handle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 11:41 AM

21,540 posts, read 24,664,736 times
I like the European version. A plastic bag. Open it, pour it into a container and be done with it (btw it was tried in the US in the late 70's but didn't make it).

Old 08-31-2014, 12:53 PM

4,749 posts, read 5,586,032 times
Seems like only a few of you got my point. Of course I can live with the crappy cartons. Of course I have choices. My point is, if it's not so hard, why not make it more user-friendly? If others (other manufacturers, or even other countries) can do it, why not these manufactures? Many times I choose one brand over the other solely for the convenient packaging (or even the aesthetic appeals). So they could make more money even if they spend a little cost for the improved design.

(edited as I didn't see the second page before I posted--so "a few" as "only xxx")

Old 08-31-2014, 01:02 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Seems like only a few of you got my point. Of course I can live with the crappy cartons. Of course I have choices. My point is, if it's not so hard, why not make it more user-friendly? If others (other manufacturers, or even other countries) can do it, why not these manufactures? Many times I choose one brand over the other solely for the convenient packaging (or even the aesthetic appeals). So they could make more money even if they spend a little cost for the improved design.

(edited as I didn't see the second page before I posted--so "a few" as "only xxx")
Each manufacturer has their own marketing plan. Some feel the need to have better packaging in order to provide better UX and thus obtain more customers. Some don't. If you're buying a particular brand of milk over and over, the message that you are sending them is that you are happy with their product.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:05 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,367,707 times
Milk (like bread) is a very cost sensitive product. In general the American consumer buys milk based on cost. In some regions the actual cost of the milk is controlled. So once a packaging plant is invested in the producer want to run it as long as possible to spread the cost over as much product as possible. And when it comes time to invest in new machinery the cost per unit is very important. So the packaging decided upon is chosen based on cost per unit. I've noticed that Walmart/Sams Club is now using a squarer plastic gallon jug. I'll bet they found out that it allows more crates per truck lowering the delivery cost per gallon by a fraction of a cent.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:01 PM

7,452 posts, read 4,132,375 times
Quote:

The market dictates policy. What you may prefer apparently differs from what the population as a whole prefers. You don't really propose that everyone else yields to your preference and requires the expense incurred in having all manufacturers produce multiple packages, do you?

Old 08-31-2014, 10:27 PM

4,749 posts, read 5,586,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What you may prefer apparently differs from what the population as a whole prefers.
Well, I suppose something more convenient without loss of quality is preferred by the vast majority.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:33 AM

5,721 posts, read 6,912,697 times
Quote:
It's doable, but unnecessarily annoying, to open a milk/juice carton that has no plastic screw cap. The manufacturer was not thinking for consumers, apparently. So many times I failed in the attempt to "properly" tear open the paper carton top so that the milk/juice can pour out without leaking and causing a mess. It's amazing the U.S. as the #1(?) economy has a more backward consumer packaging design than many other countries. I'm sure it doesn't take too much of brains or cost to design a user-friendly milk carton.
I've been opening cardboard cartons since I was 5 years old, I don't have a problem, I think they are just about as 'user friendly' as they can get. How much simpler do *you* need it to be?

Old 09-03-2014, 02:55 AM

1,316 posts, read 998,338 times
One of the posters above mentioned arthritis, so I think they have a right to complain and ask for easier-opening packaging.

wine bottles, I think are far harder to open. You really do need one of those massive $19.95 things that looks like a fence-post-hole digger.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:10 AM

39,788 posts, read 57,659,871 times
I hate those boxes. The milk (or juice) gets an aftertaste from it.
BTW: They are not made of waxed paper. Cartons do not contain any wax and have not for many years. All cartons are made mainly from paper. Gable-top (or refrigerated) cartons contain additional layers of plastic, while aseptic (or shelf-stable) cartons contain additional layers of plastic and aluminum.

I buy my milk in glass bottles.
There are other options available than paper box: glass bottle, and 0.5-1 gal. plastic jars.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products