U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:36 PM

4,749 posts, read 5,588,836 times

Advertisements

It's doable, but unnecessarily annoying, to open a milk/juice carton that has no plastic screw cap. The manufacturer was not thinking for consumers, apparently. So many times I failed in the attempt to "properly" tear open the paper carton top so that the milk/juice can pour out without leaking and causing a mess. It's amazing the U.S. as the #1(?) economy has a more backward consumer packaging design than many other countries. I'm sure it doesn't take too much of brains or cost to design a user-friendly milk carton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 02:05 AM

40,069 posts, read 48,956,282 times
Why don't you design make and patent your idea and present it to the bottle manufacturers. Look at all the money and fame you'll receive. Or you could just simply write the producers and tell them your idea. I doubt they read CD for information or ideas.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:22 AM

10,542 posts, read 5,801,194 times
My milk has a plastic screw cap.........of course, I use powdered milk.

Now, that's not necessarily off topic for it points out that milk does not only come in paper cartons or plastic, non screw type jugs.

Mine comes in a box and lasts for about 1.5-2 months and I get to pick whatever I want to mix and keep it in.

Further, keep in mind, that in the store bought liquid form, its container is not meant to last for long. Why should it since its contents aren't going to last for long. So why make the carton more durable when there really isn't a need?

If one wants a milk container with a better top, buy a carafe or a sealing bottle or something and transfer it. Don't drive up the cost for everyone else just because you wanted a better container.

So the technology is already there......it is just not there in the form one wants it to be for their convenience.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:37 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
It's doable, but unnecessarily annoying, to open a milk/juice carton that has no plastic screw cap. The manufacturer was not thinking for consumers, apparently. So many times I failed in the attempt to "properly" tear open the paper carton top so that the milk/juice can pour out without leaking and causing a mess. It's amazing the U.S. as the #1(?) economy has a more backward consumer packaging design than many other countries. I'm sure it doesn't take too much of brains or cost to design a user-friendly milk carton.
I'm surprised that you only have one option. We have cartons with and without screw tops. We have bottles with screw tops. We aren't stuck with a single manufacturer.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:23 AM

4,749 posts, read 5,588,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm surprised that you only have one option. We have cartons with and without screw tops. We have bottles with screw tops. We aren't stuck with a single manufacturer.
That is the case, but that exactly means there is NO option for a particular manufacturer/brand.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:25 AM

34,431 posts, read 43,279,509 times
I really don't know how we survived during the decades milk only came in the waxed cardboard cartons without a screw cap. Just dealt with it, I guess.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:34 AM

141 posts, read 165,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I really don't know how we survived during the decades milk only came in the waxed cardboard cartons without a screw cap. Just dealt with it, I guess.
^ This.

When I was growing up we bought our milk in glass bottles with paper caps. At the dairy. And we left the money in a wooden box.

I only buy soy or almond milk these days, so it's either a screw top or one of those flat plastic flip lids.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:41 AM

34,431 posts, read 43,279,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osric View Post
^ This.

When I was growing up we bought our milk in glass bottles with paper caps. At the dairy. And we left the money in a wooden box.

I only buy soy or almond milk these days, so it's either a screw top or one of those flat plastic flip lids.
Likely from cows I had to milk.

Yeah, when we moved from the farm and away from those damned **** producing animals I was confused by the cartons of milk. Once. But, then again, I was fairly bright and figured them out pretty quickly.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:00 AM

3,283 posts, read 3,369,102 times
Well I can still get milk from the dairy in glass bottles! there is of course a deposit on the bottle but the dairy is not much further than the grocery store. On top of that when the grandkids visit we can go up there and they can feed the calves (every day at 4 PM). They process the milk products (including Ice Cream) right at the dairy and also have their own chickens so the eggs are fresh too.

But about cartons. There is a lot of engineering in cartons and any given mass market dairy can probably only afford to have one type of carton given the cost of the machinery. I can remember back in the 60s when the milk at school came in several different cartons depending on who had the contract each year. The first I remember was a cardbord box about twice as high as it was in width and depth. It had a flat crimped lid at one corner. Then there was the 'House shaped' one with a verticle ridge at the top that you pried the end open. Then the variation that let us poke the straw through a whole in the 'roof' of the house. Then a variation that had a flat ridge line and a tab at one end that you tore open. The most unigue one was the trapazoid. I still see this for sour cream at fast food places. It seemed a disaster. Lots of leakage and hard for a 10 year old to open. I don't even think it lasted a full year.

Now I see plastic bottles with screw caps cardboard cartons with screw caps (Where the punchhole for the straw was in the individual school cartons but mostly I see plastic jugs. I remember there was a Milk in a bag fad but that didn't seem to last (you had to have a special plastic holder for the bag that the dairy provided I think.

Over all I think there are more options today then ever

Old 08-31-2014, 10:04 AM

35,108 posts, read 41,288,800 times
We don't even have the option of cartons around here unless you are getting a quart of milk, cream, whipping cream or buttermilk.
Otherwise all of the brands of milk come in plastic containers.

I remember when I was a child milk could only be found in glass bottles that had to be picked up at the Dairy Store and our milk at school came in cartons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products