U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 PM

167 posts, read 320,695 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college graduate who relocated to a different state for work. My current salary is in the mid 30s and I live in an expensive state.

A lot of my income is spent of rent and groceries. I'm a single female who loves to cook and I was wondering if it's worth to get a Costco membership?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 03:39 PM

6,120 posts, read 5,527,312 times
I'm single and never thought it was worth it.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:41 PM

6,704 posts, read 18,969,728 times
You may pay a few dollars for the membership card and save on some purchases but (a big BUT) only if the purchases are in BULK pkgs or items that will sit a long time before being used up.

A freezer full of nice expensive steaks is Nice but how long would it take for one person to replenish the supply w/o asking to feed many others.

I'M single now (retired) and have a habit of buying some quantity items that sit for a long time either in the fridge/freezer or filling up shelf space....better to have the money in the bank for a worth while purchase and need.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:44 PM

64 posts, read 74,080 times
I have difficulty using all the fresh produce I buy from CostCo and will need to find a new grocery store as I hate wasting so much food. I really only started going to CostCo because it was within walking distance and I hate driving. In addition, my costco doesn't seem to have very good produce (mold on veggies/fruits, fruits not tasting very sweet, etc). The only thing it seems to be good for is buying toilet paper/laundry detergent/gas for my car. Maybe CostCo is a good deal for families, but for a single gal, it sucks.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:34 PM

713 posts, read 1,475,899 times
I share a Costco membership, so it costs me little. Still, I find that I cannot finish fresh foods purchased there before they go bad or reach their expiration date. Similarly, for non-food items, it takes me so long to finish them up that often newer, improved products hit the stores before I've exhausted my Costco-purchased items. Then there's the matter of storage. Costco items are huge, requiring significant space to store them.

The Costco local to me is so insane that I have to take a Valium before I go ! All in all, it's just not worth it for me from a cost or mental health perspective.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,844 posts, read 56,221,985 times
Do you have a big pantry and a big freezer? If so you will save money, if not you will have problems. We have 3 people nd spend $200+ there monthly, but buy things like flour in the 25 lb sack, 5+ lbs of ground beef, fish, or other meat, gallon jugs of clothes washing liquid, boxes of 12 cans tomato sauce and refried beans, big plastic bins of salad greens and spinach, 10 lb bags of sugar. You are better off finding someone else with a card, and going with them to get only those things you can handle, such as the big packs of toilet paper and paper towels that will last you a couple of years. We added our kids to our account so they could buy until they got married and got their own, used to be $35/year per extra person.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:56 PM

19,111 posts, read 19,970,850 times
As a long time Costco member, my thought is probably not worth the membership cost for a single person.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:51 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
I won't shop at Costco after they helped cover up the Erik Scott murder (in fact I canceled my membership because of it), but my opinion is that a club store membership is largely useless for a single person. At least wait until you have some roommates or you move in with a significant other. The value really starts to kick in when you're shopping for a household of four or more.

Last edited by swagger; 09-04-2014 at 05:09 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 09:54 PM

993 posts, read 1,413,890 times
We have always been a family of three, and now two since our daughter went to grad school. For the two of us, I still keep the membership because gas is cheaper at Costco than any place else. So all of our fill ups are done at Costco. I still buy the paper towels, tp, and bar soap. We prefer the organic produce at Costco, but we don't have a lot of other places that are reasonably priced. If we buy a crate of something we just vow to eat it til it's gone, can it, freeze it, share with some friends. We just bought some peaches so we had them in lunches, canned jam, cut up and frozen in bags, made peach pies, and put them over ice cream for dessert. Also, being older, we get all of our prescriptions at Costco though you don't have to be a member to do that.

Our daughter splits a membership with her roommate. Their nearest Costco is 2 hours away. However, when any of their friends needs a lift to the airport near the Costco they offer to provide the lift, the airport person gives them $$$ for gas, the girls fill up on paper goods, soaps, last trip they found a new iron they needed, and got a great deal on some towels. They also shopped for some clothes, underwear, socks. While they were shopping they had their printer cartridges re-filled. And on the way out they bought hotdogs and cokes for the ride home. Both girls also wear contact lenses so they buy those at Costco as well.

One person alone...you would have to be pretty creative with food products. On the other hand, you could lower your monthly grocery bills by stocking up on paper products, soaps, and other non-perishables. If Costco is close enough to buy all of your gas there you would save quite a bit in a year. Just depends.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:26 PM

3,978 posts, read 3,458,555 times
Membership is only $50 a year. Let's say you save $2 per trip, you can easily get your $50 back within a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products