U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 09:40 AM

15,209 posts, read 18,487,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Isn't about time to make it work? Do you want to continue to hear about one of these crimes after another? Why do we have to stay on the same track - make it work. I should say; make anything work that guarantees our security.
My security is not nearly as important to me as my privacy. I can change my security situation at will, as conditions change. Can't do the same thing with my privacy.

You never actually answered the question. You want biometric confirmation of every transaction, yet you failed to address the largest source of transactions - the internet. You also didn't address phone/fax orders, which my business is built around. I've personally met exactly three of my customers, out of thousands. How am I supposed to get a fingerprint or photo when they're doing 60mph in a big rig?

"Make it work" is not a solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 11:48 AM

14,987 posts, read 12,196,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
My security is not nearly as important to me as my privacy. I can change my security situation at will, as conditions change. Can't do the same thing with my privacy.

You never actually answered the question. You want biometric confirmation of every transaction, yet you failed to address the largest source of transactions - the internet. You also didn't address phone/fax orders, which my business is built around. I've personally met exactly three of my customers, out of thousands. How am I supposed to get a fingerprint or photo when they're doing 60mph in a big rig?

"Make it work" is not a solution.
Ok; maybe it would not work for every application? Truck drivers are not supposed to be making transactions at 60 mph - the trucks I drove were governed for 58 mph.

However; tell me why our banks do not have your picture on their screens when you want to get money? There is no reason that we cannot do a better job. It is only a matter of time until ever major chain gets hacked. There are just too many groups working their way around any security. I am sure that Target and Home Depot thought they were "safe" and I am sure they spent a fortune trying to maintain the security of their customers.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:01 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Quote:
However; tell me why our banks do not have your picture on their screens when you want to get money?
What good would that do at an ATM? Criminals don't walk in to a bank and withdraw from other people accounts using a teller, there are far easier ways.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
What good would that do at an ATM? Criminals don't walk in to a bank and withdraw from other people accounts using a teller, there are far easier ways.
I did agree with swagger that it might not work in every application. All I am saying is that we should do more. How about the finger print at the ATM? We talk about changes and then we do nothing. It is almost like there is a fear of stopping this theft. I have to presume that some companies simply don't care where their money comes from as long as it keeps coming.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:43 PM

10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Quote:
I did agree with swagger that it might not work in every application. All I am saying is that we should do more. How about the finger print at the ATM? We talk about changes and then we do nothing. It is almost like there is a fear of stopping this theft. I have to presume that some companies simply don't care where their money comes from as long as it keeps coming.
Fingerprint scanners are easily fooled. There is no easy (or not so easy) fix. If the data is online then it is vulnerable.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Fingerprint scanners are easily fooled. There is no easy (or not so easy) fix. If the data is online then it is vulnerable.
The cost of some of this technology has come down. I know that these systems are not perfect. All I am saying is that we constantly here of identity theft. Why are we not trying harder to thwart this malicious crime? It is only a matter of time till it hits every business and government agency and every consumer.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
tell me why our banks do not have your picture on their screens when you want to get money?
Because they already ID you with your PIN. If you forgot your PIN, they can ID you with your ID and debit card. If you lost everything, they can ID you with your signature. Why do they need your picture?

Quote:
There is no reason that we cannot do a better job.
I don't necessarily disagree, but the card companies are doing what they can. You can't just force a wholesale change of the way transactions are processed. It has to be done without any interruption in service, and not every merchant is able to or would want to accommodate changes of the type you're suggesting.

And then there's consumer acceptance of any new mechanism. I'm sure you're aware of the cards with RFID chips in them - as soon as they came out, people were figuring out ways to defeat the chips, either out of concern for their privacy or their security. Do you really think that the general public would be willing to give their thumb print to buy a gallon of milk? I sure wouldn't - I'd pay cash. In fact, I'd start paying cash for everything I could, and I'd be writing a lot more checks than I do now. Visa/MC/Amex/etc know this, and they're not going to risk losing all that business just to cut back on fraud, which for the consumer, usually doesn't amount to more than making a phone call to the bank and waiting a few days for a new card. It's the merchants that have to eat all those bad transactions.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:05 PM

20,511 posts, read 20,503,721 times
Quote:
The cost of some of this technology has come down. I know that these systems are not perfect. All I am saying is that we constantly here of identity theft. Why are we not trying harder to thwart this malicious crime? It is only a matter of time till it hits every business and government agency and every consumer.
As an example of that statement, I am just now reading a letter I got today offering credit protection for a year from a medical facility we used during the past year because they now know they were breached with a cyber attack.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Criminals don't walk in to a bank and withdraw from other people accounts using a teller
Actually, they do.

My stint as a teller ended with a customer impersonator, because I didn't follow the proper procedures and the bank ended up taking a loss.

It's a much bigger problem than you think.

ETA: Just to drive the point home even more, two of the five days I spent in teller training were focused on exactly that problem.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Actually, they do.

My stint as a teller ended with a customer impersonator, because I didn't follow the proper procedures and the bank ended up taking a loss.

It's a much bigger problem than you think.
That is a perfect example. Why, when you as a teller, pulled up our account information; did you not have a picture on your screen?

I know that it isn't perfect and it cannot be used all of the time. I just want corporate America to take positive steps to thwart this.

I complain the same way about copper theft. We all know that it ends up in a scrap yard; but we don't take the proper steps to stop it. There has to be groups lobbying to keep the status quo.

Identity theft and copper theft are insidious crimes. They can change the lives of innocent people for many years - maybe a lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or