U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 03:21 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
As an example of that statement, I am just now reading a letter I got today offering credit protection for a year from a medical facility we used during the past year because they now know they were breached with a cyber attack.
There are breaches that happened years ago that no one ever heard about, an example, took these guys 4 years to disclose a breach
Gambling website Paddy Power took four years to tell 650,000 customers their data had been stolen | Optimal Security: The Lumension Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Actually, they do.

My stint as a teller ended with a customer impersonator, because I didn't follow the proper procedures and the bank ended up taking a loss.

It's a much bigger problem than you think.

ETA: Just to drive the point home even more, two of the five days I spent in teller training were focused on exactly that problem.
Seems like a good way to get caught. But I suppose a single criminal might not have another choice if they don't have a PIN. Not something the professional cybercriminal would do though, they have money mules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 03:42 PM

20,521 posts, read 20,511,864 times
Even if there were photos, how many people just reading this post could be reliably identified by , oh, let's say, their driver's license photo?

Old 09-09-2014, 04:12 PM

5,444 posts, read 5,022,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
amazing, when you call they refer you to send an email, when you email, now been 48 hours with no response.

Done with Home Depot forever.
What do you expect Home Depot to do for you? The data is already gone. If you feel that your card has been compromised, you need to contact your bank and request a new card.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
That is a perfect example. Why, when you as a teller, pulled up our account information; did you not have a picture on your screen?
Well, for starters, it was tech developed in the '70s (and no, this wasn't that long ago).

But the tech didn't matter. I didn't follow the procedure I was trained to follow. The failure was with the human, not the machine. If the human doesn't do their job correctly, no amount of tech or pictures or anything else will save the day.

And, for the record, a driver license or state ID card has your photo on it, too, and the bank is perfectly within their rights to ask to see it. I know that any time I pull out more than about 1k in cash, or even a cashier's check, they want my ID along with my debit card and PIN. If it's over ~5k, the transaction usually takes about 15 minutes while they verify everything multiple times up the chain of command.

BTW, for reference, the loss the bank took because of my mistake was around $3500. I don't remember the exact number, but it was in the 3k range.

Quote:
I know that it isn't perfect and it cannot be used all of the time. I just want corporate America to take positive steps to thwart this.
They do. They develop less invasive technologies than what you're proposing. They create and adjust procedures that have been polished over decades to be as efficient at thwarting fraud as possible. They come up with programs like "verified by visa" to give you additional layers of security. They're constantly updating their fraud detection algorithms.

They do a LOT, because it costs THEM money when this happens, too. There's a profit motive for them to reduce fraud. Most of what they do is behind the scenes, though, because the average consumer doesn't want or need to know about every detail of everything they're trying, so unless you have a reason to know about it, you generally don't.

Quote:
I complain the same way about copper theft. We all know that it ends up in a scrap yard; but we don't take the proper steps to stop it. There has to be groups lobbying to keep the status quo.
Methinks you're a bit paranoid. I know copper theft is a problem, but I'm not sure what you expect legislators to do about it. It's primarily a law enforcement issue, not a legislative one. Besides, the recyclers (here, anyway) all require a photo ID, a thumbprint and they take a photo of you. For EVERY transaction. It's actually along the lines of what you're suggesting for every credit card transaction. Funny thing, though - people are still stealing copper...

Old 09-09-2014, 08:13 PM

10,752 posts, read 18,003,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
But the tech didn't matter. I didn't follow the procedure I was trained to follow. The failure was with the human, not the machine.
Which is the same failure point in most data breaches. Mis-configured servers or network hardware, mis-management or lack of security protocols. There were countless alerts from Targets security software but they were ignored. As long as humans are responsible for monitoring/securing sensitive data that data will be stolen. People aren't perfect, mistakes can be made.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:25 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,003,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
What do you expect Home Depot to do for you? The data is already gone. If you feel that your card has been compromised, you need to contact your bank and request a new card.

already did that, been in finance for 30 years and have taken all necessary measures

don't expect Home Depot to do anything for me, read some of the articles online, home depot decided to save money and chose not to monitor security internally. poor choice on their part.

if those are the money savings choices they make at the customers expense, then I have the right to take my business elsewhere.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:52 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,256,597 times
Why hasn't Home Depot notified me of this data breach? Haven't they been notifying customers? During what months was the data breach happening?

Old 09-10-2014, 12:18 AM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
What do you expect Home Depot to do for you? The data is already gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
don't expect Home Depot to do anything for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Why hasn't Home Depot notified me of this data breach? Haven't they been notifying customers? During what months was the data breach happening?
The Home Depot - Incident Response

Old 09-10-2014, 04:51 AM

15,001 posts, read 12,203,564 times
Swagger the problem is that we hear of more cases. We are not changing the way we do business as fast as the hackers learn to steal our information. Your taking the position that we are doing everything that can possibly be done and the system works. These are not cases of somebody stealing just a few identities or fraud perpetrated on one teller - your talking about 40 million.

You know we did survive before electronic transfer. We introduce new technology and fraud becomes rampant - look at the problems with bitcoins. Here is a good article about the problems with this new virtual money: Bitcoin: Bitcoin under pressure | The Economist.

PS As far as the copper theft: There are further steps that we can take to eliminate this problem: Center for Problem-Oriented Policing | Problem Guides | Theft of Scrap Metal. Metal thieves cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage for a small amount of reward. It is not just a law enforcement issue if we do not give them the tools to enforce the law - we also have to insist that it is important that they do enforce the law.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:32 AM

12,304 posts, read 11,052,530 times
Quote:
That is a perfect example. Why, when you as a teller, pulled up our account information; did you not have a picture on your screen?
There are plenty of banks still using dumb terminals. Their monitors look nothing like the one at your home. Photos can't be displayed.

And why would I want my photo in a computer system? That's just one more thing to be stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or