U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-10-2014, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,987 posts, read 12,196,198 times
Reputation: 11276

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
There are plenty of banks still using dumb terminals. Their monitors look nothing like the one at your home. Photos can't be displayed.

And why would I want my photo in a computer system? That's just one more thing to be stolen.
Well your picture has been in your DOT's computer system for about 50 years. And, yes, many teenagers have tried to alter pictures for phony ID to get into bars. You still do not hear of millions abusing the system - like you hear about current Home Depot scandal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2014, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,209 posts, read 18,487,531 times
Reputation: 8052
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Swagger the problem is that we hear of more cases. We are not changing the way we do business as fast as the hackers learn to steal our information.
It's called a cat and mouse game for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Your taking the position that we are doing everything that can possibly be done and the system works.
No, I'm not. YOU are taking the position that they're not doing anything, because the bank doesn't have your picture on the screen. I'm merely letting you know that they ARE doing things - a lot of things. Most of them are transparent to the typical consumer, though, so you don't generally know about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,987 posts, read 12,196,198 times
Reputation: 11276
Swagger, according to this article: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ype=blogs&_r=0 Home Depot could be the very largest security breach with 60 million customers affected. That article further states: "The Department of Homeland Security and the Secret Service recently estimated that more than 1,000 businesses in the United States had been infected with malware that is programmed to siphon payment card details from cash registers in stores."

So, back to my original question; why are you defending the system the way it currently operates? This is a PR nightmare for Target, Home Depot, and others. Somebody has to stand up to the plate and say and mean that they will change and institute some form of new security procedures. It can't be a secret from the public - it will appear to only be lip service and business as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:25 AM
 
10,752 posts, read 17,999,763 times
Reputation: 10244
A timely article on placing blame/responsibility.

Nude Celebs, Target, Home Depot: Who is to blame? Criminals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,209 posts, read 18,487,531 times
Reputation: 8052
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Swagger, according to this article: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...ype=blogs&_r=0 Home Depot could be the very largest security breach with 60 million customers affected. That article further states: "The Department of Homeland Security and the Secret Service recently estimated that more than 1,000 businesses in the United States had been infected with malware that is programmed to siphon payment card details from cash registers in stores."

So, back to my original question; why are you defending the system the way it currently operates? This is a PR nightmare for Target, Home Depot, and others. Somebody has to stand up to the plate and say and mean that they will change and institute some form of new security procedures. It can't be a secret from the public - it will appear to only be lip service and business as usual.
You're not getting it, fisheye. I'm not "defending" anything. I'm simply having a discussion with you, and informing you of things that you clearly weren't aware of, while explaining why your ideas, frankly, suck. If you come up with a good idea, I will back it. You haven't.

You're not the only person trying to come up with ideas to combat fraud. As I already explained, the credit card companies have a profit motive to deal with it, as do the merchants, and they ALL do what they can to subvert it. YOU CAN'T STOP EVERYTHING.

As I also pointed out, this type of attack is FAR more sophisticated than the random Russian script kiddie getting into some random ecommerce site. It's also NEW. It's difficult to protect against previously unknown vectors of attack.

They're working on it. I guarantee it. Even the federal government is getting involved. If you think that the merchants, merchant banks, credit card companies and government are just "maintaining the status quo" or however you phrased it, for a reason you haven't yet explained, then you're being willfully ignorant as you have enough information now to understand why these changes can't be conceived of, developed and most importantly, implemented overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 02:57 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,987 posts, read 12,196,198 times
Reputation: 11276
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You're not getting it, fisheye. I'm not "defending" anything. I'm simply having a discussion with you, and informing you of things that you clearly weren't aware of, while explaining why your ideas, frankly, suck. If you come up with a good idea, I will back it. You haven't.

You're not the only person trying to come up with ideas to combat fraud. As I already explained, the credit card companies have a profit motive to deal with it, as do the merchants, and they ALL do what they can to subvert it. YOU CAN'T STOP EVERYTHING.

As I also pointed out, this type of attack is FAR more sophisticated than the random Russian script kiddie getting into some random ecommerce site. It's also NEW. It's difficult to protect against previously unknown vectors of attack.

They're working on it. I guarantee it. Even the federal government is getting involved. If you think that the merchants, merchant banks, credit card companies and government are just "maintaining the status quo" or however you phrased it, for a reason you haven't yet explained, then you're being willfully ignorant as you have enough information now to understand why these changes can't be conceived of, developed and most importantly, implemented overnight.
If there is a plan you can't keep it secret - unless you show the crooks getting arrested. No you don't have to go into specific details and let the crooks know - but you still have to thwart crimes and catch some perpetrators. There is nothing like throwing money into a black hole and never seeing the results - I know; that's secret!

You need to get back consumer confidence and this isn't helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2014, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Tyler, TX
15,209 posts, read 18,487,531 times
Reputation: 8052
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If there is a plan you can't keep it secret - unless you show the crooks getting arrested. No you don't have to go into specific details and let the crooks know - but you still have to thwart crimes and catch some perpetrators. There is nothing like throwing money into a black hole and never seeing the results - I know; that's secret!

You need to get back consumer confidence and this isn't helping.
No, you just need to pay better attention to what pretty much everyone is telling you, and have some level of motivation to do even the tiniest amount of research.

You seem to want some kind of magic bullet solution that can't exist in the real world, and you want the news of this miraculous new technology, procedure or picture-on-a-screen personally delivered to you on a silver platter by the CEO of Bank of America. Or something. I don't actually know what you want. I just know that your expectations are unrealistic and that you're apparently too lazy to try and find out the answers to your questions on your own.

BBC NEWS | Technology | Credit card code to combat fraud
Visa USA Launches Breakthrough Anti-Fraud Technology -- re> SAN FRANCISCO, June 13 /PRNewswire/ --
MasterCard
Verified by Visa for Online Protection | Visa USA
MasterCard unleashes anti-fraud system
Security*| MasterCardĀ®
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...otect-you.html

It just keeps going. But you might have to actually spend thirty seconds on a search engine to find it. I realize that for a lot of people, that's far too big a project to take on, but it's worth the effort. Really, it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,987 posts, read 12,196,198 times
Reputation: 11276
Swagger, OK I spent my 30 seconds on your links. Most of those, that I could track down on properties, were dated before this last Home Depot breach. Yes I know that it takes time to change to new systems. In some cases these 'super-hacks' will be sitting there waiting for the new systems. Can you guarantee me that there will not be another Target or Home Depot breach? Can you guarantee anybody that? Can you point to any one of the anti-fraud technologies, in those links, and say that will stop all fraud?

Many of us are just sitting back and waiting for the axe to fall. People, groups, do not steal this much information for no reason. Somebody will be the victim of fraud and it will take many years, or their lifetime, to undo the damage that was done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,511 posts, read 20,503,721 times
Reputation: 24347
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Swagger, OK I spent my 30 seconds on your links. Most of those, that I could track down on properties, were dated before this last Home Depot breach. Yes I know that it takes time to change to new systems. In some cases these 'super-hacks' will be sitting there waiting for the new systems. Can you guarantee me that there will not be another Target or Home Depot breach? Can you guarantee anybody that? Can you point to any one of the anti-fraud technologies, in those links, and say that will stop all fraud?

Many of us are just sitting back and waiting for the axe to fall. People, groups, do not steal this much information for no reason. Somebody will be the victim of fraud and it will take many years, or their lifetime, to undo the damage that was done.
It's true that some people have their identity stolen to the extent that they have a hell of a time straightening things out but I hope you do realize that more often, fraudulent charges on credit cards become the financial onus of the card companies/bank and you, the holder, is responsible for a minimal amount.
Which entity takes the biggest financial hit? Which entity do you think wants the most to find a solution?
You think they aren't trying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2014, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
14,987 posts, read 12,196,198 times
Reputation: 11276
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It's true that some people have their identity stolen to the extent that they have a hell of a time straightening things out but I hope you do realize that more often, fraudulent charges on credit cards become the financial onus of the card companies/bank and you, the holder, is responsible for a minimal amount.
Which entity takes the biggest financial hit? Which entity do you think wants the most to find a solution?
You think they aren't trying?
I am not saying that they aren't trying. All I am saying is that this is very frustrating and costly to the companies and customers. We want to hear what they are going to do next and how are they ever going to stop this permanently. Between Target and Home Depot you could be talking about a third (possibly higher; if you take into account how many actual wage earners and the other 1000 businesses that have been infected with spyware) of our Nation that could have been hit with this fraud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 PM.

Ā© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top