U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 5 days ago)

15,437 posts, read 8,958,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Taken right off the bottom of my Kroger receipt this week: "You saved 33% on you order today. Total savings with your Kroger card $86.10." And that's just sticking to my list.

They issue cards to create loyalty. I don't see any difference between that and frequent flyer mile perks.
I did some reading on the internet and there is some evidence that the cards don't save you money. In fact, shoppers at stores that use the cards actually end up being slightly MORE expensive. Here are a couple of articles I found:

The Truth Behind Grocery Store Discount Cards

The Discount Grocery Cards That Don't Save You Money - WSJ

Of course Kroger is going to claim you saved money, whether you actually saved money or not. They do that by reducing the price of their previously inflated price of the grocery item. As you said, they want you to keep coming back to Kroger. However, some of the cards have those additional perks which may be worth something monetarily to the members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 11:56 AM

541 posts, read 990,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
This^^. Most of the Kroger stores here have gas stations & you can save a LOT on gas. I think you can also get a gas discount at Shell stations as well (not sure which stations, but it's a lesser discount than at the Kroger stations). A discount's a discount!
Yes, you can save a ton on gas at Kroger. I even have Krogers CC, that saves me an additional .05 off per gallon.

One time, DH called me up & said his work needed 12 $100. GC's for customers. So I went to Kroger & got 12 Visa cards. I believe I had 5000 fuel points that month. We filled up 2 cars for cheap that month. I believe it maxes out at 1.00 a gallon.......

Old 09-06-2014, 12:02 PM

13,292 posts, read 21,204,786 times
If you aren't an impulse shopper, and I'm not, you will save money. Right now I have two coupons from Kroger, one for $20.00 off any $200.00 order, another for $12.00 off $120.00. I am only aware of grocery prices in my immediate area, which has a Publix(no cards), a Kroger, and a Costco. Well, there's a Walmart not too far away too, but I don't shop there.

Publix relies on their bogo specials, and rarely, if ever, are they for items other than processed foods. Their staple items are higher than Kroger, even without using the card. I consider myself to be an educated consumer. Kroger gets my money, and I get their savings.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:10 PM

37,981 posts, read 46,792,674 times
Thankfully, Publix doesn't have cards. Everyone gets the discount. The other 3 grocery stores I go to have them as well as the Rite Aid. You bet I use them. One of them is good for 10 to 50 cents off a gallon of gas too.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:49 PM

11,599 posts, read 20,756,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Many of the stores have the option to load online coupons as well - why not save money? (Today for instance, I got 4 boxes of Nature Valley granola bars for a grand total after taxes of $2.98 - I did have two manufacturer coupons so that saved me two but otherwise I got the sale price w/my card and coupons that the store had offered that I'd selected)
I forgot to add - I also received a coupon for $2.00 off a future order (so $.98 for 4 boxes!!)

Old 09-06-2014, 04:49 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,425,009 times
I HATE those types of stores, the price should be the same for EVERYONE! On the rare occasion that I find myself in one of those types of stores, if the cashier is not willing to use their own card, I walk out. If EVERYONE complained about this absurd practice they would stop it asap, but too many sheeple think they are getting some special discount and gladly give up their personal info for a .50c saving, that they could get at another store that does not require shoppers cards.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:17 PM

20,168 posts, read 19,664,728 times
Unless you are getting actual rewards or savings with store cards, it is not a worthwhile program. It is a costly program that wastes plastic for making cards and time to change sale prices consistently.

Different cash and credit prices at gas stations are inclusive with store cards. First, gas prices are already high. Second, cash prices are not more than a dollar cheaper than credit prices at the end of the sale.

I do patronize a supermarket that has a card, another that does not, and gas stations that do not have different cash and credit price gimmicks.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:21 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,417,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
If EVERYONE complained about this absurd practice they would stop it asap, but too many sheeple think they are getting some special discount and gladly give up their personal info for a .50c saving, that they could get at another store that does not require shoppers cards.
I have never seen a half a cent discount on anything...

Old 09-06-2014, 05:32 PM

22,023 posts, read 23,547,610 times
I save with my Krogers card - in groceries as well as with gas. I don't have an issue with "tracking" the sales or with creating loyalty. I don't see the downside to either of these things. If you feel the tracking is done in a way that might personally identify you somehow then sign up under an assumed name and address and always pay in cash. If you are that concerned about privacy you probably should be always paying for everything in cash anyway.

For those that say it's a waste of plastic - think of all the paper saved that used to be used for in-store coupons. It's simply a more efficient way to do what's always been done. <shrugs>

Old 09-06-2014, 05:47 PM

13,292 posts, read 21,204,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
I HATE those types of stores, the price should be the same for EVERYONE! On the rare occasion that I find myself in one of those types of stores, if the cashier is not willing to use their own card, I walk out. If EVERYONE complained about this absurd practice they would stop it asap, but too many sheeple think they are getting some special discount and gladly give up their personal info for a .50c saving, that they could get at another store that does not require shoppers cards.
But, that's the thing. I AM getting a discount. This week, by using my shopper's card, I got packages of Purdue chicken breast, buy one, get one free. The price per pound was the same $4.99 it usually is, not marked up to give faux savings. So, instead of paying $40.00 for 4 packs, I paid $20. And, I have enough chicken in the freezer to last me until the next time it goes on sale.

If you don't want to take advantage of the savings, fine. More for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or