U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 10:50 PM

289 posts, read 362,041 times

Advertisements

If a store receives back merchandise that has clearly been used (maybe wear and tear, dirt, packaging all torn apart), but the item can be cleaned up and restored to looking like new (or almost so), then is it wrong for them to put it back on the shelf and sell them like any other item? We're not talking a second hand store in this scenario- the store would be one which exclusively sells new merchandise and so the expectation is that all items are brand new. I have my own opinion on this, but I want to hear from other people how they react to the proposition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:22 PM

12,412 posts, read 18,363,981 times
When I go shopping at a place like Macy's for instance, where the return policy is 6 months, anything I buy could have been worn before and returned. There is no way to know for sure. If it is in good shape it goes back out on the floor. As a customer Im aware of that, and if it bothered me to buy clothes other people might have worn, I wouldn't be shopping at Macy's. So im ok with it as long as the item is like new, in mint condition.
The same goes for any merchandise.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:24 PM

35,108 posts, read 41,276,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
When I go shopping at a place like Macy's for instance, where the return policy is 6 months, anything I buy could have been worn before and returned. There is no way to know for sure. If it is in good shape it goes back out on the floor. As a customer Im aware of that, and if it bothered me to buy clothes other people might have worn, I wouldn't be shopping at Macy's. So im ok with it as long as the item is like new, in mint condition.

This is the exact reason I am learning how to sew clothing.
Not that I shop that much but I would rather not wonder how long the item(s) have been in someone else's home.

My opinion on the original question is yes, it is wrong to put something back on the shelf as new when it is an item that has been returned.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:37 AM

40,062 posts, read 48,942,384 times
BY law those items are supposed to be marked as used, refurbished, open boxed, anything to identify that it is not a new product. It's misleading and dishonest not to mark them.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:42 PM

12,412 posts, read 18,363,981 times
If it is the law every single retailer is breaking that law.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:23 AM

24,309 posts, read 33,552,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
If it is the law every single retailer is breaking that law.
I agree. If I try on an item in the store, buy it, then change my mind and return it without having worn it again and with the tags still attached, really the only thing that's changed is that the item left the store and visited my house.

I don't see how that makes it not new.

I'm OK with buying a small appliance that has been returned too, as long as it's boxed back up with every scrap of original packaging and manuals included, has not been used, and has no defects. Like maybe it was an unwanted gift or something.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:12 AM

11,097 posts, read 14,788,486 times
Lots of items are returned in new condition, just because the box has been opened doesn't mean the item inside has been used in any way. Then again a lot of people will lie about whether they've used an item when they return it. I guess they think it can't be returned if it's used? To clarify, if the merchant KNOWS the item has been used, it should NOT go back on the shelf to be sold as new.

We always ask about returns where I work. If the items are returned as new the returns go back to stock if possible, used items usually go in the trash. There is no in between, no markdown for returned or open box items because people tend to abuse those kinds of policies a lot.

Clothing, well, lord knows how many people have had it on in the dressing room, or let their kids put their grubby little hands all over things while they crawl under the racks, I don't see how a return with the tags still on could be much worse.

Last edited by DubbleT; 09-07-2014 at 01:27 AM..

Old 09-07-2014, 07:32 AM

3,492 posts, read 5,057,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This is the exact reason I am learning how to sew clothing.
Not that I shop that much but I would rather not wonder how long the item(s) have been in someone else's home.

My opinion on the original question is yes, it is wrong to put something back on the shelf as new when it is an item that has been returned.
Interesting opinion. I don't care how long someone else had the item. It's just clothing. Therefore, I shop at the Ark and Goodwill. Get great shorts/pants for an average of 5 bucks per item that show very little wear = win. I'll spend my money on stocks and bonds so I can retire young. No sense spending it on having brand new clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or