U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 06:57 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,955,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Now there's an irony. You're comparing Costco's difficult parking to IKEA, a store with such an unnavigable maze of a layout it would discourage even the brightest of rats
Which store is the one that has an unnavigable maze of layouts? They both seem to fit that build, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 PM

680 posts, read 633,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
At least until the day when they will deliver to a residence because I just can't deal with their nightmare parking anymore, fortunately I have more money than time and I don't mind paying more for a pleasant experience overall, not just within the store.

Costco has done so much right, why can't their success begin with the moment you pull into the place? I arrive feeling good and enjoying my day, I leave with a migraine and a mood that would put Charles Manson to shame. Never again!

They need to take a lesson or two from Ikea, now that's a place that knows how to design parking or at least come up with a system that worked for them.
It is a nightmare here too, I was nearly assaulted by a very elderly lady when I missed seeing her waiting for the same space I parked in, she jumped out of her car cussing like a crazy person, I do think she would have hit me if I had not agreed to give her the spot.

They could use a shuttle to drive us from the back parking area, it seems Miles from the store but yeah, one of the most stressful things here is the dreaded Costco parking lot!!! Hate it!

Old 09-06-2014, 10:58 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,329,813 times
You could park an Excursion in the spaces by us, and people have!

Old 09-06-2014, 11:25 PM

9,557 posts, read 12,496,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
Costco has done so much right, why can't their success begin with the moment you pull into the place?
If you're refereeing to the diagonal entry with segregated parking areas blocked from free movement by physical barriers, that cause the lane in front of the store to become a funnel point for traffic and pedestrians, and creating multiple handicap parking stalls instead of a consolidated area; Costco is well aware the hassles it presents. The designs were conceived way back when and just became a trademark of their stores.

As an FYI, Costco customers are loyal to the brand like Starbucks and In-n-Out burger customers are. They accept these hardships as an entrance fee to some exclusive club. You will be hard pressed to find them say anything negative.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:19 AM

24,309 posts, read 33,552,134 times
Parking is always a problem at Costco around here.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:29 AM

3,492 posts, read 5,057,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Around here, Costco doesn't own their buildings or parking lots. It's hard to hold them accountable.
It could be hard to find them at fault, it is very easy to hold them accountable. They are not the same thing. This misunderstanding of the meaning of words is part of why NJ is such a train-wreck of a state.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:47 AM

8,830 posts, read 12,494,588 times
I think it's the commercial land owner at your location that's the problem, not Costco themself. Costco may have done better due diligence if you find the spaces too tight, etc. and just not build there, but they aren't the ones drawing the lines. The location may have been the largest available to them and the best for consumer traffic.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:50 AM

35,108 posts, read 41,276,893 times
The Costco in our area has indoor parking that is large, the spaces are bigger and spaced better and the area for carts is easy to access, and you don't have to walk more than a few feet to put your cart there.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:58 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,072,495 times
At a point any store can run into problems once it gets too big and parking problems is see not worth it;among other things. Its why many box stores limit size and often build to serve at multiple stores and why shopping centers have started to fail. There will always be people who like warehouse large stores tho just as there are people who like to shop even when not buying much for the time spent.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:05 PM

22,023 posts, read 23,547,610 times
Interesting the OP has not come back to explain what exactly was so very annoying that he/she refuses to shop there anymore. Not to mention what about IKEA's parking lot is so great that it should be a model. Our IKEA parking lot is just...a parking lot - well a parking garage. Other than that, nothing really stands out to make it more special than any other parking lot as far as I've noticed.

On the other hand, if she is not shopping there any more than perhaps it lessens the crowd at her local Costco, thus making it more pleasant for someone else. Win-win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or