Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 12:46 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,306,790 times

Advertisements

Don't worry, who ever did that will have it coming for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 01:14 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,908,787 times
I, too, wish for a just punishment for those who leave their cart. I do, however, try to do my part by taking one of those abandoned carts with me when I get out of my car. I'm going to need one when I get in there, so...

As for thoughtless/stupid/asshat, yesterday, I was parked fairly close to the entrance to the store. I took an AC with me when I went in, shopped, and as I loaded my purchases into my trunk, an SUV pulled in next to me with two thirty-somethings in it. I'm pretty sure they were "green thinkers" because one of them was carrying their reusable bags with them into the store. As I pushed the cart back into the store lobby, they followed. Wouldn't you think they would have suggested that they could take my cart back to the store?!? They took the cart I had just left in the lobby. <sigh>

Old 11-03-2014, 01:14 PM

6,458 posts, read 6,625,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The fact of the matter is, it is NOT my job to put my cart away, IMO, just as it isn't my job to check out my own groceries. That is why people are hired to round up carts. Costco, HEB, and Albertson's has the cart people rounding them up all the time so this isn't a problem. If the store doesn't have the employees do it often enough, that's on the store, not me. However, I won't be rude by allowing my cart to run into anyone's car and damage them, which is why I put them on a curb. Over time, I have noticed many businesses offering less service and charging the same or more for their products. And customers just suck it up and take it. I don't want to check myself out or go to the bank or restaurant and talk to a kiosk. I like the idea of employing human beings and talking to people, rather than machines.
Wow, I could not disagree more with your sentiment. While it may not be your "job" (in the literal sense of employment), I do consider it everyone's duty, responsibility, obligation, whatever you want to call it, to put the cart in the designated corral in the parking lot. A customer has already walked how many steps in the store???....but they just can't manage 20 or 30 more to get the cart into a place where it won't roll into other customers' cars??? It's just selfish and lazy.

It's like people who are trying on clothing at a store, then they're so lazy they leave them in the dressing room rather than putting them on the designated rack at the exit of the dressing room. Then the next customer finds all the hooks in the dressing room already filled with your rejects, or worse yet, lying in heaps on the floor.

Why anyone would intentionally NOT do these basic human courtesies is beyond me.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:25 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,232,427 times
I agree with the above post^
my argument is if you got the cart from the carousal or the front of the store than you should put it back where you got it
if you picked it up in the middle of the parking lot then just use common courtesy and put it in the carousel when your done, that's what they are there for

Old 11-05-2014, 07:36 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,217,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The only time I don't return carts to the cart return is if I went to a store where I receive poor to no service; ie Walmart or Kroger. I don't like having to return carts at stores where I feel like they don't care about me as a customer. But if the store gives me service with a smile, I am more than happy to return the cart. If I don't return the cart, I push the front wheels over a curb area so it won't run into anyone else's car.
So, on a windy day, punish a customer and not the store....wow, that is really intelligent.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:54 PM

172 posts, read 180,191 times
People who do not return carts do so because they believe their time is more valuable than anyone else's.

I've had my car damaged in a parking lot on a windy day. It was at a time in my life when I could not afford to fix what was essentially a foot crease above my left front wheel well where the cart's corner made impact. Went into the store to report it, they are not responsible for damage. Every time I looked at that dent for the next two years, I saw an extremely selfish person who couldn't spare 30 seconds to put a cart in a safe place.

I remember being on another message board many, many moons ago and this was a touchy subject. Most of the people who admitted to not returning carts said they didn't because they had kids or the corral was too far away or they had kids and it was raining. You know what that is? Laziness. I have a kid now and I always return my cart, even when she was a newborn, even when it was raining. If I could push that cart throughout a large store filled to the brim, I can push an empty one to the nearest corral. I will grab other carts hanging out in the parking lot if I come across them. I teach my kid that using a cart comes with the responsibility of returning it to a safe place where it cannot damage someone else's personal property. Even at four years old she recognizes that a free range cart has the potential to damage a car.

I don't understand the propping of the cart on the curb, doesn't that take more energy than just walking a few feet to a corral?

Old 11-08-2014, 09:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,147,614 times
People who don't return carts to the store or put them in the cart corral are lazy jerks IMHO.

Old 11-08-2014, 09:59 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,596,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona13 View Post
I went to the grocery store this weekend, came out and the employee who is supposed to gather all the carts and bring them up to the store is standing directly behind my car with his stack of carts talking on his cell phone. He saw me and moved out of the way and after loading my groceries I notice there is a cart right next to my driver's door. I had to move it to get into my car.

I am used to people leaving carts anywhere and everywhere here in Florida but it kind of irked me that this kid was too busy talking on his phone to go and get the carts that were between the cars. I like the system at Aldi's where you put in a quarter to "rent" a cart and then get it back when you return the cart. It's annoying to have to pass by empty parking spots because someone left their cart there. That happens every time I go shopping.
What did you expect from as you call it a kid and minimum wage workers.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:37 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,866,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
People who don't return carts to the store or put them in the cart corral are lazy jerks IMHO.
I agree but you know what? I've quit complaining about it. It's not going to change. Just like the stores starting on the 'next holiday' before the one we are going through is over. I give up! It keeps my blood pressure down to just not think about it. It is what it is and will forever be that way so why bother? I still have to put up with customers complaining about it all.day.long but I tell them the same thing. It's NOT going to change so just deal with it.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:35 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,147,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I agree but you know what? I've quit complaining about it. It's not going to change. Just like the stores starting on the 'next holiday' before the one we are going through is over. I give up! It keeps my blood pressure down to just not think about it. It is what it is and will forever be that way so why bother? I still have to put up with customers complaining about it all.day.long but I tell them the same thing. It's NOT going to change so just deal with it.
I don't pitch a hissy fit when I see it. I just roll my eyes at the lazy jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products