Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 07:57 PM

863 posts, read 1,191,623 times

Advertisements

-Rant Warning-

Today I went to the new shopping center down the street from me. There is a beautiful grocery store in there and the parking lot is spacious yet not enormously deep. The store has two entrances and exits so access from anywhere in this lot is a very short walk. There is a carriage return area strategically place in the middle of every other row so between lot not being very deep and the plethora of carriage return areas, you hardly have to walk more than 20 feet to the front of the store or a carriage return.

Yet what do I see when I return outside after shopping tonight? A carriage sitting up against my driver's door! WTF is it with people that they can't manage to walk even 20 feet to put a damn carriage away? I'd like to hear from those people here.......the ones that just leave their carts where ever they unload them. Why do you do it? It's anonymous here, so go ahead and confess. Give us peek into the mind of somebody totally inconsiderate of others and let us know what runs through your tiny little mind........Please?

The funny part about these people is that they aren't the ones you'd usually suspect like the old or infirmed. They're usually younger and look as though they could actually use the extra walk. While were at it, let me mention that this new store has 2 spots in the front for electric cars with free (I assume) recharge meters for said cars. As I'm pushing the cart away from my car, back to the front of the store, I see a vehicle parked in one of the designated spots for the electric cars......and what is parked there? It's a freaking giant Yukon Denali and a woman with a teenage kid is climbing into it and driving away. A million other spaces open (but not as close to the entrance) and she has to park in one of 2 spots set aside for somebody who cares for the environment as opposed to her gas guzzling giant.

What the hell has happened to common courtesy now days?

Thank You - Rant Over-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 11:07 PM

44,569 posts, read 61,347,806 times
LOL, I have the same feelings you do. Yesterday at the grocers some woman after loading her car just let the shopping cart go and it started to roll toward my vehicle and I had to run quickly to stop it from hitting it. I looked sternly at her and she just shrugged it off as if it was nothing to be concerned about.
I agree with you it's the self-serving I don't care it's all about me generation.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:52 AM

16,899 posts, read 16,044,735 times
There's too much exaggeration, contradiction and nonsense to even bother addressing this 'rant'....other than posting what I am here.
That's my opinion. Absolutely no offense intended!

Old 09-11-2014, 08:27 AM

23,612 posts, read 23,924,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
The funny part about these people is that they aren't the ones you'd usually suspect like the old or infirmed. They're usually younger and look as though they could actually use the extra walk.
Careful with the judging there. You don't know what's going on inside someone's body. For instance, my girlfriend looks "younger" and like she "could actually use the extra walk," but her back is broken from an accident she had at 18. She can't usually be on her feet for more than about 10-15 minutes before the pain starts to get really bad.

I'm not making excuses for thoughtless people. I'm just pointing out that you shouldn't make assumptions about somebody's health. The fact that they're walking doesn't mean that they're healthy.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,336,312 times
Thoughtless is thoughtless, no matter your handicap.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:25 AM

23,559 posts, read 70,077,656 times
My solution was to stop equating my personal value with the appearance of my vehicle. I do agree that shopping cart dings are annoying though, and people can be unthinking.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:34 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,891,961 times
The only time I don't return carts to the cart return is if I went to a store where I receive poor to no service; ie Walmart or Kroger. I don't like having to return carts at stores where I feel like they don't care about me as a customer. But if the store gives me service with a smile, I am more than happy to return the cart. If I don't return the cart, I push the front wheels over a curb area so it won't run into anyone else's car.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The only time I don't return carts to the cart return is if I went to a store where I receive poor to no service; ie Walmart or Kroger. I don't like having to return carts at stores where I feel like they don't care about me as a customer. But if the store gives me service with a smile, I am more than happy to return the cart. If I don't return the cart, I push the front wheels over a curb area so it won't run into anyone else's car.
Well....there's a little insight. I've heard a similar excuse before along the lines of "they pay people to do that, why should I put out the extra effort?" The thing is, you aren't hurting or affecting the store in any way. The only people that those errant carts bother is the other customers. No matter if you drag the front wheels onto the curb, it;s usually obstructing a parking space in some way.

.....and as far as judging people - I wouldn't be so quick to judge a cart left next to a handicapped space even though that could be in the way of the next handicapped individual who parks there. Stores should (and often do) monitor those spaces better than the rest of the lot but with most stores making provisions for customers needing help (motorized carts or help loading groceries into the car) there's really no excuse even for those in"poor" health not to return the damned thing.

I've watched elderly folks who could barely walk take the time to return the cart to a proper space.......and BTW - I am one of "those" people. Doesn't look like there's much wrong with me but between missing discs in my back and neck and nerve damage in one leg, I'm usually in enough pain to light up a small town yet I can still manage to walk in, around and out of the store, so what's the big deal to manage a few more feet before I can relax inside my vehicle and save the next person some trouble?

Quote:
rainroosty There's too much exaggeration, contradiction and nonsense to even bother addressing this 'rant'....other than posting what I am here.
That's my opinion. Absolutely no offense intended!
How could one take offense when you posted nothing of substance? I can only take that to mean that you are one the offending parties and feel too justified in your actions to bother explaining them here.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
My solution was to stop equating my personal value with the appearance of my vehicle. I do agree that shopping cart dings are annoying though, and people can be unthinking.
Ya know Harry - I could give a flying you know what about the appearance of my vehicle. All I want from a ride is the ability to get from point A to point B safely. Granted, I don't encourage dings or scratches, but my old girl has more that her share. It's just errant shopping carts that tic me off plain and simple. Ego has nothing to do with it.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:05 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,891,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
Well....there's a little insight. I've heard a similar excuse before along the lines of "they pay people to do that, why should I put out the extra effort?" The thing is, you aren't hurting or affecting the store in any way. The only people that those errant carts bother is the other customers. No matter if you drag the front wheels onto the curb, it;s usually obstructing a parking space in some way.

.....and as far as judging people - I wouldn't be so quick to judge a cart left next to a handicapped space even though that could be in the way of the next handicapped individual who parks there. Stores should (and often do) monitor those spaces better than the rest of the lot but with most stores making provisions for customers needing help (motorized carts or help loading groceries into the car) there's really no excuse even for those in"poor" health not to return the damned thing.

I've watched elderly folks who could barely walk take the time to return the cart to a proper space.......and BTW - I am one of "those" people. Doesn't look like there's much wrong with me but between missing discs in my back and neck and nerve damage in one leg, I'm usually in enough pain to light up a small town yet I can still manage to walk in, around and out of the store, so what's the big deal to manage a few more feet before I can relax inside my vehicle and save the next person some trouble?

How could one take offense when you posted nothing of substance? I can only take that to mean that you are one the offending parties and feel too justified in your actions to bother explaining them here.
The fact of the matter is, it is NOT my job to put my cart away, IMO, just as it isn't my job to check out my own groceries. That is why people are hired to round up carts. Costco, HEB, and Albertson's has the cart people rounding them up all the time so this isn't a problem. If the store doesn't have the employees do it often enough, that's on the store, not me. However, I won't be rude by allowing my cart to run into anyone's car and damage them, which is why I put them on a curb. Over time, I have noticed many businesses offering less service and charging the same or more for their products. And customers just suck it up and take it. I don't want to check myself out or go to the bank or restaurant and talk to a kiosk. I like the idea of employing human beings and talking to people, rather than machines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products