U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 AM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times

Advertisements

How would you find one?

I don't think this post violates the TOS, but if so I won't be offended if it gets deleted. Since we don't have a MARKETING forum I thought this might be the next best thing.

Full disclosure: I work at a law firm.

I have been trying to tell the partners that where we spend some of our marketing dollars online may not really be the best way to help people find us.
So I thought I'd ask my fellow posters here and do a bit of market research. To hopefully confirm my ideas, or maybe even shoot them down.

I don't want to mention any websites in particular or any other method finding an attorney. I don't want to bias any results (or be accused of advertising for any site).

So I ask you: if you needed an attorney for any reason, how would you go about finding one???

Thanks for an insight. And again, if inappropriate for C-D, please delete. I'm in no way advertising and will not mention the place that I work. This is NOT my reason for posting as I hope I've explained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:53 AM

24,841 posts, read 32,894,325 times
What type of cases does your firm handle???

For a general law firm....I would look in the phone book......and on line.

Personal injury firms do a lot of business with the TV ads. (in Michigan)

Old 09-16-2014, 12:47 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,455,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

So I ask you: if you needed an attorney for any reason, how would you go about finding one???
Get recommendations from friends.
I would never randomly pick one out of a phone book; I would never call those clowns on TV!

Old 09-16-2014, 01:20 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,127,415 times
I know severaL. If they do not handle such case then they will recommend. those o Tv normally see like of a court room and some just take case for other law firms that handle case.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:46 PM

11,849 posts, read 13,976,351 times
Good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What type of cases does your firm handle???
Everything from Criminal to Family Law, Probate to Class Actions to Multi District Litigation to representing several Fortune 500 companies in many different things, Real Estate, M&A, companies buying each other, a little IP... we really do a lot...
(We are NOT the Ambulance chaser type of firm... AS SEEN ON TV)...

Quote:
For a general law firm....I would look in the phone book......and on line.
Specifically WHERE online? That's what I'm looking for. Just a blanket Google\Bing\Yahoo search? or something more specific like a Lawyer Finder type of site.

Phone book, eh? Hmmm. That's one I don't expect a lot of folks to say.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:37 PM

40,083 posts, read 48,999,814 times
We found our attorney through a recommendation from our financial advisor 18 years ago, and have been happy with him ever since.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:58 AM

24,841 posts, read 32,894,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Good stuff.

Everything from Criminal to Family Law, Probate to Class Actions to Multi District Litigation to representing several Fortune 500 companies in many different things, Real Estate, M&A, companies buying each other, a little IP... we really do a lot...
(We are NOT the Ambulance chaser type of firm... AS SEEN ON TV)...

Specifically WHERE online? That's what I'm looking for. Just a blanket Google\Bing\Yahoo search? or something more specific like a Lawyer Finder type of site.

Phone book, eh? Hmmm. That's one I don't expect a lot of folks to say.
On line I would look by cities.

If I had a case in your county/city I would look in your city.

It would be more expensive to hire a firm in a different county.....if it could be avoided.

Travel time is expensive.

Of course I would check the firm out.........and ask a lot of questions.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:46 AM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
The first thing I would now AVOID is a referral by the local bar. (And the other local bar as well! ) I did that once, got overcharged, had unreasonable delays, and the paralegal that did the actual work ended up clouding a title, forcing me to work to correct it. Never again.

Whenever I do any large purchase (and renting a lawyer qualifies as a purchase), I check out reviews and look specifically for negative reviews and patterns within them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or