U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 07:50 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,006,263 times

Advertisements

On Monday morning I checked the USPS tracking number for a package I was expecting. When I checked around 10:30 the status was updated to out for delivery. The package never came that day, despite the fact that we got our regular mail as usual. By that night the tracking was updated to "Delivery status not updated". The next day, the package arrived, by a very lazy postwoman. She was so lazy she didn't knock or even bother to carefully put the package down, she just dropped it on our concrete front step. Thankfully, there was only a few DVDs in there that were well packed and nothing breakable.

Over the last few months I've also gotten several packages shipped via UPS Mail Innovations and FedEx Smartpost. I've never seen a shipping service as slow as these two. UPS Mail innovations took over a week to get a package coming from Virginia to my house there, the shipping warehouse is only about 4 or 5 hours south of my house. My package started in Virginia, Went to the UPS sort facility in North Carolina, was shipped to the USPS office in Linthicum, MD (about 8 miles from my house!), Post office gets it, ships it to their sort facility in New Jersey, and then back to my local post office. Similar story from FedEx smartpost, when my package sat in their Martinsburg, WV sort facility for 4 days. At least it didn't tour the east coast!

Is this your typical experience with these shipping services or have I just been having bad luck with them over the last few months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 08:05 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,671,425 times
You want to see slow? Just wait until someone ships using DHL Global Mail with USPS delivery. I've seen it take the upwards of 10 days to go one state.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:14 PM

4,749 posts, read 5,588,836 times
USPS sucks. I had a package that when they tried to deliver the first time no one was home to receive. The postman didn't leave any slip, but online tracking said "notice left". I went to the post office 5+ times in a span of 5 days and was told each time the package was not there yet (one of them didn't even bother to check). The package seemed lost. So I had the sender ship me replacement, duly received. Then, after some 15 days, that missing package arrived in the post office, with a different tracking number.

USPS seriously needs a complete change of the team. Most of them are retards (this was what another customer in a PO said, actually) working on this job to get federal employee benefits.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:40 PM

25 posts, read 20,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianator View Post
Over the last few months I've also gotten several packages shipped via UPS Mail Innovations and FedEx Smartpost. I've never seen a shipping service as slow as these two. UPS Mail innovations took over a week to get a package coming from Virginia to my house there, the shipping warehouse is only about 4 or 5 hours south of my house. My package started in Virginia, Went to the UPS sort facility in North Carolina, was shipped to the USPS office in Linthicum, MD (about 8 miles from my house!), Post office gets it, ships it to their sort facility in New Jersey, and then back to my local post office. Similar story from FedEx smartpost, when my package sat in their Martinsburg, WV sort facility for 4 days. At least it didn't tour the east coast!

Is this your typical experience with these shipping services or have I just been having bad luck with them over the last few months?
Very typical for services like Innovations, SmartPost, and SurePost. If you buy from a vendor that uses those services, you're basically getting the least expensive, slowest service available (so choose another option if you need it quickly!) Basically, UPS or FedEx deliver to the closest USPS depot, and then the post office delivers it 1-3 days later. In my experience (I own an order fulfillment center) "real" USPS mail gets precedence.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:40 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,006,263 times
I personally loathe Innovations and SmartPost. I've had slightly better results with Surepost. Sometimes with Surepost, UPS will do the final delivery if they're in your area, which happens about half the time. If the post office gets it, it's no better than the other two.

The slow shipping and outrageous shipping charges are why I loathe online shopping. Some of the singers I like are huge in the UK but basically unknown in the US. The only way to get their CDs is to buy them online, which is the ONLY time I shop online. When I tell people about this they usually say "just buy it from Itunes" but I don't want that crap.

I wish online retailers would be more upfront about what shipping service they use. Instead of just saying "Standard shipping and "Expedited shipping" they should list the options like "UPS Surepost", "UPS Ground", and "USPS priority mail". I might pay a little extra to have it shipped to avoid the horrible options, but just can't justify 7 or 8 extra dollars to upgrade to expedited.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:48 PM

9,947 posts, read 9,591,947 times
Here's the catch: You didn't bother to send a real complaint, did you? People don't bother sending complaints, the kind that get passed up the line - so the company has no incentive to be competent.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:29 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,231,834 times
This has to do with Canada Post...

I've ordered a fair number of items online, usually books, and it used to be the case that the package would be left between the side doors, and if the package(s) was too large or had to be signed for, the delivery person would knock. Back then my only beef was when the route apparently was changed and instead of receiving in the early afternoon, suddenly it was 8 to 8:30 am ...

Then the declining fortunes of Canada Post began to be a regular news item, and then finally the labour dispute a few years back coupled with the NDP's pathetic grandstanding in Parliament. Everybody switched to online billing and many small on-line sellers took a real hit and many probably have not recovered or had to quit...

Sure enough, after this Canada Post's financial situation became absolutely dire, and changes had to be made. What I noticed starting happening is that packages were being dropped on the side stop, there for all to see and, yes, exposed to the elements. Package had to be signed for - no more knock, simply a card in the mail slot...

Then one day a book arrived and it was propped up on the side step in such a way that when I went to open the screen door, the book actually served to jam it. I could not believe it. I had to work it free through the narrow opening I managed to force. Afterwards I thought to myself I should have documented what had happened - but it was too late for that... Then sometime later it happened yet (!!!) again - so i took a video this time (which I apparently deleted for some reason).

In the mean time, I had also been placing orders with a bookseller overseas. These were purchases of c. 20 to 30 books, which the seller would ship in two or three boxes, which stacked would be 2.5 to 3 feet high. They did not have tracking, but still it used to be that the delivery person would knock and hand them over. Then, one day I pass by the side door and look out - and there's my order stacked up on the side step. Blocking the door. So I have push the storm door open and knock over the boxes onto the driveway. Ever since, it's been the same story. They could just as well put the boxes on the side of the side step where I could at least open the storm door enough to get out without knocking them over. Or simply beside the side step. But NO, each time the same problem.

Anyway, for whatever reason, I was fortunate enough that these deliveries were always made when the weather was decent. But I wondered... and then sure enough one day when rain was in the forecast and a virtual certainty. The latest (and probably last) order arrived, unceremoniously deposited on the side step and being rained upon (I'm certain there was no knock). Fortunately, I caught this before the boxes because too soaked and the books damaged.

It couldn't have been more than two weeks later it was announced that Canada Post was making a profit for once (in part due to suddenly jacking up prices - which is also screwing me over)...

Added to this is the fact that they want to force the vast majority of us into using "community mailboxes".

Old 09-22-2014, 10:37 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,085,792 times
Never like USPS for delivery; name snail mail is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products