Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:54 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,944,326 times

Advertisements

Shopping cards are everywhere now, especially at grocery and department stores. In my state of Texas, one of our big grocery stores, Kroger, requires shoppers to use a shopper's card in order to redeem their weekly sale items. CVS and Walgreens also have shopper card systems that requires the use of such cards, ostensibly to "save" me money. Even when I buy things that aren't on sale, cashiers hit me up to scan my shopper card. I find the use of these cards annoying, first of all, because I think every customer should get the savings whether they have these dumb cards or not, and also because I have enough required cards as it is, so why do I need to collect more of them? Do you think these cards really save the customer money or are they mostly used to benefit the store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 05:57 PM

22,533 posts, read 47,584,363 times
Why pay full price when you can get rebates and/or discounts just with a card swipe?

Old 09-05-2014, 06:04 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,272,444 times
What I've heard about those store cards is that they generate lots of data about your purchasing history, which is sold to those with an interest in what you buy, like your healthcare insurance company, and other corporations that want to sell you stuff and target market you for it. Supposedly, if you buy what your healthcare provider considers unhealthy food, your premiums can go up. I've not been able to verify this, but they are indeed collecting data on your purchases, and what gets done with that data? Who gets it and what do they use it for?

I have no store cards or rewards cards, nor do I want any. Recently Winn Dixie bought out the Sweetbay chain here, and when I went in to the store I used to shop at all the prices had gone up, unless you had their store card. I never went back there again. I don't like being herded like that.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:42 PM

15,138 posts, read 27,747,332 times
Many of the stores have the option to load online coupons as well - why not save money? (Today for instance, I got 4 boxes of Nature Valley granola bars for a grand total after taxes of $2.98 - I did have two manufacturer coupons so that saved me two but otherwise I got the sale price w/my card and coupons that the store had offered that I'd selected)

Old 09-05-2014, 06:44 PM

22,533 posts, read 47,584,363 times
Glad to see you are not scared off by the remote possibility that 'someone' 'somewhere' MIGHT know that you bought granola bars!

Old 09-05-2014, 06:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,116,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
What I've heard about those store cards is that they generate lots of data about your purchasing history, which is sold to those with an interest in what you buy, like your healthcare insurance company, and other corporations that want to sell you stuff and target market you for it. Supposedly, if you buy what your healthcare provider considers unhealthy food, your premiums can go up. I've not been able to verify this, but they are indeed collecting data on your purchases, and what gets done with that data? Who gets it and what do they use it for?

I have no store cards or rewards cards, nor do I want any. Recently Winn Dixie bought out the Sweetbay chain here, and when I went in to the store I used to shop at all the prices had gone up, unless you had their store card. I never went back there again. I don't like being herded like that.
The bolded part is not true. The data is used for two purposes. To target offers and to identify trends.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,116,554 times
You don't have to carry the physical cards anymore.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:27 PM

15,138 posts, read 27,747,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Glad to see you are not scared off by the remote possibility that 'someone' 'somewhere' MIGHT know that you bought granola bars!
LOL, It is pretty scary

Old 09-05-2014, 08:37 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,405,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Shopping cards are everywhere now, especially at grocery and department stores. In my state of Texas, one of our big grocery stores, Kroger, requires shoppers to use a shopper's card in order to redeem their weekly sale items. CVS and Walgreens also have shopper card systems that requires the use of such cards, ostensibly to "save" me money. Even when I buy things that aren't on sale, cashiers hit me up to scan my shopper card. I find the use of these cards annoying, first of all, because I think every customer should get the savings whether they have these dumb cards or not, and also because I have enough required cards as it is, so why do I need to collect more of them? Do you think these cards really save the customer money or are they mostly used to benefit the store?
I usually just ask the cashier to swipe their card for me. The few times they "didn't have" their card or it was against store policy, I told the cashier that I would be back later, and magically the cashier found a card in the bottom of the drawer, realized that they could just call the manager for an override, had another cashier hand them a card.

Once you are in the store, they don't want to lose your business.

Given that instituting a card program costs for a store chain probably a few million and probably that much to keep it up, it must mean that the data they collect on you is worth at least that much, if not more.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:23 PM

8,037 posts, read 7,407,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It's supposed to be win-win. Because the store is tracking your purchases, you get special coupons based on prior purchases, in addition to your "club" savings. Especially if you stop buying an item at a particular store that's been tracking your purchases.

At some stores the cashier scans a generic "club" card to give you the discounts if you don't have a club card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products