Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 05:36 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times

Advertisements

Unless you're one of those 1% of "returnaholics", why do you care about this?

It's smart business to ban these people. The people who consistently return goods are taking advantage of the system and the rest of us pay for it. Just a fact of life that some people really suck and I'm glad those people are getting inconvenienced for being sucky humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 01:05 PM

7,634 posts, read 8,699,793 times
There is nothing wrong (and I can well understand) that sellers want to discourage customers who make too many returns (not to mention those returning used items). But then why do the sellers claim "satisfaction guaranteed" and "if for any reason you are not satisfied, return it and no question asked", blah, blah? Isn't it to mislead and trap customers? If they didn't make such claims, I think many customers may not have returned so many. And if the seller makes it clear that there is a upper limit for returns, such as if you returned half, or whatever %, of total items you purchased, then the customers will not make excessive returns, either.

I think the actual issue here is not customers making too many returns (the policy tell them it's OK). The issue is really: sellers deliberately mislead customers and create a false impression that they don't need to worry anything about making returns. It's a way to attract buyers, but a lie, really.

p.s. No, I'm not those 1% "returnaholics".

Old 09-27-2014, 05:06 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
But then why do the sellers claim "satisfaction guaranteed" and "if for any reason you are not satisfied, return it and no question asked", blah, blah? Isn't it to mislead and trap customers?
No it's not a trap. Think of it this way...it's supposed to assure satisfaction with the way the product is meant to work, not satisfaction with a choice the consumer made that they later changed their mind about.

If you buy a sleeping pill and it doesn't work for you then bring it back. The 'delicious' new desert you bought tastes awful to you after the the first bite, bring it back. Buttons falling off after one wash, bring it back. Item does not perform satisfactorily.

If you bought a coffee maker and used it, then decided you'd rather have it in black instead of red, or that you need a 12 cup maker instead of a six cup maker that's not dissatisfaction with the product, that's dissatisfaction with your own choice.
Retailers shouldn't have to eat returns because of stuff like that.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:08 PM

5 posts, read 6,865 times
I run and own an Online Retail and it can be very hard. I do not have a satisfaction guarantee though I do have a return for any mistakes that My store has done of course and communication is key. If they are not satisfied, i do want to know why and possibly make it right. I am a family run small business and everything counts though at the same time I did choose to do this and take the good with the bad.

Being in Hawaii, shipping can be a killer.

Tony K.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:19 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong (and I can well understand) that sellers want to discourage customers who make too many returns (not to mention those returning used items). But then why do the sellers claim "satisfaction guaranteed" and "if for any reason you are not satisfied, return it and no question asked", blah, blah? Isn't it to mislead and trap customers? If they didn't make such claims, I think many customers may not have returned so many. And if the seller makes it clear that there is a upper limit for returns, such as if you returned half, or whatever %, of total items you purchased, then the customers will not make excessive returns, either.

I think the actual issue here is not customers making too many returns (the policy tell them it's OK). The issue is really: sellers deliberately mislead customers and create a false impression that they don't need to worry anything about making returns. It's a way to attract buyers, but a lie, really.

p.s. No, I'm not those 1% "returnaholics".
If you have a customer who just can't be satisfied (ie., serial returner), then you DO want to ban them. Their very nature makes it impossible for you, the seller, to meet your guarantee of "satisfaction".

Old 09-30-2014, 02:20 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Blame Amazon.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 PM

My question is, again: why don't sellers just make it clear on their website, what is the maximum return rate accepted? If it is a very generous limit (which often is), then what's the worry? You still retain the "good" customers, and at the same time discourage "bad" ones, and can ban the unacceptable ones by pointing at your clear policy.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:54 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
My question is, again: why don't sellers just make it clear on their website, what is the maximum return rate accepted?
Why don't you show us "one" store front retailer that does.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:57 PM

That's my question, man. Why don't stores do so?

Old 10-01-2014, 10:53 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Because every return idiot would be ordering and returning items until they hit the limit. Costs too much time and money to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products