U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:53 AM

11,121 posts, read 14,796,603 times

Advertisements

If you have to be told a limit, you return too often.
I hardly ever return, but then again I don't buy without having a pretty clear idea of what I want. I'm in retail and MOST people don't excessively return items. It's the small percentage of shopaholics and the dingbats who treat stores like rental shops that are the problem, and truthfully the limit on returns basically only affects those people. The average shopper is rarely going to know about the policy, let alone ever be affected by it.

Why don't stores tell you what the limit is? C'mon think about it, it's not like you can set a finite value on it. It's not just the dollar value of the merchandise, it's also the time spent processing the refund, handling the returned items for back to stock, return to vendor, or trashing them. Guess who's more likely to be barred, someone who returns a defective $500 tv once or one who returns $50 worth of used makeup every month? It's not just about the dollar value.

Last edited by DubbleT; 10-02-2014 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: sticky s key
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 10:38 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,602,644 times
I read something a few years ago saying that some large retailers were tracking returns and that customers who exceed some unspecified level of returns lose their return privileges.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:23 PM

21,540 posts, read 24,671,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I read something a few years ago saying that some large retailers were tracking returns and that customers who exceed some unspecified level of returns lose their return privileges.
Best Buy does it.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:05 PM

40,069 posts, read 48,956,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Best Buy does it.
Also Lowe's and Home Dept.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:19 AM

2,702 posts, read 3,869,177 times
Even large stores will prevent someone from returning items if they have return a certain amount already.....

Old 11-04-2014, 03:34 PM

24,319 posts, read 33,562,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Best Buy does it.
So does Target.

So far this year I've returned items to Home Depot, Lowe's, and Target. All for legit reasons. I had the receipt in all cases except for one time at Home Depot. Nobody gave me any hassle.

I don't make a habit of returning things to stores because it's a pain. But sometimes, things just don't work out.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:53 PM

4,749 posts, read 5,588,836 times
The issue I see is not whether stores should ban customers who make too many returns. The issue, again, is that stores do so while making such claims as "if for any reason you are not satisified, you can return the item, no question asked", "satisfaction guaranteed",... Do one or the other, but not both, please.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:33 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,388,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Blame Amazon.
Why? Cause you don't like them, or is there actually some data that shows Amazon is a bad company to purchase from?

Old 11-06-2014, 05:06 AM

183 posts, read 234,450 times
Its very simple. If you making fun by buying and returning things a lot then they will ban you using your session generated ids and allowed stuff that they collect when you surf their website from a device. Simple.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:07 AM
Status: "MAAA-Make America American Again!" (set 7 days ago)

15,463 posts, read 8,969,043 times
Why would someone go to all the trouble of buying something just to return it (especially returning something by mail)? Returning something is a royal PITA for me. Up to a few years ago, I never returned ANYTHING I bought. And I mean nothing. The hassle of standing in line to complain about a defective item or something I wasn't satisfied with just wasn't worth it. Then right before Xmas 2011, I bought three items in a row that cost $300-$500 each and they were all defective. I sure wasn't going to let that money go down the drain. So I returned all of them. Now I return things that break or I hate. But I sure don't game the system like that. It sounds like some people need a hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or